• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Might Be Wrong

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
You're right Todd, Other M still hurts.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
My copy of Code: Realize should be in the mailbox tomorrow morning <3 For once, I can't immediately tell which one is going to be my type. It won't be Victor or Impey, but the other three are a toss up right now. Putting my bets on Helsing though.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Other M was dogcrap and Nintendo of America is dumb to censor the game, it's bad enough that they made Fatal Frame 5 digital only, this is why I'll only give Nintendo of Japan any business as I can get the proper product 100% of the time.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Fatal Frame series should be a multiplatform game like it was back then

too bad it's now nintendo's.. releasing on the wii-u no less..

it's one of the games i want but i'm not buying a game console just for 1-2 games Rolling Eyes
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
It's disheartening that Nintendo, as well as Tecmo, censored the beachwear. The Legend of Zelda and Metroid costumes would've worked well if they were simply extra unlockable content.

Yes, Other M is still regarded by most as Nintendo's major blight to Metroid. If this blog is anything to go by, even Japan seems to have found it repulsive.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I could see why they felt they had to do that, especially if the character is underage.

I mean, let's be honest--that black "swimwear" is way, waaaay closer to lingerie than beachwear (who wears a garter to the beach??), and the cutscene with the other girl in the swimsuit had some really skeevy camera angles.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
The decision to change those Fatal Frame costumes seems a bit odd to me. I get it from the perspective that Nintendo tends to promote itself as family friendly, but horror games aren't generally aimed at little kids in the first place. And Nintendo seemingly didn't mind those costumes for the version appearing in its home country. I wouldn't have thought Tecmo Koei would see it as an issue considering how many swimsuit costumes there are for DOA 5, and the fact that DOA Xtreme 3 is in development.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
The removed costumes run further than just being an option arbitrarily removed or edited (which I feel readers here would and should be opposed to in a novel, manga or anime), they also play a part in the story directly thanks to a playable character's history as a gravure idol: nichegamer.com/2015/10/nintendo-censored-story-content-in-fatal-frame-maiden-of-black-water/

I can understand if any of you happened to like the other costumes more, but the content plays a part directly in the story and may be a sign that they are going to write out elements from the Japanese original release. It seems like a concern worth picking on Nintendo over next to how the game's marketing has been handled and a digital only release in America.

It seems ridiculous for developers to need a strong excuse to have fanservice options or write it into a game directly into a game, but to see people dismissing it when they should have been encouraging Nintendo to offer more options instead. It isn't out of the ordinary for localised releases to get more content, cuts are typically limited to rights nightmares so you won't see many people saying that missing licensed costumes in Monster Hunter are part of the problem.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Fatal Frame: Maiden of the Black Water: Of course they have to censor that stuff. They're still trying to protect the Disney/Pokemon children and all, even though the Fatal Frame series is clearly not intended for brats anyway. I doubt most kids would even be remotely interested in it, let alone show the game to their parents.

Quote:
They're a little bit creepy, particularly when the designers aimed to play up the sexuality of women being doused in water and scared out of their wits.

As always, this is Japan we're talking about here, so of course they're going to look for an excuse to do that. Of course there are going to be swimsuits, but honestly, as whiskeyii put it, that bikini looks more like lingerie to me.

You know what I find funny? If you were to suggest to a male Japanese game developer to forgo putting in female swimsuits and underwear costumes for a change, they would ask you "But why?" with a look of absolute befuddlement on their faces. Explain further that it's unnecessary and that it adds nothing; they'll look even more confused, stating, "But they're females, shouldn't they be seen in swimsuits and underwear?" XD

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius: I'm sure people can easily see this as a Record Keeper clone, but the new sprites are a nice touch at least and the game at least has an actual Final Fantasy-style story. I wonder if the crossover aspect will get more detail than simply "pull FF warriors from their realms into ours while they wordlessly agree to help".

Mighty No. 9: I'm not sure what to say here really. Mighty No. 9 was supposed to be the big game of the year with everything that went into it. Now the more we hear about it (or rather less in recent cases), the possibility that it's going to leave people feeling their time and money was ultimately wasted is growing steadily.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Glancing at the Fatal Frame wiki, the character in the black outfit (Yuuri?) is 19, so technically she's in the clear. The character in the white outfit, the gravure idol (Mui?), is 17. Yeah, I think it's safe to say that age was a big factor in why the white bikini and the cutscene that features it were cut/modified. Having fanservice-y shots of a minor just doesn't sit well with NA audiences.

Last edited by whiskeyii on Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Censorship is beary bad, this game isn't even aimed at kids after all... Yet Ninty still treated by kiddy by others because of these pretty stupid censor things.

I honestly don't care about Other M, I only liked the Gameplay and the story was super bad.

And Mighty No. 9 will disappoint me, I have the bad feeling about it, and it will suck... Sorry Inafune.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
You're right Todd, Other M still hurts.

"point to the chart where the Game touched the Franchise?"
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to pick up Code Realize. ♥
I've mostly heard good things about it, and it doesn't sound nearly as debatable as Amnesia. I can't wait for Norn9 too~. I need to check when the anime for them come out. >u<

Got no comment on the removal of costumes from Fatal Frame, but it is a shame that Zero Suit only makes people think of Other M. I get why (being most recent, and probably abused most there), but I'm at the point where I think of Smash and just how obnoxious it is that Samus has to be a ~sexy badass~ in Zero Suit anymore, instead of just a plain badass.

The NX has been stirring up a lot of talk with the dev kits releasing, but a lot of the commentary seems. . . ignorant? People are worried that having just bought a Wii U, it's now deemed worthless. Which is silly because it already has a number of good games, and more to come. I feel that it's highly likely the NX could come out Holiday next year, but I guess we'll see when it's made official. That would put it at an accurate time for the Wii U's life cycle though. Five or six years was normal between the last two gens, so this would be a little short, but not by much.

I'm looking forward to the NX, but I think the Wii U and especially the 3DS still have good things to come, so I'm not anxious about it~.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Can't we just have both options? One Soccer-Mom approved version and the other Skeevy Perv version? It's not like Nintendo isn't a stranger to this marketing tactic.
ChoGGi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
If it matters
Quote:
Or became Konami, like many other companies,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8