• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is it possible to get a "New Topic/Thread Notification" for the boards/sub-forums?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feng Lengshun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
I am, overall, a pretty busy, lazy, and forgetful person. I want to know about new topics but I can not check the boards regularly for the reasons above - although even if I keep checking the boards from time to time, it might be on a very irregular basis with varying length of times between each checkins, possibly making me miss certain topics because it's not on the first page and/or requires some scrolling on the page.

For a year and half now, I have been a member of a few Xenforo-powered forums and FanFiction.Net's forums, and what I really like about them is that you can watch a board/sub-forum for notifications on new topics/threads by e-mail. It is very handy in informing me of new topics that might interest me and might have been missed if it wasn't for it.

Can we get a similar function here? Or is there already one and I simply missed it? I admit that I am not the most observant person here, although my suggestion in that case would be giving more visibility and noticeability to the function/button. Although come to think about it, a similar function on articles from certain news category would also be cool (something like wordpress' e-mail notification function?).

...although overall it would simply be great if the whole ANN forums could change software to Xenforo Wink. It looks much better (try looking at the Flexile Space theme on forums.sufficientvelocity.com especially), a lot more versatile (from what I see), and overall offers a much better forum experience to the users. I guess that can be a side-question - is it possible to migrate to Xenforo as the base software for the forum in the foreseeable future and in the long-term?

Thank you, and sorry if this isn't the right place - I am quite new to ANN forum (I figured since I'm giving a suggestion/asking a question about the technical aspect of the forum, it should go into this post, but this would not be the first nor the thousandth times I have been wrong).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
PhpBB 2.x doesn't offer this.

I'll look into Xenforo when I get a chance.
Feng Lengshun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
PhpBB 2.x doesn't offer this.

Aw, that's a shame. No plug-in or extensions for the forum software that can do something like it?
Quote:
I'll look into Xenforo when I get a chance.

Perhaps try contacting the user Xon from Sufficient Velocity and Spacebattles, he does some sysadmin works for the two forum websites which both uses Xenforo. Migration should be possible, Kaori Nusantara - the Indonesian anime forum recently migrated from phpBB to Xenforo IIRC, but I'm not familiar with the sysadmin there so I wouldn't know who to suggest to contact there.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the response.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1