• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: USA Today Booklist, August 20-26: All 3 New Naruto Volumes Place

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote
Good. Now we know it can be done, so speed up more series!
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote
It's interesting to see that it did work. Of course, the true test will be seeing if things continue this way until December, which is when I think the 3 volumes/month ends, IIRC.

I'm not sure if I really want other series to be released so quickly, to be honest. I like it when I have to wait 2-3 months between releases because I don't spend as much money that way.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I really think Tokyopop is hurting themselves by streching out the releases of Fruits Basket. You can hardly carry momentum when it is 3+ months between volumes. Just witness the latest volume. Considering the big revelation(s) in it, I thought it would do better, but I think some people are turned off by the long delays between volumes. And to think I thought anime release schedules were bad!
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
i subscribe to sj so all i bought was vol. 18. I need the second half of 17 though so i'll buy that with a borders coupon.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I'm not sure if I really want other series to be released so quickly, to be honest. I like it when I have to wait 2-3 months between releases because I don't spend as much money that way.

That's always the worst argument to use...

1) You end up spending the exact same amount of money.

2) You don't have to buy them as they're released. You can still buy them at your leisure and at your own pace.

3) And you take a quicker release schedule away from those of us that want it.

/"argument"
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I’m surprised. If they can keep this up the next 3 months then I’d be impressed

Josh7289 wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:

2) You don't have to buy them as they're released. You can still buy them at your leisure and at your own pace.

/"argument"

And what about all the series that aren’t Naruto? Does releasing 12 volumes in 4 months really help the sales of other series? I already have to order half my series online because the bookstores simply don’t have the demand or room for them. In most stores these 12 volumes will likely take up a full 2nd shelf in the time span that Viz used to publish just 1 volume of Naruto. Where will all the new series go?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:

/"argument"

Okay, I'll re-phrase: I spend less money at once without being left behind.

Plus, you have to wait even longer once you catch up to the Japanese release, at least some of the time. The once series I'm following is coming out that's caught up is ridiculously slow, so I'd rather spread out that wait than have it all at once.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
I really think Tokyopop is hurting themselves by streching out the releases of Fruits Basket. You can hardly carry momentum when it is 3+ months between volumes. Just witness the latest volume. Considering the big revelation(s) in it, I thought it would do better, but I think some people are turned off by the long delays between volumes. And to think I thought anime release schedules were bad!

I can deal with the wait for Fruits Basket. It's annoying, but there are only 5 volumes left, so it will be done with in a about 15 months.

What really gets me is Samurai Deeper Kyo, which still has 15 volumes to go.

Quarterly releases are fairly normal these days, with Viz being the only company that releases many titles bimonthly, so it's not that big of a deal or at least its justifiable. Even Viz is releasing more and more titles quarterly rather than bimonthly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1