• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Artful Ways

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
It's great that Tales is finally getting some serious love here in the west, but they're such long games and they've been releasing them so quickly that I can't finish one before the next comes out! I think I'll wait till after Xmas season to grab Zestiria.

Quote:
Fortunately, Alisha's personal chapter will be a free download until November 18. Should you want even more, the Collector's Edition for Tales of Zestiria is stocked with a hardcover artbook, a music CD, a steelbook case, a DLC pack, 8-bit-style keychains, a half-hour anime Blu-Ray, and Chibi Kyun figures of Sorey, Mikleo, Edna, and…actually, Alisha (instead of Rose)

...Dammit. At least the Collector's editions don't sell out quickly or anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
I know nobody here cares, but dammit, I need to celebrate: Tales of Zestiria is going to be the first Tales game to be released here in Brazil with Portuguese subtitles, and that is huge for JRPG enthusiasts. I believe it's the first console JRPG to be translated; not even Final Fantasy managed that yet.

"Finally, a JRPG I can recommend to non-English-speaking friends!", Brazilian Tales fans rejoice.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
Many games releasing in my birthday and the only one who calls my attention is Extreme Butoden. Played the demo a lot, while I don't expect anything too hard or exciting, I am disappointed with no training mode.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Maya or Pearl appear in Phoenix Wright 6, come on Capcom the setting is perfect for their return.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and just about every major female character is in love with the protagonist, Kirito

haha now that made me laugh.

so from what i understand you dont play primarily as kirito but you're still restricted to one of the main characters? with the exception of kirito there arent that many interesting male characters to play as, i fail to see why they cant insert a player avatar character like robin in fire emblem complete with male female forms cause ya know just in case a girl accidentally buys it. But hey letting you use someone other that exclusively kirito is a step in the right direction so maybe somewhere down the road i'll give it a try (or it gets put on one of those random psn sales)
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
Uuugh, I'm really starting to worry they'll boot Athena off the game. Why would you do that, Capcom? Don't do that. Again. (Capcom stop making your female characters vanish when they reach 19)

Uh, so anyway, here's hoping they don't. Her case was the most fun in Dual Destinies, and it's a shame she only got 1.

Still going to wait on Zestiria until I hear what the reviewers say. I don't care about the Alisha/Rose mess as much as I care about some things I've been hearing about the poor controls, camera, etc.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Where's the option box for TALK ABOUT KIRITO AND HOW AWESOME HE IS AND HOW EVERYONE LOVES HIM AND THE AUDIENCE MEMBERS WHO IDENTIFY WITH HIM?

It's not a Mahouka game...
se37

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
The whole "controversy" with Tales of Zestiria had more to do with Otaku's who couldn't have Alisha as a Waffu than Gameplay wise. Her leaving the party makes sense in both story and gameplay is really all that can be said without getting into spoilers.

The DLC with her is very noticeable rushed in which they just try to say how great she is and everyone else sucks. Namco using different outfits (which isn't many) for her as DLC is just Namco doing what Namco does at this point.

I'm sorry, but whenever I hear how Tales of Zestiria has a controversy I just have to keep bashing my head in on how uncontroversial it really is. Not only that, we've had these characters leaving the party forever before in other Tales games.

Tales of Symphonia had Kratos leave (though you can get him back but you loose another character), Tales of Graces, Richard left the party for the rest of the game (for Wii Owners he never returned but he did in the PS3 version in another whole story). Tales of Vesperia, Flynn was only playable for a short time (Xbox 360 only).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:

The whole "controversy" with Tales of Zestiria had more to do with Otaku's who couldn't have Alisha as a Waffu than Gameplay wise.

But that's because of the difference in their priorities.

In Japanese gaming, the first and foremost priority is about finding your waifu (or husbando, whichever your preference). Gameplay only comes somewhere below that. They would play games with shit gameplay so long as they find their waifus (or husbandos), but not the other way around.

And thus the controversy.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm just tired of hearing about how much everyone else thinks Zestiria sucks because of "no Alisha" and "bad battle system". I'll play the game for myself and decide if it blows.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
So hype for AA6!!!
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
You Forgot Code;Realize for next week's releases, it's out on tuesday the 20th.
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
A big part of the reason Rise of Incarnates failed was because of its bad first steps. Fans of Gundam Extreme Vs. had been clamoring for a US release for years, but Bandai Namco's official response was "Arena fighters don't do well in America". So they tested the waters with ROI, which was broken at the start and used annoying microtransactions. By the time BNG had ironed things out, plenty of people had already soured on it from those early misgivings and refused to give it another chance. The real worry is that now they'll use ROI's failure as justification not to bring Extreme Vs. over.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Hopefully Maya or Pearl appear in Phoenix Wright 6, come on Capcom the setting is perfect for their return.

You mean the game would be perfect for Maya's return since no one really likes Pearl who incidentally already made a return in the 5th game.
Kyoshinhei
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
Actually, I thought what was reproached to Zestiria was not so much that Alisha was removed early in the game but rather that the story arc of the character presented as the main girl in the CMs was in a (almost day-1) pay DLC. It felt like Namco was pushing an imcomplete game and asking for more money to get the whole thing. That DLC then went for free in response to criticism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2