• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Garo: Crimson Moon (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Same position.

I'm not entirely sure what the point was. Sure, her dying was better for everyone...but only because it would have unleashed a devastating Horror. The mother didn't want to die and didn't want to leave her children orphans. That's natural.

The ending rang false. The kids are alive, but they're impoverished. Even if Seimei and the others agree to support them to some degree, we're still talking about a situation where a very young child is taking care of a baby. In the slums. Where disease and violence are probably the norm. Hopefully the daughter was close to being weaned... The story would've worked better if the son was a teen. You could reasonably see him caring for his sibling then, even if it doesn't erase the other issues.

So far, this series feels bland and meandering. There are scraps of an ongoing plot, but but ultimately no direction. Even with its shortcomings, the first Garo had something of a unique flavor. It also sold poorly, but I doubt this series will do any better. I do like Seimei, though, and it's 2 cour. Maybe it'll pick up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
Just a question. Does anyone actually feel tension over any of the fights in this show? I feel myself totally zoning out the second he gets permission to transform because it is completely obvious how things will turn out that it just becomes really boring. I really was not the biggest fan of aspects of the first series, but it did do some interesting things, while it feels like after the setting this show has offered almost nothing. It pretends it is tackling difficult questions, but it does not feel genuine at all.

Too many unanswered questions about the life this young child would live after this situation to pretend it was a happy end. We don't see the kid upset because it would go against the lesson they were trying to teach here. And the show is so ridiculously heavy handed when it says something along the lines of "this character will totally probably turn into a horror", as if pretending it is being subtle.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Eh, that was a bit...eh predictable and generic. The episode highlighted Seimei's story including the part about her family, which of course is hardly pretty to hear.

I don't think her decision in the end was surprising at all though. And also, Raikou's character in this season so far is fairly weak. I hope that improves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

So now everybody's on the same page regarding Raikou's past. Does he also know what Kintoki's deal is, cause I'd sure like to know.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Oh no, what a terrible ending! T.T Whyyyyy?

I suspect little brother is going to end up a Horror because of his frustration at not being able to help anyone. Cause thwarted altruism is evil in Garoland.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
^Things seem to be going in that direction, but I hope Raikou will be able to save him somehow, for some reason I kind of like the character (I mean, I'm not attached to him like I'm not attached to anyone else in the series, but still...). I was actually hoping Yorinobu would get the second Makai armor (so he could be the Alfonso to Raikou's León), but the PV for next episode seems to point at Hakamadare getting it. Which is a shame, since he kind of sucks as a character, given how all we know about him is that his hair can magically change colors and that he wouldn't help the kid from a few eps ago to get the medicines for his dying mother
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
This series' horror roster just gets more and more weirder each week...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

It looked like it was going to be the standard formulae it usually follows, but I think my gut was telling me that something different was going to happen, and it was that they were not able to save everyone. Seimei chose to save Raikou over general people, and I think it was exactly the type drama needed to shake things up, as it is clear that she cares about him so much, while he is trying to complete his duty.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh I get it now. The darkness they were talking about still lies in Seimei. However, what I found interesting is how Seimei was able to overcome her personal weakness.

Probably the best episode this week for the second season. Action picked up and there's no cheesy comedy that I found dull in this show. Raikou's Makai Armor gets a nice upgrade. And for the first time in awhile, I found the Horrors to be legitimately dangerous including the onomoyu professor's possession. Raikou's Makai Armor in its true form looks awesome.

I hope the rest of the episodes can keep up with this momentum.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I think the show got better, definitely better than the first half. No more awkward comedy but instead we get a feel similar to the first season.

This week's episode goes to show that you can't judge books by their cover especially with the "Shining One" and his true visage. The whole beauty ideology got really weird though...

Anyways, the Crimson Moon at the end got me interested as the main plot is starting to move again.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 15

"What's he going to do with him?"

"I'll explain it to you later." Laughing

Glad Jam Project is back for the OP. Feels a bit more Garo-ish now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:56 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I think the show got better, definitely better than the first half. No more awkward comedy but instead we get a feel similar to the first season.

Story telling has indeed improved, the plot does not feel quite so much like a pointless monster of the week setting.

What could have driven such a man to becoming a horror?
He found grey hairs and had a mid-life crisis. It is not like we saw much as it being anything more than such a sad thing. I have found grey hairs and I am only 25, I am not sucking the youth out of anyone.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking the new OP and ED. The first OP wasn't bad--I like it--but Jam Project's best song (imo) are the exciting or fast-paced ones.

Despite some off model characters and a few instances of really poor animation, the production values seemed better this episode. The writing, too. There was some comedy, but they've ditched the really bad anime humor. The biggest problem is they're still not getting to the meat of the story, preferring these episodic tales. I like episodic series, but they need to be well written. Most importantly, this has an overarching plot with Big Bad Villains, so they should spend some time fleshing that out. But most episodes have contributed neither to the story or to character development. Villains do something and then vanish (literally). This is something you expect from a long-running kid show.

This episode all but confirms they're heading down the path where Raikou and Seimei hook up. Yorinobu was briefly attracted to her, but now they've introduced a new character he's already crushing on. Gets him out of the way. Wish it wasn't heading that way, but alas, it's just another cliche in this hodgepodge of anime paste.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18:

Ahh, I liked this week's episode.

Being Seimei really is suffering with that curse of hers...
And the Crimson Moon arc is really moving forward too. I like this development and got a bad feeling about next week especially with the cliffhanger.

Is it also just me or does the Horrors get more and more uglier in this series? They are starting to remind me of the first season's though.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
The show's got quite dark recently in the second half especially with the revelation about Seimei being the vessel and Kagura's connection. They're really making Rudra a legitimate threat in this season aand actually believable despite her not having being at full power.

Decent episode in terms of building up events behind the scenes again with Douman. Raikou really has his work cut out for him...and it's also more of a personal battle because of Seimei being involved. Interesting...

I feel like this is a personal battle for Raikou now and it's his own way to save both the people from Rudra's resurrection (if completed) and Simei herself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3