• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
@Psycho 101

Let me know what you think of Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service. I've been reading it since the beginning and consider it one of my favorites. It just doesn't come out here often enough.

With its fairly realistic artwork it should be a horror manga. However, the very matter of fact attitude of the students tends to make it more funny and informative. I think I have learned more about Japanese burial and other customs regarding the dead than could be obtained from any other non academic source.

If you haven't already you should check out the author's other series MPD - Psycho. That one is horrifying.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I was reading Freezing. Entertaining erotica seinen manga. It's a bit crude and the characters and the plot are fairly cliche but I am finding it an entertaining page turner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
As there is barely any manga sold in my city, I am forced to resort to scanlations. I am currently waiting for the last volume of chapters of iShoujo to be scanlated.

I steer away from most ecchi and fanservicey stuff like DxD among others but this and Monster Musume appeal to me mainly because of the romance-focused stories they entail. I'm weirded out by the fact that I'm still invested in iShoujo.

While I am currently reading that, I plan on reading Part 5: Vento Aureo of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Although I think it is probably the worst part of Jojo, I'm still gonna read it just to fully caught up with Jojo.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:58 am Reply with quote
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
As there is barely any manga sold in my city, I am forced to resort to scanlations. I am currently waiting for the last volume of chapters of iShoujo to be scanlated.

Ever tried ordering online?
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Herald Of JOJO wrote:

Well, I'm without a credit card so no. Believe me, given the opportunity I would jump on buying all of the volumes of iShoujo as well as preorder the volumes of Ultraman.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Herald Of JOJO wrote:

I spend over 3000 dollars on Manga over the past 2 years ordering online. I don't know why anyone would buy Manga at a physical store. If there is any it's probably a mediocre seven seas erotica title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Since that These Manga Need an Anime! article was posted, I've been checking out some of the Alice in the Country of Hearts/Clover manga.

I was indifferent to Boris before I read Cheshire Cat Waltz, but he's now one of my picks for Alice's love interest, though Julius still has the top spot.

I'm still undecided if I want to check out Circus and Liar's Game since I'm getting the impression that it's a Blood route series.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Currently reading Lotte no Omocha, Moyashimon, Haganai, and Actually I am. The latter two have been super exciting so before I knew it I've found myself buying all the volumes for those two series.
tmokbel1965

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys! I am currently reading One-Punch Man, because a friend recommended it. It is actually quite good. Its got some good comedy mixed in with the action!
jay19

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
Any recommendations for someone like me who doesn't like too much action and violence and more on the sweet and romantic kind of manga?
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote
^
I recommend that you try the Official Manga Recommendation Thread.Smile

Unfortunately it is not organized into genres but scanning through a few pages might give you some ideas, and if not then you can ask for recommendations there. I might have a few for you.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Reading Asano's Solanin. I read previously an earlier Asano manga which I didn't care about (I didn't understand it to be sincere), but this one appears to be far more accessible for a "beginner" like me (beginner because I would think one would need to read a couple million pages of manga to be an expert). Asano's characters are very realistic and it feels just like real life, like the best Japanese fiction. So far has been great since I only read the first few chapters.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
About a month ago I watched the anime of Cross Game for about the dozenth time and followed it up by reading the manga for the first time since the final volume was published and the first time "with" the anime. After that it hit me how strange that I've never searched out more of Mitsuru Adachi's works. Other than Cross Game I've only watched Touch (series and all animated movies).

So, I've been on a tear ever since (and may have run out of translated and on the internet works.

First, Miyuki. I watched the anime first, which I found disappointing. Luckily the manga is better., It's still a victim of it's more sexist time and could use a more likable MC but I really felt the emotion that had buit up in the conclusion. There was also this one scene that somehow really hit me with a perfectly delivered line: "Miyuki... this is a dead end." Funny, sad, and poignant at the same time. Adachi is a master of little moments, and that is one of his best.

Next, H2 (anime first)
It's his longest, and honestly it feels long... despite the fact that there really isn't anything unnecessary (well, maybe Sagawa's introductory arc- that could have been done better at half the length).
It did succeed in defying some of my expectations, although ultimately it did end almost exactly how I figured it would. It was the journey that surprised me a little- the way character's knew things were wrong but couldn't break out of the situations they created felt really authentic. The length maybe contributed to what I think is it's finest attribute, the quality of the foreshadowing and the way Adachi's little moments come together to inform the conclusion in such perfect ways. I did a search for mentions of H2 here on the forum and was a little surprised to find some people think it was finished open-ended. Nothing is explicitly stated but as I see it there is not a single question unanswered. We know who and why Hikari ends up with and If we take what is said about the characters seriously, we even know who wins the final game... it's just not really important.

Next, Niji-iro Tōgarashi
This one is fun, but it definitely has its problems. The environmental message is clumsy, the big bads go nowhere so new ones have to be created... the wasp... the genre was probably refreshing to write but it really isn't his thing but the worst problem is the romantic leads. Adachi's works soar on good couples but this pair are weak. There really isn't any good reason for the two be romantically at odds with each other, it doesn't work. It also fails completely to establish romantic rivals. The merchant's daughter is a hollow character and the recognized princess is a combo of comic relief and a lonely girl who needs her brothers more than a romantic interest. I will say the adventures are pretty fun. The duels with the lost brother swordsman are meaningful, each stop at a town brings an interesting situation.
In the end, I guess I'm glad I watched it, but it could be better.

Q and A
Yep, I can see why this one failed to get a big audience. Is it his only marginal "failure" in his career? It's pleasant and has a good hook, but it never goes anywhere. I wonder if being in a monthly magazine and the loss of weekly feedback is what did this in. You never really get the impact of the brother's death in this one. IF he had done a Cross Game-type beginning and let us get to know the brother before he died then maybe it could have worked. It also might have helped to establish the MC's relationships with the other hometown characters, especially the main girl. As it is, the ghost brother projects little sympathy and the relationship with the girl has no tension. Then we have the out-of-nowhere "he's actually a talented runner" aspect and of course, the end. Obviously ended before originally planned but the dream ending was awkward and downright weird.

Touch
Although I had watched the anime adaptations, I had never read the manga. I can see why this was such a big thing when it came out, but personally, when I compare it to H2 and Cross Game, it suffers big time.
Part 1 is such a slog! Even before spoiler[Kazuya's death] it's a very melancholic story. It's all repressed emotions and the possibility of heartbreak. There's sweetness there but its always paired with the knowledge that the happiness of the girl and one brother hinges on the unhappiness of the other brother. Kazuya is just such a bland character too, he's there for the others to react to. Although the second half is (slightly oddly) lighter and funnier, it too mixes odd types of cruelty into the story and ultimately does not really address the grief of the main couple or completely move on. The sequel movies don't really help much either. The series was successful for not letting the characters commit... so the movies dragged that on.

I'm wondering if that will addressed in...

Mix (and if he'll keep those movies as part of the story... did Adachi even have anything to do with the plotting of those?)
Anyways, even in the limited run it's had so far, you can see Mix is going to be another high point. All characters are interesting and have personality. The girls are strong characters and you can see how they both have a different appeal for our MC.
I'm really hoping he can hold off on killing another main character though. We already have two dead parents, I think that should be good enough... Kill Punch(3), that'll get people crying without being too traumatic (I always wanted the TV version dead- she was a jerk!)

...I thought I might take a break now but I just discovered a source for the manga of Hiatari Ryoukou... so, onwards with his Shojo classic...

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
^Uh, I have a feeling something there that's bolded was meant to be in spoiler tags....

As for me, read some more of So Cute, It Hurts!, and yes, getting diabetes from reading this is kind of painful! This manga is soooo painfully cute, I think that reading both it and My Love Story has sealed my fate on getting diabetes. If you like ridiculously cute things, I say go for it! I'm usually not big into cross dressing+romance, but thankfully, the inevitable reveal that they were cross dressing the whole time comes mercifully fast, letting it just go back to focusing on the romance, so that's cool. I'll be curious to see how well it goes for 15 volumes, but so far, the first 3 are made of solid sugar.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
^Uh, I have a feeling something there that's bolded was meant to be in spoiler tags....

whoops, yeah. I get in the pattern of using one and I do it too many times. It is one of anime's most open secrets though, it's what Touch is most known for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 133 of 154