• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any good novels?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmy7596

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I have not read any novels beside oreimo. I read that online. Im basically new to reading the novels so any novels anyone would recommend?
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote
What kind of stories do you like?

Two novel series that I really enjoyed are Full Metal Panic and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Full Metal Panic does not have most of the comedy that was in the anime and manga, but other than that the anime followed the novels rather well, except for the stories that were added. If you saw the anime and enjoyed the the drama and action then you will probably like the novels.
Tokyopop published only 4 volumes (5 Japanese volumes) but they do have the content that was covered by the Full Metal Panic and Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid anime series.

Haruhi is Haruhi.Smile
Sorry, but I just do not have any more time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ginkgo L3af

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Read "Kafka on the Shore" or "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" Both by Haruki Murakami. It's something you'd just have to read as its hard to explain
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Are you looking for light novels or just novels translated from the Japanese? That and an idea of what you like in a book would help me and others give you useful recommendations.
MoonSttar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:26 am Reply with quote
personally what i heard and read/reading was sao's and accel world ln monogatari series (with how much text is in the anime its hard to make the difference which is the ln and which is the anime Razz) im at kizumonogatari now no game no life and log horizon. this should be enough for now for you Very Happy

i personally started them because i didn't wanted to wait for the new season of the anime that may or may not come eventually
yeah im looking at you kizumonogatari Evil or Very Mad

P.S. yes i know who death gun is and no im not going to tell you or give any spoilers i hate it when people do that
jay19

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
Any recommendations for october 2015?
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
@jay19

It helps if you give some information about what you like and what you have read.

The only novel that I have read recently is the first volume of Accel World.
It is definitely not a favorite but I did enjoy it enough to give it a mild recommendation.
If you like the anime the novel is worth reading because it gives some information that was not in the anime. Other than leaving out a few details the anime was faithful to the novel. I think that the first 5 episodes covered the first novel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:27 am Reply with quote
Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift

A satirical masterpiece that’s never been out of print, Jonathan Swift’s Gulliver’s Travels comes third in our list of the best novels written in English
ingridcarley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:18 am Reply with quote
The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
If you haven’t read the book, you’ll nearly actually have seen Peter Jackson’s epic three-part moving-picture show adaptation of it. unbelievable tho' the films square measure, there’s inevitably heaps missing from them and it’s well price patient with the book’s slowish begin to follow the journey of Frodo and friends a lot of closely. If you’re not acquainted with the story, The Lord of the Rings tells the story of a imaginary creature, Frodo, United Nations agency should underneathtake a dangerous mission to the dark land of Mordor to destroy a strong ring – a weapon that fully corrupts those that come back under its power.
HoneyAlice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:40 am Reply with quote
For sure it's Daoist Gu. My favourite Ranobe, with a very unique world and abilities, interesting but rather cruel characters, I have never seen anything like it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1