• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Long Division

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a lot to the game, though leaked footage has fans worried over unconvincing character animation.

Either these fans are very young (like they were too little to play Skyrim not so long ago) or they never saw footage from Bethesda before.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
Really need to play that Indivisible demo. Watched Jim Sterling play it and it seemed fun as hell.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Quote:
There's a lot to the game, though leaked footage has fans worried over unconvincing character animation.

Either these fans are very young (like they were too little to play Skyrim not so long ago) or they never saw footage from Bethesda before.

I suppose it could also be that people were expecting a big improvement in this regard since the game will be on a new generation of platforms. That said, Bethesda has never been very good at character animations, and the company even said the reason that you don't see characters climb ladders in their games is because they couldn't get the animation to work. The company has its strengths, but given their history with character animation, it's not likely that they would make a huge improvement in that regard.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The company has its strengths, but given their history with character animation, it's not likely that they would make a huge improvement in that regard.

Exactly, there wasn't much improvement in regards of character animation from Morrowind to Oblivion or from Fallout 3 to Skyrim, so I don't expect them suddenly bring an A game in this department. That being said, I hope writing will be better this time, Fallout 3 severely lacked writing quality of previous installments and this is one of the reasons why hardcore RPG fans prefer New Vegas to it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
That pizza deal for preordering Xenoblade Chronicles X is actually not totally random as there is a group of aliens you meet that really like pizza as shown in that fansubbed video. And there's also that Army Pizza place that the trailers tend to conspicuously show off.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think that's a waste. I have no particular resentment toward Dizzy, even if her marrying Ky makes as much narrative sense as Princess Peach marrying Pikachu. But Dizzy was all but guaranteed a spot anyway, and now the poll's runners-up, Bridget and Baiken first among them, will have to wait.

She was to be in anyways. The Japanese wasted their votes in the worst way possible, but you know, Japan LOVES THEIR WAIFUS.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me... but I like the edited outfit a whole heck a lot more than the original. However, I'm sure I'm also not the targeted audience so what I think probably means little. Razz

I know my roommate and my husband are both looking forward to Fallout 4's release. Although my roommate will be the only one able to play; he has a PC and has it already pre-ordered while my husband doesn't have a PC or a next-gen system. Although my husband will be happy with watching him or other's Let's Plays until we can finally get him an Xbox One and the game for himself.

At the very least though we're hoping to get lucky and buy him some of the Nuka-Cola Quantum Target is set to sell on release day. Well... if they even have any left by the time he gets off of work that afternoon. XP
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I must wonder if any seriously expected Lin not to be given some tweaks? Nintendo is catering to the additudes of the west which means sexualizing young characters is right out. We could argue that this additude is stupid (I personally think the double standard toward sex vs violence is pretty dumb) but I can't fault a company for choosing to follow that trend (at least in the case where it doesn't hurt their product)
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Over on another site we discussed the changes to the costume in XCX as "improving the design." Something that I truly agree with (the bikini's were extremely garish in design, and not at all appealing). While I still believe what was pulled with Fatal Frame was censorship (the total removal of something is worse in my eyes and already alienates the audience of a pretty niche game), what they've done with XCX is not in my eyes.

Now onto the rest, I sometimes feel like I'm the only person not excites for Fallout 4. Fallout 3 and New Vegas were pretty boring, IMO, and I'd rather pick up Legacy of the Void and Rodea, than Fallout 4. But that's neither here nor there.

Indivisible on the other hand is an exciting new game. Alongside Exist Archive, it's great to see more games with a Valkyrie Profile style combat system. I also like the setting and the character designs. The character designer deserves a lot of praise for their work here. Add in the demo that provides a working version of their game at such an early stage is also awesome.
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
If this is a legit edit on Nintendo's part, then it doesn't matter if the art is crass or just plain stupid, censorship is still censorship. You don't have to like a particular aspect of a work of art; if it's different than what the artist intended, it's not the artist's vision, it's someone else's altered version of it. Personally, I think an artist's vision and meaning should remain intact, even if the meaning behind the art doesn't amount to anything that's thought provoking, worthwhile, or good. It reflects what the artist personally wants, not what someone else wants it to be.

ANYWAY...

Even though I'm not that active of a gamer as I used to be, I definitely had to support Lab Zero and donate some money to Indivisible. Not sure if this project is going to happen though at the rate funds have been coming in. I'll donate some more towards the end if it still needs a push, but if Lab Zero doesn't have any kind of Plan B on hand (tsk) well...
Gozu Tennai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
The new nier character looks damn cool. Looking forward to the destructable skirt too Wink
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fallout 4 presents a vast world

I don't know if any trickery was involved in the video but there was (still is?) a video of someone allegedly being able to traverse the entire map just by walking in just 11 minutes.

I watched the video and that's what it looks like but, obviously, I haven't played the game so it could be misrepresenting the map.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Sume Gai wrote:
I must wonder if any seriously expected Lin not to be given some tweaks? Nintendo is catering to the additudes of the west which means sexualizing young characters is right out. We could argue that this additude is stupid (I personally think the double standard toward sex vs violence is pretty dumb) but I can't fault a company for choosing to follow that trend (at least in the case where it doesn't hurt their product)

my thoughts exactly im not a fan of the whole skimpy underage outfits but hey if GTA, COD Mortal combat, and all those other super violent games just gets a M rating and we move on why can't this? I mean its not like any kids were used as a reference for this(i hope) and its not like 'normal' customers will go around practicing real fatalities so why would this promote(i assume is one of the reasons) sexualization of real minors?

anyways Neir looks... interesting to say the least, i have no clue what its about but it sure looks nice, guess i gotta go hit youtube and see if there are any complete walkthrough's of the first game and see what the storys about. I also need to play drakenguard... 1... 2... and 3. Huh thats gonna take a big chunk of time Anime hyper
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The problem with this editing of X is that the costumes are the same regardless of character. So unless they edited Lyn's base model, the costume will be edited on EVERYONE. Besides, it's optional. You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

Sume Gai wrote:
Nintendo is catering to the attitudes of the west which means sexualizing young characters is right out.

Which also explains the incredibly stupid names that X has been subjected to. Dolls (which makes perfect in the context of the game?) to Skells? Changing the names of Unions to Divisions? (The individual Union changes are equally stupid and don't actually sound like Union/Division names but rather professions.)

I can understand changing BLADE's meaning because I doubt many people know what Logos means in that context, plus it doesn't move as smooth in English. It's a case of Foreign English.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, you know Japan can and will justify why they do the things they do to females both young and old in games, including undressing them to practically nothing. And I'm sure everyone here knows what the "why" is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5