• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Speed Racer Film to Use 1967 Song, "Animation" Compositing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:33 am Reply with quote
Well,all this sounds intriguing to say the least . . .

Maybe this could bode well for the film.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
go speed racer...go speed racer...
I wonder if the "group" who sang that is still alive
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
go speed racer...go speed racer...
I wonder if the "group" who sang that is still alive

If Wikipedia is to be believed, the original was sung by Danny Davis and the Nashville Brass. Danny Davis is still alive at a sprightly 82 years old, but he retired from public performance back in '05.

Scary, semi-anime-related fact I just uncovered: there's apparently a cover version by Stan Bush, of "The Touch" (Transformers: The Movie) fame. I can't even begin to imagine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I'm impressed by this information or if I'm more certain than ever that this will be a bad movie. After seeing a lot of video game-based movies turn out terrible, I'm not sure I have much hope for anime-based ones.

jgreen wrote:
Scary, semi-anime-related fact I just uncovered: there's apparently a cover version by Stan Bush, of "The Touch" (Transformers: The Movie) fame. I can't even begin to imagine.
This link seems to be dead.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quote
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
jgreen wrote:
This link seems to be dead.

Huh? No it's not. It's not a link to hear the song, though, just to the listing for the album it's on at the All Music Guide.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Huh? No it's not. It's not a link to hear the song, though, just to the listing for the album it's on at the All Music Guide.
Okay, apparently it's some sort of problem on my end. The first four of five times I clicked it, I got nothing. Now I've gotten some kind of message that sounds rather cryptic and said something about my speed of access being too high or some such. (I'm just going to stop trying to access that link.)
Axe-336

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Yes! I love that theme song! "Here he come, here comes Speed Racer. He's a demon on wheels. He's a demon and he's gonna be chasin' after someone." I have the DVD with the first 11 episodes: so entertaining, so ridiculous. And its being done by the Wachowski brothers and I know that they are anime and game fans so I trust them.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
The film is being taken care of. Great news!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quote
I have a question, when they say: "Original Song" do they refer to the American or the Japanese? Confused

Rolando Jose
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
Rolando_jose wrote:
I have a question, when they say: "Original Song" do they refer to the American or the Japanese? Confused

I assume they mean the American one. But aren't they the same music, only re-performed with new lyrics? I honestly have never heard the japanese one so I have no idea.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
I assume they mean the American one. But aren't they the same music, only re-performed with new lyrics? I honestly have never heard the japanese one so I have no idea.

Heres is a link to the Japanese version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScF_ZGdg6ik

and one to the American version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALzDcMDhf2o

Rolando Rolling Eyes
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Rolando_jose wrote:
jgreen wrote:

Heres is a link to the Japanese version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScF_ZGdg6ik

and one to the American version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALzDcMDhf2o

Rolando Rolling Eyes

What, pray tell, are you rolling your eyes about? You just proved that I was right. It's got new words, and it's half as long, but the melody of the songs are identical. And really, neither one is an unassailable musical masterpiece or anything....the appeal to both is simply nostalgia, and the American one is going to raise far more nostalgia for American viewers than the Japanese one would.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Thank god they didn't do something as stupid as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhLAOuRioZE

Then again, it had one good effect: Bryce Papenbrook got his VA chops in that series.
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about you guys and I never watched the original series, but I find the English opening way better than the Japanese one. I am not that interested in the whole Speed Racer thing anyways, though I might always go see the film since I just love everything I have seen from the Wachowski brothers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2