• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Moyoco Anno's Hataraki Man to be Made into Live-Action

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d.yaro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
Ah... A "gateway" into the world of j-dorama. The trick being to set your expectations such that one isn't looking for anything other than the characters, setting and premise from the anime to show up in the live action series. Noticed in the article that they didn't mention how much Mrs. Anno will be involved, if at all. Nonetheless, I'll be keeping an eye out for this one. Miho Kanno as Hiroko eh?
cultnirvana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
I thought Hataraki Man was seinen, not josei, with it being published in Morning oO
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
I didn't think much of the anime, but I still like the idea behind it so I might check this out. I loved the Hana Yori Dango and especially the Nodame Cantabile dramas, so there's a good track record there.
Shuchung

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Not so much "male-oriented," more like a story about a young working woman that's published on a seinen magazine. The story itself is still written by a woman, can be appreciated by other women, and not really bends in any way to make it "male-oriented."

I don't know, it's not that big a deal. Just thought I'd point it out. Don't expect fan services, panty shots flying all over the screen when you're watching this.
rg4619

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the manga was published in a seinen magazine.

However, I suspect that the live-action drama will be aimed at women, much like the anime adaptation.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
This should be interesting to watch as it develops-I really liked the anime series a lot.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
While it did not sell on DVD in Japan -- its appeal lies with mainstream audiences, not with DVD-buying otaku -- the Hataraki Man anime nevertheless has been a commercial hit in Japan for Fuji TV and its sponsors, such as the DIP Corporation.

Working people in their twenties and thirties identified with the workaholic main character of the Hataraki-Man anime, Hiroko "Hiro" Matsukata, voiced by Rie Tanaka.

To illustrate how mainstream a show it is in Japan, Yahoo! JAPAN covered the Hataraki Man anime on more than one occasion in its headlines. Links to Mantan Web and ORICON STYLE articles on the Hataraki Man anime, as well as former links to Yahoo! JAPAN Top News coverage of those articles, are provided below.

In contrast, popular otaku anime Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) and popular otaku/fujoshi anime Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion), as a Japanese poster at 2ch notes, have not received top news coverage from Yahoo! JAPAN -- presumably because, although they each have sold a lot of DVDs in Japan, they each also play to smaller, niche audiences in Japan.

Hatarakiman Director Katsumi Ono & Fuji TV Assistant Producer Kumiko Nakano Interview

This interview with Hataraki-Man director Katsumi Ono and Fuji TV assistant producer Kumiko Nakano mentions, among other things, that Hataraki Man scored the highest television audience ratings of any series in the history of Fuji TV's Noitamina late night animation time slot [which Nodame Cantabile has since eclipsed], that Hataraki Man [although based on a manga running in a seinen/salaryman magazine, Morning] targeted women who normally did not watch anime, and that it has been a highly successful show.

The interview focuses on the fashion for the show.

Hataraki Man: A Happy Meeting of "Animation" and "Temporary Employment" ... DIP (Hatarakiman : "Anime" to "Jinzai Haken" no Shiawasena Deai ... Dippu)

December 28, 2006 21:45 [9:45 PM] {Mainichi Shimbun [The Mainichi Newspapers] Mantan Web}

Television animation "Hataraki Man" started broadcasting in the wee hours on Fuji TV in October 2006; the final episode aired on December 21, 2006. Working people in their twenties and thirties empathize with the hard working protagonist, Hiroko Matsukata, and the show scored high television audience ratings. Furthermore, a television commercial for the temporary employment agency "DIP" (Tokyo Minato-ku, company president Hideki Tomita) which uses the image of [Hiroko] Matsukata also attracts attention. How did the unexpected combination of "anime" and "temporary work" arise in the first place? {Kei Watanabe}
Although DIP had chosen actress Koyuki [internationally famous for being in The Last Samurai motion picture with Tom Cruise, Ken Watanabe, Hiroyuki Sanada, et al.] as its promotional image character, the project to choose a new character began around June 2006, and information on the Hataraki Man animation was obtained while conferring with advertising agencies, etc. Having read the original Hataraki Man manga by Moyoco Anno thoroughly, marketing director Hidenobu Aihara/Aibara felt, "The manga readership and the viewers that the anime aims at, to say nothing of the theme, are the same."

The magazine "Morning," in which "Hataraki Man" is serialized [irregularly], young men (seinen) and businessmen (salaryman) in their 20s and 30s are the main readers. Animation is popular among women of the same generation -- users who built this company's site -- with the Thursday late night Noitamina time slot, when "Honey and Clover," "Paradise Kiss," etc., are broadcast. Furthermore, marketing director Aihara/Aibara quickly decided to sponsor the show and assured that the tie-up of manga and anime had the power of appeal in "killing two birds with one stone" and was able to boost the image of the business, saying that "this project cannot be done by other companies."
The number of [DIP's] "Hatarako Net" registrants normally grows at several percent per month; but since the Hataraki Man promotion began in October 2006, it has been noticeably growing at 20-30 percent per month....
Although broadcasting of the anime has ended, the Hataraki Man volume 1 DVD goes on sale December 22, 2006, with more releases in the future. When DIP using "Hataraki Man" for promotion continues, marketing director Aihara/Aibara expects, "Because the theme songs are heard and the DVDs are seen, DIP is brought to mind." In the final episode of the animation, buried too deep in her work, Hiroko breaks up with her boyfriend. But "happy relations" between "Hataraki Man" and DIP appear to go on.

DIP Corporation.
"The largest portal site in Japan linking people with the jobs they want."

DIP Corporation. Hatarako Net
"Hatarako Net is the largest portal site in Japan dealing with temporary positions ."

DIP Corporation. Baitoru Com
"Baitoru Com is the largest portal sites in Japan for part time work ."

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:04 pm; edited 9 times in total
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
dp

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Hataraki Man Episode 11 Television Audience Rating, Thursday Night, December 21, 2006 [Friday Morning, December 22, 2006]

4.1% CX [Fuji TV] 25.15 [1:15 AM] Noitamina "Hataraki Man" (Episode 11 [The End] / Soredemo Hatarakiman {Still the Working Man})

Despite a broadcast starting time 30 minutes later than usual, episode 11 of Hataraki Man still drew a pretty good television audience rating.

And despite three out of its eleven total episodes airing significantly later than the regularly scheduled time of 24:45 [12:45 AM], Hataraki Man still managed to deliver an overall television audience rating of 4.01%.

Demographic breakdown data of television household audience ratings in the Kantou region of Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Saitama, Chiba, etc.) for episode 1 show that men and women in their twenties, thirties and forties constituted the biggest portion of the viewing audience for the Hataraki Man anime.

3.1% NTV 2006/10/10 Tuesday 25:56 (2006/10/11 Wednesday 1:56 AM) DEATH NOTE "Taiketsu" ("Confrontation")

4.6% CX (Fuji TV) 2006/10/12 Thursday 25:05 - 25:35 (2006/10/13 Friday 1:05 AM - 1:35 AM) Noitamina "Hataraki Man" (Episode 1: Onna no Hataraki Man {Female Working Man})

Highest Television Audience Rating Per Minute According to Generation

HSH | KID | TEN | *M1 | *M2 | *M3 | *F1 | *F2 | *F3*| *MAX

----------------------------------------------

*3.1 | *0.8 | *2.3 | *3.5 | *0.8 | *0.5 | *3.6 | *0.7 | *0.4 | *4.4 | DEATH NOTE

*4.6 | *1.3 | *2.2 | *3.5 | *3.3 | *0.8 | *3.1 | *3.8 | *1.0 | *5.4 | Hataraki Man

HSH = Households (Setai)
KID = Children aged 0-12 years
TEN = Teenagers aged 13-19 years
*M1 = Men aged 20-34 years
*M2 = Men aged 35-49 years
*M3 = Men aged 50 years and over
*F1 = Women aged 20-34 years
*F2 = Women aged 35-49 years
*F3 = Women aged 50 years and over
MAX = Maximum

ORICON STYLE news of the high television audience rating of 4.6 percent for the first episode of the Hataraki Man animation series made the Yahoo! JAPAN News headlines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1