• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Top 10, that's a lot to really list. Well, let's see.

10 favorite anime:

-Castle in the Sky
-Kiki's Delivery Service
-My Neighbor Totoro
-Nausicaa

(I don't need to explain the above. It's Miyazaki in all his storytelling goodness. But mind you I only picked the older features and not his newer stuff. While the new stuff is visual stunning, they don't grab me like his older works. Although some may have different opinions on this)

-Bubblegum Crisis (the original) It was a OVA series while to some may not be as spectacular when compared to the newer stuff. But for it's time it's presentation was revolutionary. Inspired by 'Blade Runner' while incorporating the music aspect of 'Streets of Fire'. Something that hasn't been done in todays animation. The OP sequence from the first OVA, which features 'Priss' concert is still considered one of the best parts of that series. 'Konna wa Hurricane' is the most notable song of that series. Very nostalgic 80's.

-Azumanga Daioh I love comedies. I'd heard about this one and had yet to see it. Seeing it for the first had me in stiches. The first series to make me go out and buy the DVDs the very next day after watching it online.

-Jubei-chan the ninja girl Can't get technical about this one. Only the fact that it makes me laugh. It's got a great story, action and comedy all rolled into one. Not to mention it's got 'Akitaro Daichi'. My first experience to his comedic madness.

-Utawarerumono Based off the popular 'H-game' by Aqua Plus, I had yet to watch this one. When I finally did, it made me realized what makes a good fantasy story. One of the best fantasy stories I've watched in a long time. It has everything that I've come to enjoy from my past experiences playing RPG games.

-Kurau Phantom Memory Directorial debut of 'Yasuhiro Irie' (who directed the 'Alien Nine' OVA). I wanted so much to see his new project. When I finally did I was immediately taken to heaven. My love for this show was SOOO bad that it was like a type of prozac drug. And ADV was keeping me from it. After licensing it in 2004 around the same time it aired. It would take them almost 2 1/2 years to release it. Like a baby that can't give up the bottle I was pissed. Finally it was released. Now I'm good. This show for an originally is a really great story. And the group S.E.N.S adds to the show's atmosphere. It's sci-fi but it has enough action and story to keep you entertained.

-Denno Coil It's kind of new and hasn't been licensed yet. But I know it will eventually. It's been awhile since I've seen a show of this caliber. Not to mention have me jabbering like a little kid. Telling everyone "they should see it." Again another directorial debut by 'Mitsuo Iso'. A show about some kids in a futuristic world. Or is it? Every episode is well thought out and ends with you handing on the seat of your pants. It never disappoints. With an animation style very similar something straight out of Ghibli Studios but it's not. While the show is not done from what I've seen it will go down in my list of faves.

Least Favorite anime:

-Cowboy Bebop Great show, but overrated. Mostly by fans who talked about it all the time. And to be honest I never really got into it. But I didn't hate it. And it didn't suck. I was more interested in the underdog 'Outlaw Star' which was also out during that time. But was overshadowed.

-Chrono Crusade Two words, "HATED IT!!" A perfect example of why you stay away from this series if you're a fan of the manga. Trying to watch entire series just to see if it was palletteable gave me a headache. I'm not joking. And I hated the style. Not everything 'Gonzo' puts their "fanboy" hands on turns to gold. I'd soon take 'Solty Rei' over this anyday. And that's not saying something

-Wolf's Rain Good feature, but somewhat convoluted to an extent. I love wolves, and I did watch this all the way through but after getting to the end I just couldn't deal with it. It just didn't grab me. Again, it goes to show you that not everything 'Bones' studio does is gold. But I didn't hate it.

-Gunbuster 2 Being from the generation of the original 'GB' I wondered where 'Gainax' was going with this one. And while this one is flashy in an old school way, it's not 'GB' no matter how they word it. I even watched it again from the beginning to see where it was going. I guess I just didn't have a heart for 'Nono' and 'Lal-C'. I almost did but not enough. But the music was good.

-Great Dangaioh aka Dangaioh -G Okay, I'd been thinking about this one alot. Thought about it when I watched it two years ago, talked about it again to myself this year. 'Dangaioh - G' has some serious issues. And more than likely I might be missing something as I might not be familiar with the odd storytelling that happens in old robot shows, where stuff happens and they don't explain why. 'Godannar' is this way too, which made me see where they might be going. But compared to the original 'Dangaioh' that was made back in 89', why is that only Mia Arisu (Alice) capsule from the original 'Dangaioh' the only one found? What happened to the rest of the crew? And if they were building a new one, why the hell is everyone playing stupid war games when there's a war coming? Not to mention aliens showing up and stuff that just makes no sense. We have a 'Great Mazinger' homage and then it's revealed that the 'Bunker Pirates' are coming. Which was also revealed during the show the reason why they built the new unit in the first place. Knowing how the 'Bunker Pirates' were so feared among instellar space, (and Earth knew nothing of them) don't you think if they wanted to invade Earth they would have done it in a pinch? They tried to in the old OVAs, but they never bothered again. So of course they're coming back. Again it just goes to show you that the director or whoever plotted out the concept didn't really think things through. While we think about this we still love the original Dangaioh. All in his convoluted goodness. Old and new. Oh and the new design sucked!!! But the music was good. Just goes to show you that the son of the composer of the original 'Dangaioh' (while having a different style) has enough old school talent. Hell, he composed 'Devilman Lady'.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
-Castle in the Sky
-Kiki's Delivery Service
-My Neighbor Totoro
-Nausicaa[/b]

(I don't need to explain the above.

The hell you don't. Like I've said a thousand times, what's obvious to you might not be obvious to everyone, and nobody universally agrees on everything, so get to typing or your whole post vanishes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
-Chrono Crusade Two words, "HATED IT!!" A perfect example of why you stay away from this series if you're a fan of the manga. Trying to watch entire series just to see if it was palletteable gave me a headache. I'm not joking. And I hated the style. Not everything 'Gonzo' puts their "fanboy" hands on turns to gold. I'd soon take 'Solty Rei' over this anyday. And that's not saying something.

I'm sorry this is OT but I have to ask, if you hate it so much why is your name Chrno2 and your avatar OF Chrono? That's like saying I hate the color blue then painting your whole bloody house in different shades of blue.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:40 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
-Chrono Crusade Two words, "HATED IT!!" A perfect example of why you stay away from this series if you're a fan of the manga. Trying to watch entire series just to see if it was palletteable gave me a headache. I'm not joking. And I hated the style. Not everything 'Gonzo' puts their "fanboy" hands on turns to gold. I'd soon take 'Solty Rei' over this anyday. And that's not saying something.

I'm sorry this is OT but I have to ask, if you hate it so much why is your name Chrno2 and your avatar OF Chrono? That's like saying I hate the color blue then painting your whole bloody house in different shades of blue.

He wrote he hates anime but he is a fan of the manga.
starseven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I agree.
Playing the game is 10x better even though the game and show had some minor differences in the plot.

] agree that StarOcean The Second Story was much better than the anime. StarOcean EX is ok but it's not nearly as good as the game. I dislike the fact that they messed with the plot and then they never finished it. They stopped half way through the story.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:19 am Reply with quote
Top 10 Favorite:

1) Trigun: What makes Trigun brilliant instead of just very good is that Vash is just that awesome. There was certainly alot else to like too though. The Western setting was great, and it got even better as it incorporated alot of SciFi elements. Great supporting characters too. The ending was inconclusive, but felt very conclusive at least to me. I liked the theme too.

2) Berserk: It had everything. From the simple stuff like the great action to the deeper relationships between the characters. I wouldnt say the ending was bad, I certainly enjoyed it. Because the series ended there though I almost would have prefered that spoiler[they didn't go all magical. It was such a great story without having to center around some kinda magic].

3) Cowboy Bebop: Why bother echoing things that have been said millions of times before. Go read almost anything pertaining to Bebop. It probably says the same things I would be saying here. I guess I gotta though so fine: Great characters, great character development, great fights, the fact that it was set in the future and in space opened up alot of cool posibilities, but did so without seeming downright silly like similar series. (Im looking at you Outlaw Star!)

4) Hellsing: I would have rated this even higher if not for the poor ending. I just loved the characters. Alucard is so creepy and incredibly cool too. Seras was probably my favorite character though. She wasnt nearly so cute that she was annoying as is he case so much. She was just really quirky and likable. (british accents are awesome.) All this contrasted great with her transformation into a vampire. Ofcourse the series gets a 10 on the coolness scale. Going back to the ending though, spoiler[the problem was the combination of Incognito's genericness and the lack of resolution. One or the other would have been fine. If there had found the ones responsible for this all and defeated their generic vampire, or if they didn't find the ones responsible but did fight someone more interesting or descript. Incognito was just some generic bad guy who wants to destroy the world.] I guess I could put Hellsing Ultimate here in its place, but I want to wait till I've seen all of it before I do that.

5) Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team: I would probably say this is my favorite Gundam series. It took a much more realistic look at the franchise. Also, it was smaller scale. Instead of huge conflicts affecting the entire world, it was just one small battle amidst the entire war. If felt more like a military drama instead of a big mecha melodrama. Not only did that work very well, it was a refreshing change.

6) Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Dont get me wrong when I talk about liking the style of 08th MS team, that doesnt mean I dont also enjoy some good old fasioned Gundam melodrama. There were some issues such as reused animation and identical looking characters, but that aside I think this is the best of the gundam franchise. Maybe not for everyone because in addition to alot of action it was also very dramatic. Deep and developed characters, a look at the nature of war, realistic reactions instead of soulless fighters like in many other gundams.

7) Ghost in the Shell (movie): Beautiful art and character designs. Raises facinating issues regarding technology and humanity. However, it can be enjoyed at face value while at the same time carrying deeper implications. The moments of action balance out the deeper stuff.

8) RahXephon: I dont think can talk about this without comparing it to Eva. It was after all kinda Eva done right. All the good, a deep story with complex characters. But none of the bad, such as a main character you just wanna slap and then tell him to get the hell over it. Also, not so many questions uppon questions that it was tough to follow and more importantly, the questions were for the most part resolved, even if it was in a somewhat mystic way. The musical symbolism was far preferable to me since unlike christian symbolism it did not carry a bunch of annoying conotations.

9) Samurai Champloo: Like Bebop, except set in the past instead of the future and in Japan instead of space. Fun, likable characters. Not really much of a story, but cool modern concepts kept it interesting. Though some may agree, the ending was one of my favorite endings ever. spoiler[It accomplished something Anime rarely does and actually made me believe that they might kill one or both of the main characters. It really adds to the drama when youre honestly not sure who will live or die. Then when they didn't kill either of em, I was actually glad because it would have been awfully sad if they did. I still got the fun of thinking they might.]

10) Finally, since I cant really think of anything else without reaching into stuff that was quite good, but not up there with this stuff I've already said, a spot on my top 10 list is reserved for Black Lagoon, which I have not yet been able to see Crying or Very sad but I deeply hope will live up to my expectations and to what I've heard and fall somewhere on this list.

Top 5 Least Favorite:

Actually, these probably arent my truely least favorites. However it seems like a waste of time to point out stuff that pretty clearly sucked for reasons already said elsewhere many times.

In no particular order...

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence: The first Ghost in the Shell was great because it could be enjoyed at face value while at the same time carrying deeper implications. The deeper stuff wasnt boring because it was very well mixed into the exciting stuff. If found Innocence to be just so disjointed. It spend large continuous chunks taking the whole psycological/philosophical ellement and beating you over the head with it repeatedly. By that I dont mean just parts focusing on it, I mean actual people standing around pretty much just discussing it. That was another key difference from the first movie. It was so much more subtle. Now it wasnt all this stuff. Mixed in there were a few chunks of crazy action. I guess these were a good thing but it was hardly enough to make up for all the boring. Not to mention I kinda expect more from GitS than just action. Finally there were big chunks of "look what we can do with CGI. Ain't it beautiful?" It was infact quite nice but it contributed nothing to the story and only resulted in the already dull movie being even duller because it was punctuated by big chunks of "now sit and look at the pretty pictures".

Ninja Scroll (TV): I guess because it was for TV, it was alot more shounenish than the movie. Much of the stuff was just random and kinda silly. It was nowhere near as cool as the original.

Vampire Hunter D (OVA): I've heard people refer to Vampire Hunter D as being pretty good, successful, etc. I dont really see how they could be talking about the movie but not the original. Therefore Im pretty suprised. Maybe its just that this is so outdated, but I just though it sucked. Totally random at times. annoying, out of the blue fanservice, generic monsters and villans. Was this what was considered good back in 85 when this was new?

Bleach: Nothing about the series worked for me. I found the characters unappealing, the concept silly, and the story uninteresting. Action-wise this was pretty mediocre. There was just nothing here to make this worth watching. I kinda dont get what people see in Bleach. I'll take DBZ or even Naruto over this any day of the week.

Darker than BLACK: I expected something different. Something alot...Darker. With the exception of a few parts, it was a relatively light-hearted and almost shounenish. Therein was its reddeming part, the decent action. However it was severely lacking in plot. Also, though the characters showed promise, they were all so quiet that you never got to know them at all. I gave up after episode 10 when it was licenced so maybe it was gonna go somewhere still, however with only 3 episodes to go I dont see how they could really make too much out of things. Nothing good enough to be worth seeing the rest.

~Edited for a couple spoilers~
xiaoxu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
1st:Shoujou saikyo no tenshi Kenichi:
Awsome...lotsa fitghting and lots of comedy...fan service is present as well,but not too much...^^ perfect combi.Also,theres a gd storyline to keep the anime going.PLUS its filler-free so every eps is important and everybit of exciting or funny as the last

2nd:Bleach:
duh....if u dont tink this ought to be top 5 then ur definately not an anime otaku Anime hyper.Serisously man...Its one of the greatest animes and is probably gonna stay the top 5 most popular(well at least in my opinion) fer quite some time...

3rd:The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya:
Original. Instead of having the anime in chronological order it actually jumbles up the eps...and thats the interesting part abt it too.Also kon makes a gd narrator...and he's probably the best(well...so far this is the only anime I've seen in which one of the main char actually narrates the story and puts comedy into it).Its fun,its interesting and its funny! luv it

4th:Kekkaishi/Gundam seed/seed destiny
Well i picked kekkaishi because its interesting...and shows tat its got potential in makin itself an enjoyable anime.But since its still in the early stages(20+eps so far) and its ongoing(predicted abt 60 or more eps),anyting goes...As fer gundam seed and destiny...well...i dunno abt u but i'd say its one of the best mecha series ever made.I've always been a fan of the gundam series too ^^. Also theres 1 gundam which i tink makes destiny a real masterpiece:the Akatsuki. I mean, who has ever seen a golden mobile suit b4? no1 rite? so there ya go.Its awsome and action-packed and its got some romance inside too.An awsome package fer an anime if u ask me.

5th:My-HiME
Its a typical anime...but theres a gd storyline and alot of cool mecha/weapns and fight scenes to keep most ppls attached to the series. I especially like the mecha and the relationships between the main casts.And for those who are shallow,the twist in storyline in the middle of the series mite jus have u glued to the show jus to see wad happens nxt.Really cool show.

Worst 2:
2nd Worst:Monster
Uhh....its jus sooooo lame -.- i mean,uve got a surgeon trying to track down this serial killer and he took up gunsmanship in order to kill him.So ud tink there mite be some blood or horror in this anime.Well too bad.Not only is there extreamly little bloodshed,the series is jus too lenghty with alot of unneccesary eps(like once when the sergeon stops by a village and helps this stubborn old woman cure her of her disease).Worse is that each eps is somewat connected to ud pretty much have to watch thru the whole ting to finally realise tat its long winded.Dont tink ur gonna be scared either.The only horror in this series is the serial killer having 2 personalites and leaving messages on walls(theyr not even written wif blood!).In conclusion,totally a waste of time to watch.

The Worst:Pita Ten
yeah..the little kindergarten kids are cute..but tats all there is to this series.Theres practially no plot except fer this devil trying to take out this angel and in the end became her friend.And each eps is jus filled with childishness such as a middle schl girl always poping into the grade schl class, or this nerd trying to challenge some1 smarter than him and in the end gets defeated.Its jus so freakin boring that i fell asleep in most of the eps and to my surpriese,i dint miss anyting at all! the storyline,even after I've missed a few eps, is still the same.In conclusion,extreamly boring and has no creativity.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:55 pm Reply with quote
xiaoxu wrote:
duh....if u don't tink this ought to be top 5 then ur definately not an anime otaku Anime hyper.Serisously man...Its one of the greatest animes and is probably gonna stay the top 5 most popular(well at least in my opinion) fer quite some time...

Was that directed at me?

Either way, care to explain? Youre reasoning is basically, its great because...its great and always will be. Whats makes it great? Youre entitled to your oppinion ofcourse, but I dont appreciate people saying Im not a fan because I dont like Bleach, especially when they offer no actual arguement for why its good.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
xiaoxu wrote:
duh....if u don't tink this ought to be top 5 then ur definately not an anime otaku Anime hyper.Serisously man...Its one of the greatest animes and is probably gonna stay the top 5 most popular(well at least in my opinion) fer quite some time...

Most otaku don't care for mainstream titles like Bleach...you know that, right?
Rhesian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
xiaoxu wrote:

2nd Worst:Monster
Uhh....its jus sooooo lame -.- i mean,uve got a surgeon trying to track down this serial killer and he took up gunsmanship in order to kill him.So ud tink there mite be some blood or horror in this anime.Well too bad.Not only is there extreamly little bloodshed,the series is jus too lenghty with alot of unneccesary eps(like once when the sergeon stops by a village and helps this stubborn old woman cure her of her disease).Worse is that each eps is somewat connected to ud pretty much have to watch thru the whole ting to finally realise tat its long winded.don't tink ur gonna be scared either.The only horror in this series is the serial killer having 2 personalites and leaving messages on walls(theyr not even written wif blood!).In conclusion,totally a waste of time to watch.

Wow... I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but just... wow. I think you completely missed out on enjoying something amazing with your approach to the series, but to each his own.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
Rhesian wrote:
Wow... I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but just... wow. I think you completely missed out on enjoying something amazing with your approach to the series, but to each his own.

Don't bother. Some people just aren't in to slow-paced series, despite any meritable comments you can give on story, characters, or production. Monster, Mushi-Shi, Master Keaton.. Those kinds of series just aren't everyone's cup of tea sometimes. Although, properly justifying why they dislike said kind of titles is a different story. If you see someone disagreeing incoherently, it's best to not even take them seriously if they can't even present themselves in a reflectively serious fashion.
nikandros

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:33 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Don't bother. Some people just aren't in to slow-paced series, despite any meritable comments you can give on story, characters, or production. Monster, Mushi-Shi, Master Keaton.. Those kinds of series just aren't everyone's cup of tea sometimes. Although, properly justifying why they dislike said kind of titles is a different story. If you see someone disagreeing incoherently, it's best to not even take them seriously if they can't even present themselves in a reflectively serious fashion.

I can't agree with you more.
Kaguzuchi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
frentymon

Most otaku don't care for mainstream titles like Bleach...you know that, right?

Alot of people dont like Bleach now. But thats mainly due to over saturation of the title due to fillers and like you mentioned, it becoming mainstream (which seems to make it less special for some reason..at least for me anyway)
But, before the fillers and it's license in America, it really was a great anime (otaku or not)with interesting twist and great action scenes. (ie, the story pretty much picks up after episode 20 or so) I should also note that I stopped watching before any of the fillers came on so i remember only the good parts.
vylo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote
Vylo's top 10 picks

1. Death Note - One of, if not the best animes ever made. Great if you like science fiction mixed with police drama (more of the former). Many will tell you, and quite accurately that the show is best before episdoe 25. This is quite true, but it remains solid to the end.

2. Paranoia Agent - I don't know what it is about this show, but I love it. Very bizarre anime, with one of the best openings I've seen. It won't take you long into it to discover the main theme, which is people trying to escape pain by escaping reality.

3. Trigun - First great thing about Trigun is you can actually watch the dub without feeling like someone is raping your ear. You probably won't catch what the anime is actually about for the first few episodes so don't give up on it early (thought that shouldn't be a problem....unless you are a communist!!! Razz). Mixes a lot of comedy with some very serious moments. Good if you like a heavy drama that can still make you chuckle every so often.

4. Gunslinger Girl - re-engineered little girl assassins. Can't lose there. Well, unless you you want to have a happy anime. Great action and drama. Be warned, this is one of, if not the most depressing shows out there.

5. Haibane Remnei - There are no explosions or fancy action in this anime. It is fantasy and drama exclusively. The fact that it still remains one of my favorite animes and is on the top 50 should tell you of what quality it is despite the lack of conventional combustible eyecandy.

6. Eureka Seven - Sci-fi mecha anime. Does an awesome job of character development, has an intriguing story, good animation, good sound, and some of the best openers around. Overall it was simply well made.

7. FLCL - You might hear some hate toward this anime, but that is only from people who aren't crazy enough to appreciate it Razz. Short but sweet Sci-fi/drama/comdey. Unique show, very bizarre. It is second only in strangeness to Excel and Bobobo. You may have to watch FLCL more then once to understand the plot, but it is so good you probably will anyway.

8. Princess Mononoke - Crazy fantasy anime. The animation is superb, and the characters are well developed. Centers around the conflict between nature and man. Be warned, this one can be depressing.

9. Serial Experiments Lain - A classic. Very strange sci-fi/fantasy anime. Creepy much of the time, dealing with the internet and its effect on society and reality as whole.

10. Cowboy Bebop - Well I'm out of masterpieces, but many of my friends scream at me for not having this one on there. Cowboy Bepop is great for those who like Sci-fi/adventure, obviously with a Cowboyish (bounty hunter) flavor. Fans of Firefly would enjoy it immensely. Cool characters, good animation, FANTASTIC music, makes it a solid pick. Why is it not on my masterpiece list? Plot. It has one. It finishes it. But damn, it goes off on a lot of tangents.

Vylo's 4 least favorite

1. SD Gundam - If someone offered me 500 dollars to watch this, I would turn them down, and probably punch them. The most god awful thing to happen to anime and media as a whole. I can't say anything more about it, because that would require it to have something of value. Avoid this at all costs.

2. Angel Sanctuary - Like incest? Angel's which may or may not be homosexual or even men? Like confusing plots that go no where and a series that never finishes? If so, watch this. If on the otherhand, you have a soul, avoid this like the plague. NOTE: no amount of drinking makes this bearable. I tried.

3. Cyborg 009 - Cyborg anime sounds cool right? What could go wrong? This show is what. Plot meanders forever, characters are dislikable/stupid/infeasible. No consistency with abilities (Listen I know that sci-fi and fantasy aren't bound by realism, but at least be consistent about it). Overall snore fest with lackluster animation. I won't set you ablaze for having seen part or all of it, but I'm a nice guy.

4. Zipang - This one might surprise people. "I heard it was good". You must have heard from someone who watched it on fast forward, because that is the only way to bear this ponderous beast of boredom. It starts off great "hey this is just like that movie where the US ship goes back to pearl harbor". Indeed, but someone forgot that was a movie and tried to make a full season anime out of it. The pacing is slower then molasses going uphill in the winter. If they ever made a 4 episode OVA of it, it would probably be good. Unless you are entertained by hours of innane military movement delibirations, don't bother with this one.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
vylo wrote:
4. Zipang - This one might surprise people. "I heard it was good". You must have heard from someone who watched it on fast forward, because that is the only way to bear this ponderous beast of boredom. It starts off great "hey this is just like that movie where the US ship goes back to pearl harbor". Indeed, but someone forgot that was a movie and tried to make a full season anime out of it. The pacing is slower then molasses going uphill in the winter. If they ever made a 4 episode OVA of it, it would probably be good. Unless you are entertained by hours of innane military movement delibirations, don't bother with this one.

It's not just "military movement," the characters themselves are important too. The series was never supposed to be an all-out do or die action title where they would just go back in time and fight people. In the long run, it's also a science fiction drama about making decisions that could change the entire history of the world.

You can't just expect a group of soldiers to realize how important every one of their actions is and not take their time doing it. On top of that, they even get caught up in the war from the get-go, so it's already inevitable by the first 4 episodes that history will have changed somehow by the time they get back, if ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 67 of 122