• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any manga with a relationship between a human and a giant robot?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d-ninja

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I know there are series like chobits, or hand maid may, where there's a relationship between a human and a robot, but are there any sries involving a relationship with a giant robot, like a sentient gundam or something?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
So a relationship between a guy/girl and a giant robot?How would that even work. How would they have kids? Never mind, don't answer that for me lol. I cannot think of any myself so hopefully someone else can help. Though that sounds like a more far fetched idea for a relationship even by anime/manga standards.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
How about Evangelion? Shinji operates a rather large robot that apparently contains his mother in some shape or fashion. That would be a relationship, right?

@d-ninja
I think the problem you have in posing this question is that most giant robots are piloted and are not actually sentient. I expect there are exceptions though. Didn't one of the early anime series have the kid sit on the robot's shoulder when he went into action?

Something to keep in mind is that most giant robots are war machines of one degree or another, basically funny looking tanks. I can see where people would be reluctant to put that kind of destructive power in an AI. For a good example of the potential problems you should read the second volume of the Appleseed manga. You could also check out the portion of the Black Magic manga that was made into an anime. (both are by Shirow) Neither features a giant robot as such but both involve war machines either self directed or computer directed and run amok.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Didn't one of the early anime series have the kid sit on the robot's shoulder when he went into action?

That sounds like Giant Robo.
If I remember correctly the boy and the robot did have a relationship of sorts. They were like friends or brothers.
I do not think that it had a manga.

I cannot think of a manga with a giant real robot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Do you mean, like, a romantic relationship? Because I am simply at a loss for that, unless you want a hentai (I'm sure there's a hentai out there of that, logically speaking, there is a hentai of everything weird. I do not know what said hentai would be, but it must exist).

I mean, I can hardly even name any sentient giant robots in the first place. Some seem to have implied limited communication sentience, like the Eva Units or RahXephon, but there are just few fully talking and thinking ones in the first place. In fact, the only ones I can really think of are the ones from GaoGaiGar, which is basically a super sentai team except they're all giant robots. And the main dude is a cyborg, but his brain is fully human, so I'm not even sure that would help. But even when GGG Final has those two chick robots, I don't think any robot romance happens period.
Also, Zoids, but they are sentient like an animal, not like a human.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
You're looking for Idolm@ster Xenoglossia, which is basically a love story between young girls and their giant robots. It's watchable but don't expect it to blow your socks off.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
^
It looks like the manga for that was only one volume and was never licensed outside of Japan.

Are the robots in Idolm@ster Xenoglossia sentient? I have never seen the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
Oh, I guess he was asking about manga. Most of the titles being listed I associate with anime. Didn't even notice what subforum I was in. :p

They are sentient, they choose their own pilots and have some limited communication ability.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
I do not know if d-ninja is reading this thread that he started, but I am getting curious about the topic of robots in manga.
I did a genre search and found only a few manga with human-sized robots, such as Chobits and Karakuri Odette (both of which I really like). There were no giant robots.
One problem with the genre search is that it depends on somebody actually adding the appropriate tags to the encyclopedia pages, and that often does not happen. Also I limited my search to licensed manga.

So, even if we omit the requirements for sentience and a relationship, are there any manga with giant robots?
"Giant" is rather ambiguous, so just use your own definition.
I am using "robot" to mean a machine that operates autonomously. Meaning that it has no pilot, either on board or directing it by remote control.

If we find any giant robots then we can think about sentience and relationships.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Quote:
I am using "robot" to mean a machine that operates autonomously.

While I agree that this is the standard western definition of a robot, I think you will find that for historical reasons, it is not what is used by anime fans of "giant robot" shows. From some of the discussions I have seen in the Anime and Talkback forums, they apparently consider large piloted humanoid machines to be "giant robots". Also there are numerous subdivisions and exceptions under this heading with a lot of disagreement as to specifics. Apparently fans of this type of show do not frequent the manga forum.

With regard to licensed manga, I remember Tokyo Pop did a Gundam manga back in the early Mixxzine days (late 1990s) and I think Viz may have also. I'm fairly sure Gundam qualifies as a "giant robot" but as far as I know is neither sentient or autonomous. Aside from that I can't think of any licensed manga involving giant robots.

Thinking a bit outside the box, the ships and their mental models of Arpeggio of Blue Steel are both sentient and autonomous and operate a large piece of machinery. Since the sentience manifests as a girl a relationship (even a romantic relationship) is possible. This is a licensed manga.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Touma wrote:
Quote:
I am using "robot" to mean a machine that operates autonomously.

While I agree that this is the standard western definition of a robot, I think you will find that for historical reasons, it is not what is used by anime fans of "giant robot" shows.

I am well aware of that, and it is exactly why I went to the trouble of giving the definition of what I am interested in, which may not be the same as what d-ninja intended.

Quote:
... Arpeggio of Blue Steel...

That looks interesting and worth trying. Thank you.
And it seems to fit this category if you do not require the actual robots to have a humanoid appearance.
And it does seem to be the only possibility, so far.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
@Touma

The only problem is that by your definition, there is no such thing as a giant robot. If you include anime, there are only a couple that are not simply piloted machines. I think that when an author gives a machine human intelligence and autonomy they usually want it to be of human scale so it can interact with humans.

By the way, the space ships in both Lost Universe and Outlaw Star are both sentient and autonomous. Unfortunately they are anime only as far as I know.

You may be interested in the science fiction novel "The Ship Who Sang" and its sequels by Anne McCaffery, however those are actual disabled humans using a ship or city as a prosthetic body.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Touma

The only problem is that by your definition, there is no such thing as a giant robot.

That is not a problem it is just information.
If there are none then that is what I want to know.

But this is not my thread, and I am hoping that d-ninja will come back with some comments.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I hope I'm wrong, but this seems to be another in a long list of threads where the OP never shows up again. In this case d-ninja still has only one post listed which means he has posted no where else in the forums since he started the thread. He didn't come across as a troll, it is a reasonable question. This is a not uncommon pattern which I don't understand.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
By the way, the space ships in both Lost Universe and Outlaw Star are both sentient and autonomous. Unfortunately they are anime only as far as I know.
Lost Universe is originally a light novel, but I know that's not very helpful since there's no translations of it. ^^;

It's actually not that difficult to think of anime with sentient robots (giant or no), but I'm not as familiar with manga so it's hard to know what has manga and what doesn't. It's a bit out there but GitS SAC has the Tachikomas which IIRC get rather attached to Batou; I think there's a manga spinoff based on them. They're not "giant" exactly but they're bigger than humans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2