• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Owarimonogatari

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I loved episode 8. It was well crafted and constructed in a way that made references and paid homage to occurrences and plot points throughout the Monogatari franchise going as far back as Bakemonogatari. The eccentricities of the characters and mystery atmosphere are very important elements of Monogatari for me, but episodes like this one showcase the joy in the entertaining and exciting (creepy fanservice included) facets of the franchise. More episodes as fun as this one please.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Though, is Kizu still set to be released this November in NA? If it is people might as well wait just a little bit, or read it during this arc is airing.

Kizu got delayed to December, but it is still coming out in North America. It will definitely clear up some things for some fans for sure.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Metal Fennrir wrote:
The problem with this Arc that we're about to head into, is the fact that... most people don't know about Kizumonogatari. Like... those lines of "The only one I'd be happy to die with would be Shinobu" COME from Kizumonogatari. The old school building should also hold some significance to the whole deal: that place is pretty much representative of the bond between Kiss-shot and Koyomi, and the fact that Shinobu is missing and he's in the School Building just hanging around, remembering his time with Shinobu... like, it feels like such a waste. Hell the fact that he lost a tooth and all that... GAH! I can't take it, the movie is like 4, 6 years too late

I'd honestly recommend either;

A. Read Kizumonogatari before continuing to watch this arc
B. Wait for the movies to come out, then continue this arc

Of course, that's just my opinion

Kizu isn't required to understand any of the Monogatari series - the series has already basically told you the results of the story and that's what matters from a narrative standpoint. All reading Kizu will do will give you a clearer understanding of Araragi's relationship with Kiss-shot/Shinobu and more perspective on her character as a whole.

The fact that they are essentially soul mates in the most literal sense of the word being that they share one energy source (Araragi) is explained in other parts of the series. Kizu is a great read and my fav of the series but the reason it hasn't been shown yet is because it's not required reading~
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
haha Yotsugi chan is so cute. My favorite character.
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:

Kizu isn't required to understand any of the Monogatari series - the series has already basically told you the results of the story and that's what matters from a narrative standpoint. All reading Kizu will do will give you a clearer understanding of Araragi's relationship with Kiss-shot/Shinobu and more perspective on her character as a whole.

The fact that they are essentially soul mates in the most literal sense of the word being that they share one energy source (Araragi) is explained in other parts of the series. Kizu is a great read and my favorite of the series but the reason it hasn't been shown yet is because it's not required reading~

It is quite required if you truly want to understand who Kiss-shot is. You know, the only character that has been left unexplained since like, forever (even her later arcs feel weak if you don't have their background). From a narrative standpoint, you can't just skip the whole origin until the very end. AND the reason that Kizu hasn't been shown is... because it has been delayed since 2012. That's 3 years we've been waiting, and we've seen 4 seasons of Monogatari Series in the span of those years.

I'm just giving an honest advice, because that arc shows the origins of the Araragi we know of, the link between the 2 and... well, I'm sure if you were to ponder for a while you'll realize how much hasn't been told about our MC and the event that changed him. Kizu's probably the best novel out of the bunch because we get to see him do everything that makes him Araragi... and the results of those actions
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
It's quite ironic that the blogger finds Gaen so appealing. She absolutely ruins it for me everytime she's on screen. Smug and irritating know it all.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
It's quite ironic that the blogger finds Gaen so appealing. She absolutely ruins it for me everytime she's on screen. Smug and irritating know it all.

Are you referring to Nick's review? I just read it and I didn't think he was overboard with admiration for her.

I think Nick was spot on with
Quote:
Monogatari loves its monologues, but when they're illustrated as beautifully as this, the time flies.

Put that way, it isn't the character which is so appealing as it is the presentation. This anime's forte.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Another awesome entry with episode 10. I am really liking Shinobu Mail. It has a bit of everything that makes Monogatari special to me: comedy, imaginative visuals, appealing characters, creepy Koyomi and mystery.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Good review again from Nick on Episode 10. I have little left to add but this one thing.
Ep 10 review wrote:
Monogatari is often about sexuality, but it doesn't necessarily have to be about sexuality in an aggressive sense.

I found it also interesting that they chose to use the little bookstore scene to address the issue of Araragi's "famous" pedophilia (and failing miserably). Of course there is no shortage of forum posters here and elsewhere that think he is one and I have to wonder if they were responding to them somehow.

Unreasonably, I felt irked that he blew 3900 yen of the 5000 he had for food for two people (active teenagers no less) for the whole day. You can't get much in Japan with what he had left.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I found it also interesting that they chose to use the little bookstore scene to address the issue of Araragi's "famous" pedophilia (and failing miserably). Of course there is no shortage of forum posters here and elsewhere that think he is one and I have to wonder if they were responding to them somehow.
Definitely felt like a fourth wall breaking moment. He says that "lately" he's been having fun with Shinobu, Yotsugi and Hachikuji a lot and that the suspicion that he is a lolicon is "growing day by day", but at this point in the timeline no other characters should know about any of this. Well, except for Gaen who "knows everything" anyway; can't remember if he told Kanbaru about Hachikuji. So this was definitely addressed at the audience more than anyone. I don't think they were trying to justify or debunk it though; more like "Look, even he is aware of it himself! Wink"

HaruhiToy wrote:
Unreasonably, I felt irked that he blew 3900 yen of the 5000 he had for food for two people (active teenagers no less) for the whole day. You can't get much in Japan with what he had left.
Yeah, going by Osaka prices from three months ago this is like, two conbini bentos tops. Or 10-15 cups of instant ramen from a supermarket. And he hasn't even bought the bra. He better have some pocket money on him! Smile Not that it probably matters now, given the cliffhanger at the end...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
where in the episode was Shawshank referenced?
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
where in the episode was Shawshank referenced?
This shot, somewhere in the second half.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
interesting. I saw that, but didn't make the connection. and i've seen the movie at least 5 times. thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that conversation between Kanbaru and Shinobu was definitely a jewel in monogatari's crown, the best the show has been in a long time.

Interesting to see Araragi and Episode interact again, and especially seeing how relaxed Araragi is around him was kind of surprising. The duel taking place back on the Naoetsu courtyard is perfect, I hope it's spectacular.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And so Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blade suffers a direct defeat, at the hands of a perverted high school girl.

... with balls of steel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5