• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica 'Concept Movie' Hints at New Work

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
The whole point of the 3rd movie was spoiler[Homura wanted Madoka to be free and safe/happy, not a slave to the fate her wish gave her]. It made perfect sense with Homura's character. I thought the ending sucked, yes, but the overall plot of the movie worked fine...it just needed to continue further. Especially since the last few minutes weren't fully explained.

I'd like one final movie, at the least.

edit: I don't really see how this hints at a new project. Just seems more like a tribute.

Unfortunately because of circumstances they had to take an idea that made sense character wise in concept and take the most shock value oriented and over the top approach to it with her sneering and being all creepy and evil which makes absolutely no sense given her apparent noble minded goal.

If anything this franchise needs a lot of work in how it handles it's lore (it's not very good at it so much as it is good at introducing ideas of philosophical conflict), rules of what is and isn't possible for the cast to do within the universe (it made it look like Madoka getting from the point of ordinary girl to magical girl universal overseer figure was a hard one with consequences and a relinquishing of control over her life that took a whole series journey of development just to achieve that much and then for whatever reason apparently Homura is able to go from being trapped in an imaginary world and unaware of it to assuming total control over the universe greater than Madoka's in the span of about 40 minutes and fixing everything that was limiting what Madoka could achieve in her stint with even more control and gives absolutely no reason as to why or how that should be the case) and to just stick to a damn idea and not rely so much on undermining genre concepts and ideas including it's own just to have twists and shock and unnerve the audience. It was IMO at it's best when it wasn't trying to do that with the TV series and just sticking to character drama both of the personal and relationship kind.

I don't know about other people but I'd have a really hard time staying attached to a franchise that seems more concerned with undermining and surprising people with what they think they know about the cast by constantly trying to turn things on their head. If anything it kind of just makes things just look like they have no idea where they're really going with them and that they are lacking in consistency more than anything.
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:
Add me to the list of "loved the series, loved the film, and would love more Madoka".

Count me in, too!

I absolutely loved Rebellion. Although it ended abruptly, I loved the idea of spoiler["what love can make you do"], and as Kougeru said, the themes used in the movie fit completely with Homura.

But anyway, I'd like to watch that short and if there's any confirmation about a new Madoka project, then I'll be more than happy.
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
-50 points for trying to look like Princess tutu........unless the story will have Duck and Krehi swoop in too murder the cast and give gen and shaft a real lesson in good storytelling and subtlty. Then this is going smoothly lol
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
-50 points for trying to look like Princess tutu........unless the story will have Duck and Krehi swoop in too murder the cast and give gen and shaft a real lesson in good storytelling and subtlty. Then this is going smoothly lol

Well since the franchise seems to be largely about "deconstructing" magical girl genre works and seemingly articulating or having its fans articulate why they think it's a superior or more mature work it wouldn't surprise me if Princess Tutu is it next target. Supposedly it could just be that Tutu is supposedly one of Shinbos biggest inspiration but the guy has such a monstrously inflated ego I somehow have a hard time figuring he'd do a flat out tribute to it so much as "try to do it better" and have fans claim as such as well thus validating himself.

I don't know but something about the way the people behind this show talk and act and the ideas they seem to have gives me the impression they don't really have a whole lot of respect for the magical girl genre and why it was popular in the first place let alone any anime they didn't help create. I get that vibe from Shaft/Aniplex period though not just the Madoka Quartet and continue to be surprised they aren't more controversial. Just every time I hear them talk it's always about what great ideas they have and how they're going to surpass this and that and be number one and its and massive turnoff. Thankfully there's none of that with this so far yet but then none of them have had and chance to speak yet and I'm kind of curious but also dreading when they open their mouths on Friday.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I really am just so enamored with Madoka that I'll take anything I can get. I mean, I want quality, but I'm one of the people that will be there no matter where the series goes next.

Maybe there will be a next movie where Duck and Kyubey team up to defeat homura.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Article wrote:
The movie hints at a new project for the franchise, but nothing has been officially announced.

I hope this leads to another TV series or movies because it has been 2 years since Rebellion. It will be dumb on Aniplex part to not keep milking the money-making Madoka Magica franchise.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
And so the rabid fan theories start. Is the tutu a reference, since they said it was a hint? Maybe to Swan Lake, so does Madoka die?? If she does, is it Homura who kills her? What will Homura do if she dies? Maybe Princess Tutu? All I can say for me is if they don't do a sequel to Rebellion I'll lead the table flipping, Faye style!
gpanthony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Happy Thanksgiving.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Come on, lt it be... let it be what many of us have dreamed of.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
And so the rabid fan theories start. Is the tutu a reference, since they said it was a hint? Maybe to Swan Lake, so does Madoka die?? If she does, is it Homura who kills her? What will Homura do if she dies? Maybe Princess Tutu? All I can say for me is if they don't do a sequel to Rebellion I'll lead the table flipping, Faye style!

Remember that Homura's outfit at the end of Rebellion was that of the black swan in Swan Lake, so that's already been established as a theme - wouldn't surprise me at all if ballet homages continued.

I'm very excited for this... we've been waiting two years since that cliffhanger...!
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Article wrote:
The movie hints at a new project for the franchise, but nothing has been officially announced.

I hope this leads to another TV series or movies because it has been 2 years since Rebellion. It will be dumb on Aniplex part to not keep milking the money-making Madoka Magica franchise.

It's literally their most successful anime original franchise ever but seems to be slowing down a lot and obviously not making any real new money without any new content but it's not like it's like Gundam or something where they can just roll a new AU series every year and make a whole bunch of new merchandise that they have total control of the profits over.

They've also consistently seemed uncertain of how to continue it despite getting that Rebellion movie but that was somehow very non-committal and kind of weird feeling and it's unclear how it fits into the canon or not. It's like it introduced a bunch of new ideas and situations to the franchise and then didn't really do anything with them and just kind of ended.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
People who are still salty about Rebellion: yes, that was entirely the point. If you want to stick it to them then stop falling into the intended audience reaction here. It was an attack on the fandom, Evangelion-style, and for that reason alone it was far superior than any conventional plotline. I certainly hope whatever comes next continues in that direction, or at the very least finds an entirely different direction. There's only so much we can do with what's already been established, and you can always read the manga series for that - good series, but ones that don't tread as much new thematic ground as Rebellion did.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
People who are still salty about Rebellion: yes, that was entirely the point. If you want to stick it to them then stop falling into the intended audience reaction here. It was an attack on the fandom, Evangelion-style, and for that reason alone it was far superior than any conventional plotline.

Well... that was part of it, but saying it was purely an attack on the fandom is like saying the original was entirely an attack on magical girls. Which is something people say pretty often, come to think of it, so maybe that example doesn't work...

Anyway, that one sketch isn't much to go on, and Madoka already danced like a ballerina in the beginning of Rebellion, so this isn't really new information. We'll have to wait and see, if there's actually going to be a way we can watch this "concept movie."
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah you're right, it did have more to it than that. That's one of my favorite parts about it though. Hehe.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
I love it, soo down for this. The third movie felt more like the start of a new story arc than anything else. Hopefully the power of love and genki will overcome all
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3