• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai and Microsoft distribute Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exinex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:25 pm Reply with quote
This is an excellent idea. I would gladly stream some of my favorite anime for a fraction of the price I would have to pay for the DVD. On the other hand, I assume it's a one-time watch, and you have to watch it on your PC rather than entertainment area. 700 Kb should suffice for quality; I'd imagine that would be right next to DVD for image quality. If more titles become available, this could have great potential.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:35 pm Reply with quote
weeeh DP TV!!! hoorah!

i'd just liek the fancy box set due out next year o.o it better be announced soon x_x february is the 25th anniversary waaah 2/12 months away and i have nothing to show for it x_x;;;

think this is a step up on fan subs in bring anime over quicker? ^^;;
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Unless they have someone actively subbing these series before they streamload it, I doubt it will effect the Fansubbing community.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that GoLion is made available subbed in english.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:52 pm Reply with quote
They will be subbed. The Korean ones are subbed in Korean.

-t
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:03 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I wonder about....if this gets to the US. How would they handle titles that aren't licensed in the US by Bandai? For example, in the current list, there's Aura Battler Dunbine. That's licensed by ADV (and is currently showing on The Anime Network). Wouldn't that require other companies to work with them on this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
The one thing I wonder about....if this gets to the US. How would they handle titles that aren't licensed in the US by Bandai? For example, in the current list, there's Aura Battler Dunbine. That's licensed by ADV (and is currently showing on The Anime Network). Wouldn't that require other companies to work with them on this?

I suspect that they will not be showing those titles. If they did want to show those titles they'd have to work out an agreement with the North American licensor... or wait for the license to expire and then create their own translation.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:57 am Reply with quote
I think this could be the answer to the fansubbing issue. If legit companies can sub stuff and get it out for tiny payments per episode, who wouldn't sign up for it? About the only roadblock I can see would be licensing issues for various regions on the planet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
rage-demon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:51 am Reply with quote
I think this sounds like a great idea. It kinda reminds me of how Napser is now; $1 per song, $10 per album. If they did the exact same thing with anime, then that would be really cool. I would gladly pay $1 per episode and say something like $10 for an entire 13 episode series and $20 for a 26 episode series.

This way the various companies that release anime here in the US could quickly release one subtitled episode at a time (instead of waiting to do an entire DVD worth). Most likely they could quickly release quite a bit of new anime since they wouldn't have to worry about dubing, artwork, DVD extras, and the production and shipping of the DVDs themselvs. Of course they will still eventually release the usual DVD, but for those of us who only watch the subtitled version, we'd get it much faster (and cheaper). I'm sure this would cut down on illegal fansubbing and bootlegging since you could get top quality subs real quickly.

Although the question is what's to stop people from illegally mass distributing these versions once one person downloads them?
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:35 am Reply with quote
rage-demon wrote:
Although the question is what's to stop people from illegally mass distributing these versions once one person downloads them?

Fortunately, I'm too stupid to know how to record streaming media. Of course, that won't stop them what are more knowledgeable than I from doing that.

But do you think it'd be good digital quality? I've noticed that more popular bands are now only releasing "radio quality" MP3s (around 64kbps) as samples from their albums, so I wonder if anime companies would do the same.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:48 am Reply with quote
I guess i missed something here. I thougth these were episodes you could download and keep on your computer to watch as many times as you want and at any time. If it's basically Pay-Per-View on the internet, then that actually doesn't sound all that great, but we'll see.

About the quality, i'm sure it will depend on your connection speed and the quality setting you choose. I know that around here cable and DSL get up around the 300kbps range, but unfortunately in the US we don't get very many options for the 700kbps range Sad. Although i remember when Toonami's Reactor had a bunch of DBZ and Patlabor episodes available to watch for free. It was really cool and the quality was as good as i could expect. Unfortunately this didn't last for very long. I guess too many people said that they wouldn't be willing to pay for it when they ansered their feedback form (me being one of them Razz .)
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:09 am Reply with quote
The problem is as you already stated: there is no way to prevent someone from recording a streaming anime (Or any other format stream for that matter). So, therefore I had to make some perdictions, this service will be limited to Windows based computers (And perhaps Mac), and more than likely will have built in Digital Rights Management (DRM) to prevent the copying.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:53 am Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:
The problem is as you already stated: there is no way to prevent someone from recording a streaming anime (Or any other format stream for that matter). So, therefore I had to make some perdictions, this service will be limited to Windows based computers (And perhaps Mac), and more than likely will have built in Digital Rights Management (DRM) to prevent the copying.

That's true but we're talking about downloading an eipsode of an anime and watching it, not streaming it. I would GLADLY pay for something like this. Maybe Bandai will sub Sailor Stars and release it this way, and see if they wanna do a DVD release only for Sailor Stars or not.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if they made you pay a flat monthly fee and allow you to view any episode of any series in the catalouge at any time you want, as many times as you want.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems that this whole thing may be a load of crap.

Bandai's Press Release http://www.bandai.co.jp/releases/J2003111301.html was the basis for a lot of information in the news article. And we were very faithful to what was presented in the article, no conjecture at all.

Our translation was based on a professional translation provided by one of our staff, but here's the Babel Fish translation so that you can read it yourself and see that we were very close to the original.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bandai.co.jp%2Freleases%2FJ2003111301.html&lp=jaen&intl=1&tlb=1

Now then, shortly after posting that article I got word from fairly high up at Bandai informing me of two things.

1) There is no "co-operation" between M$ and Bandai on this, Bandai merely licensed the WM9 and DRM technology fom M$.

2) There are no plans to bring this to North America in 2004.

so... blah.... I'm waiting on some official word from our PR contacts at Bandai, and as soon as I get that I'll post an update if necessary.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2