• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
So, I also just bought and read Volume 17 today and man was it absolutely incredible!! I am actually bursting at the seams to discuss it (it was SOOO intense!!), but I didn't want to interrupt the volume 3 discussion so I just wanted to ask the woman in charge Lydia( Razz ) if it was okay, or if we are going to wait until it is time for that volume's weekly discussion?

I have to agree with you on Vol. 17. I got it today myself.

But, let's wait until it rolls around in the discussion. That will give everyone the chance to either read or re-read it as the case may be.

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
My hopes for volume 17 is that it can break into the top 10 of USA Today's Booklist. That would be the accomplishment of this series and a victory for all FB fans, and it would let us further express our appreciation for this series Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
My hopes for volume 17 is that it can break into the top 10 of USA Today's Booklist. That would be the accomplishment of this series and a victory for all FB fans, and it would let us further express our appreciation for this series Wink

Hear! Hear!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
I too love the way Kyo and Tohru interact especially because I think that in one way it announces the episode that might come between them. I mean, the fact that spoiler[she wants to go after him and she talks to him, seeing that he is very sensitive is definetly a clue that Tohru would be part of his life in a very profound way and it also shows some of the faces that Shigure does when seeing them close. That weasel definetly sees that something is going on there. Very Happy ]

By the way, don't you think that this volume has been handled pretty good in the anime too?! Imean especially the episode when Haru appears (that Ningensei loves so much Wink ) was faithfully represented in the anime.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:

By the way, don't you think that this volume has been handled pretty good in the anime too?! Imean especially the episode when Haru appears (that Ningensei loves so much Wink ) was faithfully represented in the anime.

Yeah, it's extremely funny in the manga, but it is downright HILARIOUS when seen in the anime!
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
Imean especially the episode when Haru appears (that Ningensei loves so much Wink ) was faithfully represented in the anime.

Hehe, yes it's true. I would have to say that my love for Hatsuharu is probably only second to my love for Kyo! Embarassed Heh.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
aya_honda wrote:
Imean especially the episode when Haru appears (that Ningensei loves so much Wink ) was faithfully represented in the anime.

Hehe, yes it's true. I would have to say that my love for Hatsuharu is probably only second to my love for Kyo! Embarassed Heh.

Very Happy I knew it. Laughing Well, another charater is in the second place for me after Kyo, but Haru is definetly one of my favourites. By the way, now that I'm thinking at this, the entire volume three has been faithfully represented in the anime. I like that very much. Too bad that it had to "slip" towards the end... Shocked
Ningensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, I won't be able to join in the volume 4 discussions until Tuesday (maybe Monday night) because I am leaving tomorrow to go camping. Please discuss it fully in my absence! Heh. Razz
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Well, I won't be able to join in the volume 4 discussions until Tuesday (maybe Monday night) because I am leaving tomorrow to go camping. Please discuss it fully in my absence! Heh. Razz

Have a fun time! We'll be waiting for you when you come back!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
So were we going to get started on volume 4 discussions?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Sorry, My Dad bought some short stories that caught me up in their web.

So here we go! Onto Vol. 4!

Chapter 19 has probably the best two scenes in several volumes. Kyo spoiler[Kyo standing VERY protectively over Tohru. And Haru absolutely befuddling the Student Body President when he objected to Momiji's wearing of a Girl's Uniform.] That section was absolutely wild! And what added delight was Tohru not understand how Haru could "prove" his natural hair color! Embarassed

Chapter 20 shows Tohru being absolutely courageous! spoiler[Pushing Akito away from Yuki!] It's interesting to see how Takaya-san draws Yuki in the pages just afterward...with his arms wrapped around himself. Actually, I didn't notice that until now but that is an excellent subtle and subliminal way of showing how much even seeing Akito hurts Yuki.

Chapter 21 we meet the bane of Yuki's existence - Big Brother Ayame spoiler[the Snake!] What a trip he is! And mix him with Shigure and his nonsense and the House becomes an absolute uproar! With Kyo and Yuki hating every minute. And Shigure egging Ayame on. Even in this chapter you see that Ayame is trying to connect with Yuki...even if he doesn't quite know how to go about it.

Chapter 22 just shows how quickly Ayame can drive people up the wall. Just read his explanations about how he got to keep his long hair and the "school trip" incident. It also makes you feel very sorry for Hatori and what he's had to put up with over the years in dealing with both Ayame and Shigure. It also shows how much Ayame actually looks up and listens to Hatori.

Chapter 23 shows us the tragedy that is hidden behind Momiji's cheerful smile. The fact that spoiler[his own mother had to have her memories erased because she couldn't accept the fact that he was born a member of the Zodiac. And the fact that he can't be close to her or his little sister.]

Chapter 24 the gang goes to spoiler[Kyoko's grave to honor her on the anniversary of her death. Hana and Arisa startle Yuki and Kyo with their manner of dress and the fact that they are having lunch in front of the grave.]

The most interesting part of this final chapter is Kyo's final line as he's sitting watching the sleeping Tohru - spoiler["What should I call this feeling? Still sleeping in my undeveloped heart...the flower in my heart."] Gee, methinks our Kyo is beginning to realize something...don't you think so?
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:52 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

Sorry, My Dad bought some short stories that caught me up in their web.

So here we go! Onto Vol. 4!

You ask and she delivers. Wink Very Happy

Now, what I apreciate very much about this volume is first of all the interaction between Tohru and Akito. The moment Akito came to school I was under the impression that bad things are going to happen but at that time I didn't know just how far this character was about to go. Anyways, I loved the moment when Tohru and Akito met. spoiler[I think that this was a turning point in all the story because we see Akito's poisonous attitude towards Tohru and she pretends to compliment her when actually she thinks she is superior to Tohru. Later on in the car she tells to Hatori that Tohru is ugly and that now she is sure that she won't be forgotten therefore lose in front of her. ] I think that this is the biggest mistake that Akito could have possibly made. To spoiler[ think so little about Tohru.... Seeing her like someone insignificant definetly left Akito off guard and therefore Tohru managed to win the hearts of all the others. Akito became much too confident in her power to terrify.... By underestimating Tohru she succeeded in opening a door for the girl in the Sohma family. ]

Still in relation to the Akito episode....There are still so much to say. Shocked I was now interested in the dinamic between Akito and Yuki and Kyo. We have two types of attitudes: on the one hand we have Yuki spoiler[who is terrified by Akito's mere presence and the memories which he is obliged to live in her presence. I think it proves that Yuki suffered so much because of Akito that it will take a long time to heal. Plus, I think that if it wasn't for Tohru, he might have fallen back into Akito's power. ] On the other hand, we have Kyo, the cat, the guy that doesn't fit anywhere. spoiler[He is watching everything from the window, but unlike Yuki he has some sort of rebellious attitude, even when Akito spots him at the window. Used to being kicked out and bullied Kyo has more a rebellous and even fierce attitude towards Akito. Akito's power over Kyo is making him believe that he doesn't deserve anything.]
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Hi all,

I got Lydia's reminder and thought I'd pop in and say I'm still around. I just got back from a week at the beach. I'm too tired at the moment to read the two pages of posts I've missed. But I will in the next few days and hopefully have something to contribute.

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
The story with Ayame was definetly one of my favorite moments of that volume, spoiler[I had never seen Yuki be so upset with anybody and have the situation be as hilarious as it was. With Shigure having to explain certain parts of the situation to TOhru, and then Aya himself got to explain the rest to the gang.]
Hatsuharu spoiler[being able to prove his natural hair color also proves a funny story within the volume four. But I have to say Kyo's reaction to Momiji was even better Laughing Kyo seems to love to hit Momiji, and that situation brought out some of the best between those two, because later situations between these two will be of a different valor.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think that Momiji's natural exuberance is a little wearing on Kyo. You have to admit Momiji's "up" most all of the time. The instances when he's "down" are very rare and usually connected to his spoiler[Mother and Sister.] So it's probably difficult for Kyo to deal with. He also has a hard time dealing with Ayame's exuberance as well.

Then, of course, there is the whole spoiler[Girl's Uniform] thing, so Kyo being as shy and sensitive as he is, probably doesn't want anyone coming up and asking him why his younger cousin is wearing a spoiler[Girl's Uniform.]

BTW - Welcome back, Murph!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 89 of 170