• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Definition of Insults]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Protip for working out if something is likely to be construed as insulting: If you wouldn't say it when your grandmother is around, then it's probably insulting.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 Wrote:
Quote:
I went through my post history including the five arguments I've been with people (six counting this topic).

About arguments: if you have an argument with one person, you may be at fault or they may be at fault. If you argue with everyone it is you.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
This is the second most out-standing thing in your statement. This is a misconception people have on me on other parts of the internet and I will clarify here (first time here, time number 12 or so in general), I don't have an inability to see what others see, I disagree with them. I do not find their views inferior or anything of the sort nor do I diminish their intellect, I disagree with it.

That's evident. The problem is how you act when you disagree with it.

You might not realize, but the other people you are discussing with also understand your point of view, and they also disagree with you.

In some cases your POV is based on a very rigid ideal you hold. For example your position on symbolism and metaphors (Hopefully you understand that it's a pretty extreme and rare position to have). You have every right to have that opinion, and you have every right to express it. But your opinion should probably be expressed along the lines of "I refuse to acknowledge any alleged metaphor in a movie unless the creator has explicitly acknowledged it himself. Therefore I don't believe there is any reason to believe... " AND THAT's IT.

There's no point in really discussing it any further. It's like an argument between a Young Earth Creationist and an atheist scientist. There's a right way to do it; by expressing each others views, respecting them and moving on; and a wrong way; by trying to convince them or show that they are wrong.

Try this "I don't perceive any symbolism in Moby Dick, but that's just me," as opposed to "Moby Dick did not have symbolism."

And if someone comes out and explains the symbolism they see, you can reply "That's interesting. I don't see it," instead of essentially telling them you are wrong.

I need to make this very clear to you. We've received a lot of complaints about you. People feel insulted by the way you address them. It might not be your intention, but it is the outcome.

Now, don't get me wrong. While reading through your posts, I've most definitely seen people be rude with you. However, what I don't think you're realizing, is that you are unintentionally goading them into it. When you unintentionally insult or patronize them, they respond to you in kind... intentionally.

I would recommend ending this conversation now and going back to your regularly scheduled conversations. Just try to be less abrasive, and more accepting of other people's opinions. If you get moderated again, and can't see why, send the moderator a message and just ask "What did I do wrong?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2