• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Vanishing Point

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
Tina I can sort of understand, but Lei-Fang??? I thought she was popular enough. Surely, she should be more popular than Christie, but apparently not. Kinda surprised they're cutting characters at all but maybe they'll include them as DLC later on. As for Sodom.....never liked him in Alpha, don't particularly care for him. They'd have to really spice him up to make me excited for him. Think he's in one or two stages in SF4 as a background char, don't mind him staying there lol.

This is random, but I want an action game where Marie Rose is a magical girl and she's merking monsters with her Systema martial arts.

Last edited by Souther on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
I personally don't care for DOA, so I'm not going to complain whether it is localized or not. Still regardless of what is true, Koei Tecmo believes that it's not a good time to release a lewd game without risking backlash, and this is somewhat perpetuated by the Shonen Jump Weekly's even if they have never attacked DOA directly. I've never been a social media person, but I'm even less one nowadays.

That said, in practice, they are powerless; the Play-Asia twitter incident was hilarious to say the least. At least people who want the game can still get it in English.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
It seems that today's Warriors for Social Justice are so humble and self-depreciating that they won't even take credit for a victory they've achieved: namely, making America's marketspace so intimidating to those who "objectify women" that Japanese companies don't even want to sell here anymore.

I say: congratulations, Warriors for Social Justice! Give yourselves a pat on the back. You deserve it! You've saved us (especially us adult white males) from the perils of playing a game that objectifies women. I mean, we wouldn't even like it, anyway, as you surely know (much better than we do ourselves!). So, thank you, and please keep up the good work!
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
It seems that today's Warriors for Social Justice are so humble and self-depreciating that they won't even take credit for a victory they've achieved: namely, making America's marketspace so intimidating to those who "objectify women" that Japanese companies don't even want to sell here anymore.

I say: congratulations, Warriors for Social Justice! Give yourselves a pat on the back. You deserve it! You've saved us (especially us adult white males) from the perils of playing a game that objectifies women. I mean, we wouldn't even like it, anyway, as you surely know (much better than we do ourselves!). So, thank you, and please keep up the good work!

It's like what happened with the moral guardians and D&D. Funny how history repeats itself. Except this time, it's worse since it's affecting Japan to some extent.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
It's like what happened with the moral guardians and D&D. Funny how history repeats itself. Except this time, it's worse since it's affecting Japan to some extent.

Well, of course everyone knows that D&D is thinly-disguised devil-worship. Sadly, there aren't any orgies, but we do sometimes summon lesser demons for intense philosophical discussions on probability and statistics (is 2d5 really better than 1d10?).

It's too late for me: I've already been playing D&D for many years, but there is still time for others to avoid its evils! If you haven't yet joined the Crusade to Protect People From Themselves, do it now! You never know who might benefit from censorship that *you* support.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
It's astonishingly hilarious how political jvideo games of all things have become in the last few years. IMO I feel it's only gonna get worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
someting broke in the article and a lot of text is shown like this

Last edited by maximilianjenus on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd spare little time criticizing Kasumi and Tina's bikini slips when Akiba's Trip exists.

Hey now, you shouldn't compare Akiba's Trip unfavourably. After all, it was a triumph for equality that treated men and women the same. More games should strive to be like it.

And no, that's not sarcasm. Add some shirtless hunks who can lose their trunks to DoA and it'd all be good.

Last edited by Vaisaga on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
I'd spare little time criticizing Kasumi and Tina's bikini slips when Akiba's Trip exists.

Hey now, you shouldn't compare Akiba's Trip unfavourably. After all, it was a triumph for equality that treated men and women the same. More games should strive to be like it.

And no, that's not sarcasm. Add some shirtless hunks to DoA and it'd all be good.

not really, people still complained about akiba's trip treatment of female, even though male got the same treatment after feedback, they already closed that door.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
I'm in the camp that believes Koei doesn't want to release Dead or Alive Volleyball 3 in the US because they are not confident about sales.

Despite people claiming that "politically correct culture" is destroying businesses, there is still plenty of sexualization and bigotry to go around.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Many misguided souls point at some dastardly cabal of feminists and bloggers and Kotaku journalists who scheme to rob the world of fun, as though they're the villains from Doozy Bots. Yet as far as I can tell, no one in the press specifically called for Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 to be martyred for the sake of game-industry sexism, and most of the negativity around Dead or Alive 5 is constrained to side comments in game reviews.

Dead or Alive and Koei Tecmo don't exist in some bubble. They could simply be reacting to a toxic environment where people can get outraged over almost anything. This section of the column starts off by listing a bunch of games that have been edited, not all of which have been a reaction to specific backlash either. Publishers do seem genuinely concerned about having their names dragged through the mud.

Quote:
Or are they covering up the fact that they don't think Xtreme 3 would sell over here?

Koei Tecmo's western branches aren't afraid of publishing really obscure games. Just this year alone they brought out Nobunaga's Ambition and a Deception expansion. I have a hard time believing Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 would sell worse than either of those two. On top of that, the game is getting an English release in parts of Asia. The cost of putting that version out on the PlayStation Store is nominal for a company Koei Tecmo's size.

You can doubt Koei Tecmo's true motives behind that statement, but I'd go with this being part of an advertising campaign before saying there's no market for it.

Quote:
If nothing else, I'd like to hear more from KOEI Tecmo's community manager, who didn't really want to talk about issues of sexism.

Do they owe anyone that? Yes, Dead or Alive is a franchise built on pandering to men, but that's not even close to all of what Koei Tecmo publishes. This is the same company who was a pioneer in the otome genre, setting up a development team over 20 years ago (that still exists today) consisting almost entirely of women. The same company who doesn't shy away from having playable female characters in almost all of their games. That includes a relatively recent purchase of a studio who makes RPGs that almost exclusively star female characters. This is the same company that was founded in part by a woman.

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours is out on the PlayStation duo next week.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I'm in the camp that believes Koei doesn't want to release Dead or Alive Volleyball 3 in the US because they are not confident about sales.

Despite people claiming that "politically correct culture" is destroying businesses, there is still plenty of sexualization and bigotry to go around.

Yeah, I think that is the same, Xtreme sub-series doesn't sell well enough for them.

(Even if Don't like DOA series, other people do.)

Ah, about Big, fans dislike one of the unique characters in the games, but It's Sonic Fans, you know, they hate everything.

Last edited by falcon.punch on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
After reading this article I am in camp of not confident in sales not theboogeyman nonsense for releasing DOAX3
Amiantos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

DOAX 1 & 2 sold comparable in the US to Japan. There's been countless articles on the net by the usual suspects calling the DoA franchise sexist. We've seen softban on "sexist" dlc costumes in the tourney scene for this game too.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
It seems that today's Warriors for Social Justice are so humble and self-depreciating that they won't even take credit for a victory they've achieved

I know it must be comforting to blame the big scary feminist conspiracy for every development in your life that you dislike, but sometimes companies just don't localize sequels because the previous games didn't sell.

As was pointed out already, the main series DOA titles are just as fan servicey as the volleyball games (though much less pointless) and Tecmo had no problem releasing the latest game here just a few months ago. Did your "warriors" not exist in February when DOA 5: Last Round came out? Or could it be that Tecmo prefers to localize titles that people will actually BUY?

I mean, look, I think it's genius of Tecmo's PR department to generate hype for a game that no one cared about (not the feminist boogeymen, and, be honest, not you either) by pandering to the paranoia of certain fedora-clad, perpetually angry individuals. And the fact that these people all took the bait so eagerly is a sight to behold.

But maybe the reason the hated Warriors for etc. aren't taking credit for this is because they're too busy watching you all line up to waste money on a game you didn't even want 24 hours ago, all because Tecmo told you that the people you hate don't like it. It would a violation of your FREE SPEECH for us to stop you from making fools of yourselves.

Last edited by Wyvern on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9