• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Saber Rattling

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
Actually, all the nostalgic characters have been announced (Nash, Birdie, R. Mika, Karin). The only remaining characters are 2 classic and 2 new. And even though I want Sodom aka ultimate weaboo back, he most likely will either be DLC or not show up at all.

It's 8 classic, 4 old, 4 new.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
I swore I'd never buy another Persona remake/spinoff/crossover (I think I own at least 4 now with the PS2 version, Golden, Arena, and Q), but if they remake it with a heroine option I'd preorder that day one. I-I'm not a sucker for Persona or anything!

....on an unrelated note, Dancing All Night is a real temptation.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
Konami's damage control is continuing, it's sad and pathetic, they have nothing left in this industry, their reputation is tarnished for good, they failed to bring a stellar game that the world would love into TGS, and they are still are pushing mobile/pachinko development over all else.

Phil Spencer yesterday pretty much royally exposed the console war and the corporate slaves that fuel it and I agree that the console war has become distasteful and it's not about the games (check Youtube and you'll find all the corporate slaves defending their console of choice almost to the death sometimes to point of being just plain dumb or just plain angry and threatening, you see it all).

As for games, the Famitsu review for Yoru no Nai Kuni was a bit interesting in the story category, what the review alludes is that we may have a Sakura Trick of gaming as it says that the story is quite saccharine. I can't wait to see how sweet the story and character interactions are and I also can't wait to play Tokyo Xanadu, it seemed like a good game from the start.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
Mega Man Legends 1 getting a rerelease?!

Bravo Capcom! Sure you've been terrible the last few years,but I thank you for going the extra mile at finally getting the Legends series released again!
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Yup, Mega Man Legends on the PSN next week made my week already. Great news from Capcom.

Good section on the crowdfunding front. Cross Fate does sound interesting(but I don't back PC only games).

And yeah, Konami is obviously pathetically exiting the console market. The only Metal Gear games we'll see will either be mobile f2p (or as Jim Sterling says "pay to win") or pachislot.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Street Fighter V: I just want my Blanka to be in there. I would literally ask for nothing else...okay maybe a guest star appearance by a non-Tekken Namco character for the sheer hell of it, like one of the Tales martial artists (I recall you made a suggestion like that on a previous X Button article, which is something I would still totally go for).

Quote:
Technically, she's the creation of Masahiko Nakahira, having debuted in his Sakura Ganbaru! manga, but that makes little difference to CAPCOM.

Wait, so you're saying they didn't work out a deal with him? They're just slapping Karin in for the hell of it and that's all?

Persona 5:

Quote:
It's like Super Mario 64 with more psychosexual demons!

Lol Todd, that statement definitely warrants a "Mamma mia!" XD

Persona 4 Dancing All Night: At this point, I'm just really tired of Persona 4 and anything related to it. I'm ready to welcome the fifth installment with open arms. I get that P4 spiked in popularity like crazy thanks to how well-received P3 was, but enough already.

Quote:
Some fans are harshly disappointed that Laura Bailey isn't voicing Rise for Dancing All Night.

Harsh is right, and not even that word is enough to describe said jerk fans. They've gone out of their way to hate on the new actress like you wouldn't believe and don't seem to understand what the term "scheduling conflict" means when you try to explain why Laura wasn't available for voice recording. They're stubbornly shaking their heads at every logical explanation and saying, "But Laura should still have been the voice for Rise!" The Persona fandom has become one of those many detestable gaming groups I can't stand. It's bad enough they think Persona 1 and 2 both suck only on the grounds those games didn't have their precious Social Links, but this is some of the worst behavior I've ever seen. I wonder if any of these clowns have sent personal attacks to Ashly Burch yet, claiming she "ruined Rise". I wouldn't put it past them.

Also Available: If all goes well they can release Legends 2 in addition, and then anyone can enjoy all three entries of a Mega Man series that got its plug pulled way too early. Of course, all Mega Man Legends 2 will do is remind everyone that spoiler[poor Mega Man Volnutt is still stuck on Elysium], but at least they'll have the memories of the journey.
Makeinu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I do wonder why Atlus USA don't include Japanese audio tracks in any of their releases. I usually like the core cast members of any of their dubs well enough, but like with any other form of entertainment, an option to experience their games in the original language would be appreciated.
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
BATTLE CHASERS
Platforms: Xbox One, PlayStation 2, Windows, Mac
Ends: Saturday, October 10

*blink*

Are you sure you don't need to double up on one of those?
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Makeinu wrote:
I do wonder why Atlus USA don't include Japanese audio tracks in any of their releases. I usually like the core cast members of any of their dubs well enough, but like with any other form of entertainment, an option to experience their games in the original language would be appreciated.

That's just how they operate. They're dedicated to releasing quality English dubs, which they do. Plus, it's likely an issue of getting the rights to the Japanese voices. Similar with procuring the rights for opening and ending theme song music (negotiation with the artist/band's record label), the Japanese audio is a permission issue. Some studios don't even permit it outright and would rather a person import the Japanese version if they want to hear the Japanese voices that badly.
NuGaiNM7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Harsh is right, and not even that word is enough to describe said jerk fans. They've gone out of their way to hate on the new actress like you wouldn't believe and don't seem to understand what the term "scheduling conflict" means when you try to explain why Laura wasn't available for voice recording. They're stubbornly shaking their heads at every logical explanation and saying, "But Laura should still have been the voice for Rise!" The Persona fandom has become one of those many detestable gaming groups I can't stand. It's bad enough they think Persona 1 and 2 both suck only on the grounds those games didn't have their precious Social Links, but this is some of the worst behavior I've ever seen. I wonder if any of these clowns have sent personal attacks to Ashly Burch yet, claiming she "ruined Rise". I wouldn't put it past them.

I mean, I'm not a Risefan, but not having Laura as Rise is a major blow against my overall P4 experience. After spending over 100 hours playing P4G, Laura becomes Rise, IMO. This kinda is different from the Chie voice change too; Erin Fitzgerald does a different take on Chie, compared to Tracey Rooney's Chie. Ashly just doesn't make her Rise voice...different/unique enough from Laura's. Maybe it's because Ashly is fairly new to the (voice) acting scene or whatever.

BTW, please don't trash the entire Persona fandom because you've seen some bad behavior from a few people. Personally, I would love to play P1 & P2, but can't do to money/time constraints.

Just-another-face wrote:
That's just how they operate. They're dedicated to releasing quality English dubs, which they do. Plus, it's likely an issue of getting the rights to the Japanese voices. Similar with procuring the rights for opening and ending theme song music (negotiation with the artist/band's record label), the Japanese audio is a permission issue. Some studios don't even permit it outright and would rather a person import the Japanese version if they want to hear the Japanese voices that badly.

I kinda agree, but it's more likely that they don't want Japanese people reverse-importing games (stupid high Japanese prices). Just kinda sucks that Atlus will not release DLC that contains dual-audio after launch. People (myself included) would pay for Japanese audio in their games.
(Also, Nana is in P5! Nothing will ever compare to glorious Nana voicing main girl!!!)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
NuGaiNM7 wrote:
BTW, please don't trash the entire Persona fandom because you've seen some bad behavior from a few people. Personally, I would love to play P1 & P2, but can't do to money/time constraints.

I'm not talking about a few people here and there. When it was announced that Ashly would provide the new voice, large portions of the fandom literally exploded with protests and insults on GameFAQs and YouTube. They were judging her based on one short trailer. One trailer. And yes, Ashly Burch is fairly new to the voice scene, so people need to give her a chance before demanding she get in front of a firing squad.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
NuGaiNM7 wrote:
I kinda agree, but it's more likely that they don't want Japanese people reverse-importing games (stupid high Japanese prices).

Reverse-importing was another reason I wanted to point out actually. I wasn't sure how to put it because don't Japanese gamers still have to pay shipping fees for the overseas version regardless, or is the English version released in Japan eventually?
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Makeinu wrote:
The only games I know that kinda only offer dual audio is only Persona 4 Arena, and its sequel, Ultimax. I'm not sure any other game from Atlus, besides certain other titles from other developers leave JP audio only (besides mostly the fighters they brought out of.), and the one English release of AoT: Humanity in Chains, which is surprisingly JP audio only.

But yeah, I get what you mean...
NuGaiNM7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
NuGaiNM7 wrote:

I'm not talking about a few people here and there. When it was announced that Ashly would provide the new voice, large portions of the fandom literally exploded with protests and insults on GameFAQs and YouTube. They were judging her based on one short trailer. One trailer. And yes, Ashly Burch is fairly new to the voice scene, so people need to give her a chance before demanding she get in front of a firing squad.

Again, those people (I'm discounting most of the Youtube commenters because they're usually just there to troll and be mean) are a really, really vocal minority. I mean, me and my friend are disappointed with the change but we don't go posting around message boards unless we need info/help with something. They're are probably tons of people that are sad by the change but don't instantly start spewing verbal abuse at Ashly.

Also, the Dojima Mask is amazing! Literally my sides went to orbit!

Just-another-face wrote:
NuGaiNM7 wrote:
I kinda agree, but it's more likely that they don't want Japanese people reverse-importing games (stupid high Japanese prices).

Reverse-importing was another reason I wanted to point out actually. I wasn't sure how to put it because don't Japanese gamers still have to pay shipping fees for the overseas version regardless, or is the English version released in Japan eventually?

They have to import it from the west, so the initial buying price + shipping & handling fees. And somehow all that combined is still cheaper then the regular Japanese prices!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and it may well re-emerge once Guillermo Del Toro picks up the pieces of his P.T. demo and tries to make a survival-horror game by another name.

I'm afraid I've got some bad news for anyone that liked the idea of a Del Toro helmed video game
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/14/guillermo-del-toro-vows-never-to-work-on-a-video-game-again

Hoppy800 wrote:
Konami's damage control is continuing, it's sad and pathetic, they have nothing left in this industry, their reputation is tarnished for good, they failed to bring a stellar game that the world would love into TGS.

This shouldn't have surprised anyone Todd pretty much summed of the state of all Konami's ip's though I think he's wrong on Kojima being tired of Metal Gear.

belvadeer wrote:

The Persona fandom has become one of those many detestable gaming groups I can't stand. It's bad enough they think Persona 1 and 2 both suck only on the grounds those games didn't have their precious Social Links,

Well it's not like this isn't true among some of the other legit issues marring the first two Persona games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2