• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Column - It's Always Tsuneo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't ANN have reported this guy's death by now or is Mike confusing it with someone else? I really liked the Kurokami dub over the sub.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
The main issue with Kurokami's dub is the flap match is distractingly non existant. It's understandable why it's like that since there were no flaps to match at the time, but it's super noticable.

I love the show all the same (at the time one of the few "Shana clone" shows with a main girl who was friendly and not tsundere) and own it on blu ray (got the whole set for $30 at the going out of business sale). At the time had I known the blu rays were dub only I would have gone for the DVD deal instead, but when it comes to physical releases I only watch dubs anyways.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Wouldn't ANN have reported this guy's death by now or is Mike confusing it with someone else?

The news of his death in May 2015 was not made public until screenwriter Shou Aikawa tweeted about mourning / remembering Kobayashi with a few close friends in August.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I've had a really good experience with much of Kobayashi's work. Super GALS is a definite favorite. I also enjoyed Emma much more than I initially expected. Twelve Kingdoms I never watched, but given the good word it gets, it's something I probably will get to checking out eventually. Was happy to see a mention of Shigofumi, which I had checked out randomly a few years ago and got to really loving.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I never realized that the same director was responsible for both Midori Days and Twelve Kingdoms. I had a lot of fun with the former and really need to set aside some time for the latter. Midori Days had a premise that could have easily been given the standard ridiculous fanservice-fest treatment, but it wound up being surprisingly heartfelt and emotional. (Hell, the only accidental boob-grab that happened over the course of the entire series was technically MIdori grabbing her own boob. Razz) Emma was another show that looked like it had a lot going for it. It's always a shame to lose talented people well before their time who are still putting out a lot of quality work.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I can, again, vouch for the quality of Twelve Kingdoms. If you haven't seen it, you should because it's completely worth it. Though the extra story that follows up Youko's entire arc might seem superfluous, it's rather unique.

That being said, condolences to those who were closest to him.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The Last is arguably the best Naruto film, so kudos to the man. The animation was really well done.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm stunned that he passed away and no one reported it, even after he directed something as high-profile as The Last. I wish he had a better swan song than that (the movie does look nice and Kishimoto contributed some great concepts, but it was hindered by Maruo Kyozuka's terrible screenplay), but The Twelve Kingdoms was one of my favorite series of the '00s, and I'm glad that Media Blasters managed to release the whole thing on Blu-ray before fading into obscurity.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't aware he had directed/been involved with all of these productions. I liked Midori Days quite a lot, and though it wasn't my cup of tea, I liked what I saw of Polar Bear Cafe. Kurokami is on my watch list, too, so I've got that to look forward to. I have to disagree with the assessment of Emma, though; I think the manga version works a lot better than the anime on a fundamental level. In any event, I look forward to seeing some of this guy's stuff.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I think my biggest surprise is...
LAST MOVIE WAS 15 BUCKS!?

lol

Maybe I've lived in Japan too long. Normal DVD over here of the same movie costs 40 bucks. And I got the premium edition with the drama CD and bonus audio CD and extra features for 80.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
"We are out of Bort license plates in the gift shop. I repeat: we are all out of Bort license plates."

Seriously, though, I'm sad to hear of Tsuneo's passing, and I'm going to join others in absolutely recommending Twelve Kingdoms. It's one of the best anime of its time, taking what could have been a cliche premise and going in a completely different direction with it.

I actually do agree that the last six episodes feel unnecessary (the story they tell doesn't even have a conclusion, it just stops dead and then the series is over) and the show is probably better viewed with the idea that the real ending is episode 39. That said, from what I've gathered it wasn't the director's fault: the show was intended to be significantly longer but was abruptly cut short due to low ratings.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Huh, this guy has made absolutely nothing then, Twelve Kingdoms was garbage.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
If Kobayashi passed away in May, it's definitely plausible he was responsible for storyboarding a segment of Boruto before passing away. He would have been responsible for storyboarding around 20 minutes tops, which would have taken a few weeks. In any event, Kobayashi has always been on my list of talented, yet very unrated directors (he also used to work under the name "Masato Suma"). He had a lot of great work still left in him and he passed away all too soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
I admit, out of the things this guy has worked on in a major capacity, I've only seen 'Midori Days' and 'The Last' - but given that both of those are some of the most emotionally endearing products I've seen, that's enough for me to agree that it's a shame this guy's not more well known. He was great at putting in little gestures for the characters that I didn't see in a lot of other shows. I'll have to try and check out some more of his work.

BeanBandit wrote:
Huh, this guy has made absolutely nothing then, Twelve Kingdoms was garbage.

You feel good about yourself, making it a point to be sour about a guy in essentially a memorial thread?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does the column, instead of saying the Mike Toole Show, just say Column? I noticed it for a while and I was wondering if it was an error on my end?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2