• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you playing right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Playing Chrono Trigger for the first time. Only up to the point where Frog makes his introduction but I’m really loving it so far. Lot of charm and personality; I’m especially amazed at the numerous animation movements a lot of the characters have, shows the creators put a ton of effort into this game.

Game has cats in it, this is awesome.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
A while ago, I lost my copy of Fantasy Life, so I finally decided to replace it when an online sale occurred. Man, it's like I never left! Unlike most cartridge games, Fantasy Life doesn't save itself to the cartridge, but to your 3DS system. So, even though I lost the game, I start it up and BAM! There's my save file! I was so damn happy! I had over 40 hours on the thing already, so this pleased me greatly. I would've started a new game if I had to, but I didn't! The start of the game told you that it saved at least partially to the 3DS system itself, but it was never clear how much. Seems like it's all of it, all my stupid items I'd spent hours harvesting were there too!
So now, I can finally beat the main story (I hadn't beaten it for lack of not wanting to, the game doesn't really take that long to beat, I was just mulling about doing random things, like making furniture and stuff, lol, I'd never cared too much about the story when the gameplay was so awesome), and the two requirements to use the DLC are beating the main game and being at least level 50, and now, I can finally buy the DLC! I'd been saving $10 so I could buy it (meaning $10 on my 3DS shop credit, not like a physical $10), woohoo!
Eleanor White

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:39 am Reply with quote
Seeing lots of interesting-sounding titles here, but sadly I had to lay off video games until the end of semester. Currently entertaining myself with mobile apps - they seem to be less time-consuming. I like rythm and music games in particular, best way to re-energize! I'm playing Musikland right now and it's a lot of fun. Digging the character designs and soundtrack!
http://entertainmentzoneapps.com/en/apps/musikband_luzerner_fasnacht
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
Picked up Tales of Zestiria. I'm like 5 hours or so in, but it's not grabbing me as much as Tales of Xillia 1 or 2 did. I just don't like the combat as much. There seems to be two types of Tales series combat: the "like super smash bros" and the "not quite like smash bros", in the former, O button + a direction (depending on the console, think it was B for Symphonia on Gamecube) does a special attack, dictated by the player (select it from the menu outside of battle, or even in battle). Later games let you assign even more using the right analog stick, and Xillia made it so you could have 16 instead of 4. X button + direction does regular attacks. O attacks cost SP or TP (depending on the game) to use while X attacks refill that gauge (except in Legendia, where it just refills over time).
In the non-smash games, the special attacks from the other games become the normal attacks, so all attacks take from some sort of gauge. But I don't like this as much because it feels more button-mashing to me whereas in the smash-like games, some attacks have elemental attributes and etc to them, some might propel you over the enemy, etc. I just feel like I'm more in control with the system that Symphonia, Xillia, most of the others, etc use. I think they're easier to learn, but more complex to master, so I prefer the smash-like battle system overall.

I do think that it's cool that battles now take place in the exact environment that you're in. Instead of running into an enemy and going to a battle field screen, it happens right there. So any rocks, hallways, etc, will stay there. You run into one, but then like, 5 more things show up to make it a real battle. And you can still do encounter links, I love those! Instead of running into two next to each other on the field, you have to kind of lure one battle to join another, the underside glows black, then you know you've got an encounter link. On the negative side though, making battles take place in the environment makes you have to have large environments, which seem pointlessly large at times.

So far, not totally sold on the characters. I hear Rose is probably the most interesting, but she's not in the party yet (though she does show up early on). I also wish I could just have 3 Seraph in battle, not two, it kind of forces half of your party at any given time. Right now, I might only have four characters anyway, but I'm sure that'll annoy me later on. If I can switch characters out in the middle of battle, that'd be cool (not sure why Xillia 2 got rid of that when Xillia 1 had it, that just seemed stupid), and maybe make it annoy me less.

But I was sure I'd be playing it all night long, yet I'm not, and that's what kind of disappoints me the most. With Xillia 1 and 2, I played all day for back to back days. I'm hoping once I get a bit further in, I might start doing that, but I dunno.

And I'm also still playing Fantasy Life, I just cannot stop! I need these damn celestial ingots, but, unlike the other ore ingots, I can't buy them, I have to make them. But I've totally neglected my blacksmithing as I'm a wizard. So my carpentry is good (gotta make wands) and my sewing is pretty cool (gotta make wizard gear), but smithing wasn't ever that useful. And I need the stupid celestial ingot for something carpentry related, argh! All the weapons and armor I'm making as a smith are useless to me, lol, but that's ok.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Persona 4 Dancing All Night
One of the many things I really like about the Persona games (especially 4)has been the music.
In all JRPG's I have played, you will hear the battle/combat music a lot. I mean a LOT. P4 has been the only game where I could tolerate it after 40 hours, and even after 400 hours I have in P4 and P4G playthroughs.
So the deluxe disco version was purchased, for the soundtrack.
It might be the biggest retail box for a Vita game I have seen.
The soundtrack did not disappoint, including many great remixes of most of the P4, golden and arena songs.
The Heaven remix is my favorite.
As a rhythm game, not as big of a fan. Guess I am too used to the two Project Diva games.
The main issue are the scratch rings, which seem to blow the flow of the song/button presses. They don't count against you, but you won't get to see the dance duets unless you hit them.
I made it through the story mode and this is easily the most cheesy of the P4 franchise. Some of the dialog is really corny, I think by design.
I have played all the P4 iterations, just lack completing Persona Q on the DS.

The VA replacing Laura Bailey for Rise does good, but is missing that certain impishness Laura brought to the char.
I could not tell you anything about the dances. When playing, I am laser focused on the targets and the music. I do go back and rewatch later, I have not yet for this game.
Don't know if $79 for a game and 2 disc soundtrack is worth it for you, I am happy though.
Feng Lengshun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
Currently playing Undertale. Why? Because I couldn't take it. I tried to go for Kill-All route after finishing True Pacifist on my first play, but I couldn't take it. I could not murder all of those innocent monsters and kill all of my best friends - characters that I had become very endeared to in the previous playthrough.

So I did another Reset, and decided to go for a True Pacifist route again to give them all a happy ending to really live in. And after that, I won't play the game anymore. They deserve getting some happiness without getting messed by my thirst for entertainment.

Best JRPG ever, 10/10 - Undyne the Undying is awesome.
jay19

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
I'm playing Tales of Zeristria on my PS3. I think this will be the best tales series when it comes to art and gameplay, not sure about the story and character development yet though cause I just started.

Last edited by jay19 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
I've spent much of today and tonight playing Yōkai Watch. So far, I'm having plenty of fun with it. The battling system is refreshingly different from that of Pokémon's, in which the battles against the enemy Yōkai are real-time as opposed to turned-based.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking of quitting playing Tales of Zestiria. For characters, sure, there's Edna, then there's.... everyone else. Edna is basically like Toph if that helps. Toph with an umbrella.

But even in games with a "meh" cast of characters, if I can rely on the gameplay to grab me, then I'll stick with it. But I honestly don't like the combat. I'm sure part of it is that I'm in love with the Symphonia system (which Abyss, Legendia, Xillia, and Xillia 2 all use a variation of and is part of what sucked me into those games) and this has the Graces f system (a game I've sorta kind of quit playing as well). But I honestly feel like I'm always button mashing, just like I did with Graces f, I don't get why people like those combat systems so much. And I feel like I can't link regular attacks and special attacks smoothly like with the Symphonia system. So I feel like I'm just button mashing and healing and blocking now and then. And I definitely don't like playing as Sorey, any of the Seraph are more fun to play as. I felt like I was in control of the combat field in Xillia, but not here at all.
And my god, the crafting system is just a mess to me. I thought maybe if I kept tinkering, it'd make more sense, but not really. Sure, others games might use the boring and straightforward "find X number of this item and get it made", but it's sort of a classic for a reason. It's typically inoffensive most of the time. But this is just annoy as hell. It's never clear if I'm actually improving stats by equipping this item or just messing everything already there up.

But then I'm also going "but everyone loves the combat, does it suddenly get significantly better at some random point? Is there something I'm missing?" and I also haven't heard Go Shiina's dungeon themes in game yet, but I suppose that's what youtube is for. I'm kind of mad he only returned now, he needs to do more Tales games OSTs if you ask me (and most people)
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Playing Bayonetta is a cool and fun game. Also F-Zero GP Legend in the VC. I would liked Climax but y'know what happened with the anime in the US.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
currently playing destiny for the PS4. originally gave it a shot cause it's bungie's pet project after leaving halo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Replaying one of my favorites games ever: The Legend of Dragoon. It's a JRPG from PS1 that has additions where when a character attacks, you have to time the button pushes in order to do more damage. This can get kind of tricky later when the additions have 7 moves to them.

The voice acting was never good but the plot is great.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Playing Elder Scrolls Online. This is my first time playing an MMO and I'm still in the process of getting used to it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:42 am Reply with quote
I got a PS4 about two weeks or so ago, hooray! Most of the games I want for it are PSN games though, very few physical games (at this time). But every time I turn it on, the cat immediately jumps up on my chest and tries her best to block my view of the TV. I think the PS4 controller's light up thing attracts her or something.

As for the system itself, the PS3's XMB was way better. Is it that hard to organize the damn games into folders? Seriously, that's all I friggin ask. Hopefully a future update will fix that, or I am going to have a mess of a home screen. I'm hoping 500 GB will be enough, like, every game seems to require 20-30 GB just to save or something (and yet, Digimon Story requires like, 3, and it's an RPG!), I'll be frequently clearing things out of memory I suspect. The 120GB I had on the PS3 seemed to be fine (the only time I had to delete a game was because I disliked it). I did have to clear things off my 3DS too though (some of it was stuff I just didn't like anyway). But there's like, tons of online things on how to replace it with a 2TB thing later on, and they say the newer 500GB models run better than the older 1TB models too. I do have a gen 2 model, which has buttons that make a clicky feel when you push them, which is just nice (why would they not have that to begin with?) and runs better. I do wish it turned off more like the PS3, instead of giving me a menu and putting power options towards the bottom, but I can deal. The lack of folders is my main thing, honestly.
But they did just launch an update that now has remote play on PC and Mac, not just Vita, so that's pretty awesome!

And I may want to consider getting an HDMI switcher, my TV only has two slots, one is on cable, one is on games. It may be handy. But then I remember back to the PS2 era, where you had to get up to turn the system on and off too. And to do things like switch the Gamecube and whatnot, and now I think I'm just being whiny, lol.

I've totally only played two games on it, lol! As for how many I've bought, well, three download titles, and two physical discs + 2 games that I had on the PSN already from PS3 that ended up being cross buys.

I'd been waiting over a decade to play Grim Fandango, and now I can! I'm waiting for game sales before I buy things like Hatoful Boyfriend and other PSN games I'm excited about, but luckily, this one was on sale! I've not beaten it yet, but I am enjoying it. It doesn't have quite the humor that I was expecting form Tim Schaeffer, it's a bit more serious, but it's still good. Glottis is pretty awesome.

And, I did the Kickstarter for Amplitude, therefore, I had the code for that one, didn't have to pay again. I had played the hell out of that PS2 game, for years, it was one of my most played games, so, as expected, I've been spending a lot of time with this one too. It's still good stuff, and I'm quite pleased about that. It also seems to be one of the only PS4 games to use that stupid light up thing on the controller. I overall dislike that light, I have a tendency to scratch itches on my face while holding controllers, and this just blinds me, lol. This one uses it to show what color track you are on. I suspect that they had to drop the FX track (it seems to be mixed into the vocals track, if it's present) because they lacked a color for it. Also, very few songs in this game use the guitar track (there's maybe 2 or 3). It didn't take me long to unlock all the songs, but I think that was part of the plan, to make that easy. But I didn't pay enough for the higher tier backer exclusive bonus track, but youtube it.
I've gotten used to the trigger button, and I'm starting to get my old skill back, slowly but surely. I do like the new tunnel mode, the first game in the series, FreQuency, had that style, this one duplicates the tracks three times so that it's not a cluster, but is still easy to navigate. Also, the only track duplicated from the last Amplitude game is Symbion Project's Synthesized, though it's been slightly remixed. But yes, my gaming crack is back!
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently playing Fire Emblem Awakening. I already played Fire Emblem Fates Conquest and so far I love Awakening more than Fates. Plus Awakening has Chrom.

I also bought Skullgirls 2nd Encore a few days ago so I been playing that a lot. Peacock is my favorite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 17