• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
We specifically don't do hate-watching reviews. That just invites all sort of potential trouble.

Since we started the "rate this show" feature, I've noticed that there tends to be a fairly strong correlation between how high the Community Score is for a series and how likely it is to get voted in for weekly streams. On that basis, Anti-Magic Academy is in trouble, since its score is currently in the same ballpark as Sky Wizards Academy, which didn't get voted in last season.

Of course, there are occasional exceptions, such as Chaos Dragon last season, but I think there were some special circumstances in play there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
liquidblueocean

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
For the Perfect Insider reviews on the Preview Guide:

- Having reviewers review something when they state they don't like the genre isn't very helpful!

I also understand that the first episode
- had a pretty mild inciting incident (going on a camping trip to clear up rumours)
- Didn't have explosions, harems, fantasy or robots (yet?), but did have a huge swag of mysterious circumstances.

Most of the reviewers only gave it 50% for these 3 reasons, which doesn't help anyone who likes anime that is directed at older users.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Of course, there are occasional exceptions, such as Chaos Dragon last season, but I think there were some special circumstances in play there.

Sometimes the people just want blood.
Yuoaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed The Perfect Insider quite a bit, though I do hope that future episodes do more than just wax philosophical for twenty minutes. Anti-Magic Academy was not good at all but I enjoyed it, nonetheless, at least the main heroine in this series doesn't use fire magic as well, I guess.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Key wrote:

Sometimes the people just want blood.

Some people just want to watch the world burn. In the cause of Inori, literally. For Chaos Dragon, it may have been that the second episode wasn't as terrible as the first (or the latter half of the series) and people had some hope it would get better. Or they wanted to make a reviewer sit through that mess. Thank you for your service, JesuOtaku *bows politely*.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
In regards to Chaos Dragon: I find that a review of something horrible is more fun to read/listen/watch then a review of something good.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Anti-Magic Academy: 2 / 5. Eh... honestly I didn't think it was that terrible, maybe because it's not a pure LN clone like the other two, it doesn't waste time in one place, and the direction is half-competent in some parts (basically colors, the action scene and some of the voice actors). It still sucks though, but if you forced me to watch one out of those three I would choose this one, or maybe Asterics War, I don't know.

Perfect Insider: 4 / 5. I really enjoyed this because of the reasons Nick said, mainly because the show has a sense of humor about itself and knows how to kind of poke fun to Sohei, both in the lack of focus he has and some parts here and there like the cake lady or some of Moe's comebacks, and his worldview is so wrong and pretentious that it's clear the author isn't going to agree with him (in fact, if it does, that would be hilariously fascinating especially given this framing, although also frustrating to watch). I didn't think it was bland or substanceless, there was good wit in their interactions. I agree though it's basically all talk and doesn't get to the point yet, but okay, I was expecting that and I still enjoyed the ride. I also really like Asano's designs on the screen being so well modeled (the first reason I picked interest to this show), especially when Sohei is putting medicine in his eyes Anime hyper

But yep, if despite the self-awareness of the dialogue you still cannot stomach it, this is not the best choice because we can tell from here there's going to be a whoooole lot more, part because this is based on a novel, and part because the author likes that style even if he's aware that can be a little full of himself.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
If you don't like sure fare ... clearly smitten with brilliant professor Setsuko Gido [Sohei Saikawa] ... and a supposed murderer (or her parents) ... writers here seem to have lost side of that.

I'm kind of thinking Theron's auto-correct wrote most of that. Smile Also, is it a bug or a coincidence that Theron and Nick used the exact same screen-shot?

As far as the episode goes, I have to agree with Nick. It seems to me that the series realizes these people are pretentious twits, though future episodes might prove me wrong on that. I guess I just enjoyed watching them spar, although Moe made me want to smack her a couple of times. Even then it was because they really captured her being a normal teenager in those moments.

I dunno, maybe it's just nostalgia goggles. My teenage self would probably have eaten up their philosophical claptrap with a spoon thinking they were being truly profound. Laughing
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I was right in suspecting that Nick was going to be more open minded toward The Perfect Insider. I pretty much agree with all he wrote about the first episode. I hope Nick does the streaming reviews because I usually enjoy his takes with philosophical and character driven shows (like SNAFU).

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daerian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
liquidblueocean wrote:

Most of the reviewers only gave it 50% for these 3 reasons, which doesn't help anyone who likes anime that is directed at older users.

It really helps, if I know that I'm getting into pseudo-philosophical story I would have been better prepared for it.
This series has very big problem - it tries very hard to be seen as intellectual, while it (at this moment) really isn't. It has all the failings of series trying to be seen as intellectual and "deep", while really having no real substance to it. This could change later, but there is really nothing strong in this one yet.
Being directed at older is nowhere near "good" automatically, it just means our "standards bar" should be higher for it.

justsomeaccount wrote:
his worldview is so wrong and pretentious that it's clear the author isn't going to agree with him (in fact, if it does, that would be hilariously fascinating especially given this framing, although also frustrating to watch).

You have far more faith in this series than I do. I'm not saying that author is going to agree with his world-view, but it's central to the story and unless really strongly challenged, will be prevailing over entirety of content.

justsomeaccount wrote:

But yep, if despite the self-awareness of the dialogue you still cannot stomach it, this is not the best choice because we can tell from here there's going to be a whoooole lot more, part because this is based on a novel, and part because the author likes that style even if he's aware that can be a little full of himself.

"A little" is an understatement in my opinion Wink
It's true that talking about something and showing it doesn't have to represents view of author. However, my main problem is that even when show is somehow self-aware, it still requires you to listen to character world-view that can be infuriating. Dialogue isn't that self-aware to offset that, and there weren't really hints on challenging main character world-view by anyone.

angelmcazares wrote:

I usually enjoy his takes in philosophical and character driven shows (like SNAFU)

At this moment, this show is not philosophical in any sense except trying to seem like one. It could evolve into one if world-view of main male character is challenged, but at the moment there is no philosophy in it, only random "more intellectual than thou" dialogue hidden behind deep words and misanthropic theories. At this moment, there are no questions asked, only some "sad truth" that Sohei presents as given and unchallenged. He talks about them almost like there were axioms.

The biggest problem of the story at the moment is however "not care syndrome". There wasn't really anything to hook someone on the story, not much substance to the plot, nor interesting characters.
Additionally, I would really like to see some series with university academics being what it really is, not about one lone psycho genius who hate lesser people...
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I was right in suspecting that Nick was going to be more open minded toward The Perfect Insider. I pretty much agree with all he wrote about the first episode. I hope Nick does the streaming reviews because I usually enjoy his takes with philosophical and character driven shows (like SNAFU).

Oh, given his enthusiasm he'll almost certainly get handed the show if it is popular enough to cover at all, so make sure you vote for it.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I fell asleep five times during Perfect Insider. And I could still follow what was going on, because NOTHING was going on. The OP was amazing, I'll give them that, and I may watch it over and over. But tonight, if I have insomnia, I'm going to try watching the whole show again.

Beautiful Bones didn't bother me. The procedures in it weren't that farfetched. They weren't suspects, but just being taken to the station to give statements. And the woman had established some knowledge of forensics already with the cop. When you add in the fact that this was obviously a smaller town by the lack of experience the cops showed with dead bodies, everything that happened seemed reasonable to me. I probably won't watch the show though. I was kind of bored with this one too.

So far almost everything I thought I'd like this fall has underwhelmed me. At least there is the unexpected Osomatsu-san and One Punch Man, and the single show I'd wanted to watch that didn't let me down, Noragami.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
We specifically don't do hate-watching reviews. That just invites all sort of potential trouble.

Since we started the "rate this show" feature, I've noticed that there tends to be a fairly strong correlation between how high the Community Score is for a series and how likely it is to get voted in for weekly streams. On that basis, Anti-Magic Academy is in trouble, since its score is currently in the same ballpark as Sky Wizards Academy, which didn't get voted in last season.

Awwwwww couldn't you have a separate vote specifically for hate watch, even just limit it to just one show per season. Anti magic seemed like a good candidate. And chaos dragon review were awesome.

In a completely different subject, I'm surprised by the preview for perfect insider. Having not seen the show yet it, the preview really reminded me of my initial impression from bakemonogatari. Yet bakemonogatari get tons of praise and here insider is getting middling score. What's different?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
^
The two shows are nothing alike. It's not the quantity of the dialogue that you should focus on but the purpose of it.

You should probably watch The Perfect Insider's first episode, that might clear up your confusion.

Also, as much as it pains me to say this, but there are lots of people who don't care much for Bakemonogatari. That show (and NisiOisin in general) have their fair share of detractors, so it's hardly universally praised.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Meiam: I've not seen Monogatari, but from what I know Monogatari is much more... personal, emotional and direct, would be the words? and also much more energetic (if I'm wrong, correct me). While Perfect Insider is super calmed and slow, more alien to the characters' feelings, so the framing of a scene doesn't quite inmediately tell you what the show thinks about them.

Quote:
It's true that talking about something and showing it doesn't have to represents view of author. However, my main problem is that even when show is somehow self-aware, it still requires you to listen to character world-view that can be infuriating. Dialogue isn't that self-aware to offset that, and there weren't really hints on challenging main character world-view by anyone.

That's a bad thing? Lots of series do that, especially the ones with not meant-to-be-likeable characters and emotionally-distant framing (this is the biggest key) like this one. Even many more emotionally-honest series with their villains at one point do that. The only thing is, this show isn't going to beat you in the face with the fact that he will be wrong and start already being heavily challenged.
And there's already enough hints to suspect that, from both the fact that this is from Moe's point of view (which makes Sohei's talks feel more alien, especially his devotion to the black-haired woman, and Moe kind of following his game but also frustrated), the way he reacts when she teases him with the journey, the other woman who brought him a cake he didn't like (pure mockery to him, without framing her in a negative way), and a couple more. You just aren't going to find it in a traditional direct and emotional way, at least this soon, we'll see later.

And themes are very clear and explicitely announced by them, about human identity, racionalism and limita, relations with other people, etc. with many paralellisms to the rationality of computers (the OP and ED are also computer-related, especially the ED). There's a direction in their talks. Now, other thing is if you found it boring, stretched, heavy-handed, pretentious (in that it tries to sound too important for its own sake) or meandering without any plot or character hook as a fiction series should do; and that's a perfectly understandable criticism, like the other reviewers did. But there's a reason many of us are interested on this.

Last edited by justsomeaccount on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 37