• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Blasting Away

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad so many otome titles are finally getting released over here. But these dates are too close together! I haven't even beaten a single Code: Realize route yet xD
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
I am very glad that they finished translating LoH6:SC. I played the original Japanese games when I wasn't entirely fluent in the language but it ended up being a good experience anyways. I am thinking about replaying the translated version to get the full experience of Falcom writing but I am hesitant of doing that after remembering how long it took me to finish those games (some 60 hours per chapter).
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
That Sonic Arcade is funnily interesting. Because first he was a cop, later a space pilot and finally chased for popcorn xD
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
I remember walking into an arcade when I was a kid with my older bro and being scared witless of one of the House of the Dead games lol. My brother was trying to get me to play but I wasn't having any of it. Fast forward to college and I was spending a crapton of money trying to 1CC/no miss Time Crisis 3 and House of the Dead 4 in my local bowling alley. I love lightgun games.

I wonder if Time Crisis 5'll make it to consoles. Probably not.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
I hope the people at Mame succeed at emulating Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car, I want to play that, if something like that came to the states back then, I'd nag my father nonstop to travel to wherever it would be so I could play it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
It took me until much, much older to learn you weren't SUPPOSED to be jabbing the screen with the Zapper. I thought the Zapper didn't work unless you were that close because I couldn't shoot any of the ducks from any distance greater than four inches.

Quote:
But there's a place for light-gun shooters in just about every arcade, movie theater, and any other place that needs a short, profitable toylike distraction for patrons. Being simple sometimes pays off.

See, that's something pinball designers need to learn (another arcade staple that's resisted the move to home console video gaming for obvious reasons). If anything, what people were saying at Pinball Expo 2015, which just happened two weeks ago, indicates pinball has only gotten MORE complicated and beginner-unfriendly.

Those short, profitable toylike distractions are also under pressure from mobile gaming, for better or worse. No need to spend 50 cents to play that Batman driving game when you can play Flappy Bird for free for as long as you like, after all. Heck, these arcade machines are, in addition, under pressure because some people don't even have cash on their person anymore. (Most such places do at least provide an ATM though, for people that curious or bored.)
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
The sixth day of November can't come soon enough. I find the real-time battling system of Yōkai Watch a refreshing method from the turned-based battling system of Pokémon.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC: Currently and eagerly waiting for them to put this up on PSN. Between Tales of Zestiria, Radiant Historia, the upcoming Summon Night 5 and this, I'm not at a loss for RPGs the rest of this year. And then there's Cold Steel in December...

Yo-Kai Watch: The show has been pretty damn good in English so far and they've done a great job of localizing some of the more tricky to pun-ify yokai names. I don't know if I'll ever play the game, but so far the show has proven it's quite amusing and fun to get into.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Like you Todd, I'm so damned excited for Gravity Rush 2. I'd been dreaming of this game and what it could look like on PS4 and they totally delivered with the reveal at both TGS and PGW, can't wait to rejoin Kat for another adventure.
I agree I really hope Raven will be playable as well.

Been totally anticipating Trails SC for ages so I'll definitely be buying that today when it goes up.
thenix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
When I was a small kid I would play friday the 13th on NES and I didn't know what the heck I was doing, but I did know that after a few minutes Jason would be chasing you and eventually kill you. As a kid i didn't quite separate game from reality so when he was killing the kids in the game he was killing me and it freaked me out.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that Todd's one of the few old school gamers who hasn't selectively forgotten that older video games back in the day were shorter than their contemporaries.

Quote:
(controlling either Nate or Katie)

Quote:

Of course, Yōkai Watch draws from legends of yokai, supernatural creatures from Japan's extensive folklore. Nintendo's localization is selective about just what it preserves: kappa are still kappa in the U.S. version and Jinbanyan retains his name, but the Orochi is renamed “Venoct.”

Bleh I wish I knew why this was still a thing in 2015.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I think Yo-kai Watch will be a decent success. Won't be a Pokemon style hit, but hopefully do decently well. Like how the anime is handle and Nintendo does seem to be pushing it enough. Alot of factors are different now then when Pokemon started, so we shall see.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
[quote="BadNewsBlues"]It's a shame that Todd's one of the few old school gamers who hasn't selectively forgotten that older video games back in the day were shorter than their contemporaries.

Quote:
(controlling either Nate or Katie)

Of course, Yōkai Watch draws from legends of yokai, supernatural creatures from Japan's extensive folklore. Nintendo's localization is selective about just what it preserves: kappa are still kappa in the U.S. version and Jinbanyan retains his name, but the Orochi is renamed “Venoct.”

Bleh I wish I knew why this was still a thing in 2015.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
Ooo, gotta let my friends know about more of the Umihara Kawase games coming out.

Also gotta work on my Umihara Kawase costume.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
In case anyone is wondering, Trails in the Sky FC and SC both run on PSP/Vita/Vita TV. It looks like for the next week the price of the PSN download of FC has been lowered to $10.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2