• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yu-Gi-Oh's Millennium Puzzle Cast in Pure Gold To be Displayed at Jump Festa

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
"Blue Eyes Alternative White Dragon"?

Is that another alt art card or another Shining Dragon situation?

Puzzle looks sweet btw.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
^ Considering what Kaiba's new way of dueling does in the movie, it's most likely a re-imagined Blue Eyes(Like Yugi's Black Magician for the movie) that happens during the duel from spoiler[Kaiba's mind] that Konami is making a card out of to add to the game. So yes, it's a new card for the TCG, but for the story, most likely no. Btw, the card is on the Yugioh 20th website if you haven't seen it...or google it. lol

They chose a relevant day imo to feature the puzzle. Nice. At that cost, I better be able to alter fate whenever I see fit and start a Yami no game whenever I'm in danger.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't the Millennium Puzzle be that heavy in pure gold if one tied it to a necklace and wore it?
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
the replica looks impressive, now what would be more impressive is a plastic millennium puzzle puzzle set with interlocking pieces so it doesn't fall apart at the drop of a deck
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
Wouldn't the Millennium Puzzle be that heavy in pure gold if one tied it to a necklace and wore it?

I assume it's hollow inside to be lighter, with the added benefit of being cheaper to produce.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:50 am Reply with quote
That display of the Millennium Puzzle looks epically impressive. Surprised
The Blue Eyes Alternative White Dragon... I wonder if that card was made to specifically to commemorate the anniversary of Yu-Gi-Oh?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
As I write this (4:54 PM Arizona time), CNN Money puts gold at $1071/oz. That means the Millennium Puzzle is worth $51,408. Why they charge it nearly 4x the price is beyond me. It could have something to do with the yen exchange rate.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
As I write this (4:54 PM Arizona time), CNN Money puts gold at $1071/oz. That means the Millennium Puzzle is worth $51,408. Why they charge it nearly 4x the price is beyond me. It could have something to do with the yen exchange rate.

According the the following link there's various factors in play but the biggest one I'd guess is the fact that it will be a bespoke order on the part of whoever has ordered it. I am assuming Shueisha. That can add a lot of upmark.

http://www.callagold.com/education/rule-of-thumb-in-calculating-the-cost-of-gold-jewelry/
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
TheAnagelic1 wrote:
"Blue Eyes Alternative White Dragon"?

Is that another alt art card or another Shining Dragon situation?

Puzzle looks sweet btw.

Blue-Eyes Alternate White Dragon is a retrained version of the original Blue-Eyes, similar like how Red-Eyes Black Flare Dragon is the retrained version of Red-Eyes Black Dragon. Blue-Eyes Alternate White Dragon can be Special Summoned from the hand by revealing 1 Blue-Eyes White Dragon in your hand. Blue-Eyes Alternate White Dragon is treated as a Blue-Eyes White Dragon when she's on the field or in the graveyard. Treating her as a Blue-Eyes White Dragon is good, since Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon and Blue-Eyes Twin Burst Dragon require multiple copies of Blue-Eyes White Dragons.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
With the upcoming movie, it would be appropriate to have a Dark Magician card since that is Yugi while Blue-Eyes is Kaiba. Also, it goes with the fantasy theme of a magician fighting a dragon.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
Sweet I'm going to go check this thing out if I can Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
"She"? I'm guessing this has something to do with that special and how the card is depicted.
russ869

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
Reminds me of this article. Turns out he was pretty close with his calculated estimate of "4.4 pounds" and "over $100,000." Or basically the equivalent of wearing half a gallon of milk around your neck.

https://ygocanonshuffle.wordpress.com/2013/02/04/how-much-is-yugis-puzzle-worth/

In this article he even goes into how this weight estimate is not technically accurate due to the fact that canonically, the Millennium Items are made of a gold-ash alloy (due to the spoiler[incinerated carbon from the dead bodies of the human sacrifices used in their creation]).

https://ygocanonshuffle.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/how-much-does-yugis-puzzle-weigh/
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:28 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
"She"
I don't see anything in the artwork to indicate it's female. It's a male, in my opinion, as are much of the Duel Monsters.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:

Considering a less than one centimeter gold chain can weight in a very noticeable way I am sure the millenium puzzle would be quite a heavy thing... even if having many hollow parts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1