• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PONYCAN USA Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Ggultra2764

Probably because they found out the hard way that the earlier titles had a very limited market without a standard edition. I'm fairly sure I saw a news article where they said that there would be no standard editions at any time.

Sometimes reality provides a corrective action. The standard edition is still pricey but not beyond consideration.

Still irks me that they never considered doing so in the first place. I would like to get Yuki Yuna is a Hero considering the reviews I've heard for it. But I'm not desperate enough to drop $200+ on what is only a 12-episode series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it is possible they may provide standard editions of their earlier titles at some future date. I expect they may wait a bit to save face though. I suggest you keep your eyes on this thread. If they do the standard edition may simply be the disks from the CE in a plainer package.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
Shawne Kleckner confirmed with me this morning on Twitter that the standard DVD and bluray releases for Rokka have been canceled:

https://twitter.com/shawnekleckner/status/663738883113283584

The collector's edition is now the only way to purchase the show.

Note that these were canceled without any official word of warning from PonyCan USA themselves. Even for them, this is a new low. Evil or Very Mad
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
It is a shame there is no way of telling either why the initially offered a standard edition or why it was cancelled.

If Rocca is doing well in preorders for the collectors edition they may feel they are making a profit without the necessity for a standard edition. If it is doing poorly, it may be they think the standard edition was taking sales from the pricier version. Or it may simply be that the person who was against standard editions threw a fit.

At the standard Sentai or Funimation pricing this would have been a nice set to pick up in spite of the lack of an ending. However even their proposed standard edition would have been a hard call.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm overthinking it but this really doesn't bode well at all and sounds like there is a deeper issue going on. Rokka is the 5th release by them since they started this year and out of those titles only 1, Yuki Yuna could be considered a candidate to do decent with those higher then Aniplex price points and the others seem to be really, really niche titles.

If they cancelled the standard release of these sets my mind can only think because Rokka is selling so poorly/LE is selling so few compared to standard sets that they can't afford having the only sales coming from half price standard sets.

I've said it before but the upcoming Sound Euphonium release is probably going to make or break this company as I can't see anyway they can stay afloat with the higher then Aniplex prices if they don't have the catalog or heavy hitter like AoA does. I can only hope the reason Rokka which aired after Euphonium but is getting released first is because they are putting all their effort into that release, dub, multiple purchase options, possible CE redesign etc...

Again maybe I'm overthinking it but the NA market has moved away from high price singles with few episodes to cheaper complete series/half season sets and AoA can do what they do because of the longevity and catalog they have. I want Ponycan to succeed as more companies the better but I don't see how they can with their current model.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
@DuchessBianca

Since we have no idea of their expenses or their sales, we simply don't know how they are doing. In the current situation, since this was their first attempt a standard edition, they simply may have had second thoughts. Perhaps someone looked at the preorder numbers and had the bright idea that all the standard edition orders would buy the CE if they had no choice.

Pony Canyon has, so far, shown no sign that they either understood the North American market or that they were willing to deal with reality. From some of their press releases in the past year I got the idea they consider North American pricing both insulting and evidence of failure.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Rokka -Braves of the Six Flowers-: Collector's Eiditon 2 (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 96 minutes - $89.98 - 2/10/16
Quote:
Customers who pre-order Collector’s Edition 2 by December 31st will also receive a replica key frame set.

NEW BONUS! In addition to the original GWP offer, customers will also get one ORIGINAL animation key frame while supplies last!!

Special limited offer! Customers who pre-order all three Collector's Editions (volumes 1-3) are eligible to receive an episode storyboard done by the director, Takeo Takahashi. Eligibility for this special limited offer lasts until the final cut-off date of the regular gift with purchase for Collector's Edition 3, which will be in February 2016 or while supplies last.

Contains episodes 5-8 plus original soundtrack volume 2, a deluxe booklet, a double-sided cover illustrated by Sayaka Koiso, and 4 collectible character cards.

Special Features: Clean Opening, Clean Ending.

Spoken Languages: Japanese, English subtitles, Spanish subtitles.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
...Wait, Sound! Euphonium belongs to PonyCan?

Fffffff...!

And after I just finished watching it and finding it to be the most compelling slice-of-life-like production since...fudge, possibly when Clannad was causing everyone I know to cry like a little bitch (understandable, of course).

My wallet really can't handle this. I was really hoping that Sentai would've picked it up. Seems like their kind of show.

Oh well. Least I know it'll be pretty, will include sheet music, and then include the music itself...maybe in a 5.1-mixed DVD-A.
...That last one unlikely, but whatever. A man can dream about astonishingly-mixed chamber/concert/classical music. *Looks over at the Halo 5: Guardians 5.1-mixed blu-ray selections disc.*

...So good. <3
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
that is a huge PLUS belonging to pony canyon instead of being delayed TWO YEARS or more like some "other" high profile animes who's distribution rights are owned by certain other companies. You can't even buy a tamako market blu-ray yet, so ridiculous.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
that is expected to arrive after christmas, lol
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
ETOTAMA: Collector's Edition 3 (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 100 minutes - $89.98 - 3/10/16
Quote:
Customers who pre-order ETOTAMA Collector’s Edition volume 3 by January 31st will also receive an Uri-tan card!

Contains episodes 9-12 plus an opening CD coupling song "Sol/Lull Kurenya!" and ending CD coupling Song "blue moment [LIVE ARRANGE ver.]", a deluxe booklet, double-sided cover illustrated by Koike Satoshi, and 2 collectible wall pin-up pictures illustrated by original character designer Akio Watanabe.

Special Features: Stage scene movie collections, TV Commercial Collections.

Spoken Languages: Japanese, English subtitles, Spanish subtitles.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:15 am Reply with quote
http://garakowa.us/product
Quote:
Garakowa -Restore the World- Import Edition

Release Date: 4/10/2016
SRP: $89.98
Store Price: $71.98
Pre Order Starts from 2/11 at Right Stuf

Disc Features
■ Spoken Languages: Japanese
■ Subtitles: English
■ Aspect Ratio: 16:9 widescreen
■ Total Run Time: approx. 67 min.
■ Rating: 13 UP

EXCLUSIVE BONUS MATERIALS & SPECIAL PACKAGE
Special box character drawing by original character designer,
Kantoku Digipak illustrated by Main Animator, Toshie Kawamura
88 Page Special Booklet
(72 Page Official Booklet + 16 Page Design Archive and more)

Extra CD
“Sendan Life” by Remo (Yumiri Hanamori)
“Insomnia” by Dual (Risa Taneda)
“Hello” by Dorothy (Ayane Sakura)

Video Extras
PV Collection

Audio Features
5.1ch Surround Sound
Headphone X Support

**U.S. Exclusive Bonus**
English translation of the Special Booklet
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
http://garakowa.us/product
Quote:
Garakowa -Restore the World- Import Edition

Release Date: 4/10/2016
SRP: $89.98
Store Price: $71.98
Pre Order Starts from 2/11 at Right Stuf

Disc Features
■ Spoken Languages: Japanese
■ Subtitles: English
■ Aspect Ratio: 16:9 widescreen
■ Total Run Time: approx. 67 min.
■ Rating: 13 UP

EXCLUSIVE BONUS MATERIALS & SPECIAL PACKAGE
Special box character drawing by original character designer,
Kantoku Digipak illustrated by Main Animator, Toshie Kawamura
88 Page Special Booklet
(72 Page Official Booklet + 16 Page Design Archive and more)

Extra CD
“Sendan Life” by Remo (Yumiri Hanamori)
“Insomnia” by Dual (Risa Taneda)
“Hello” by Dorothy (Ayane Sakura)

Video Extras
PV Collection

Audio Features
5.1ch Surround Sound
Headphone X Support

**U.S. Exclusive Bonus**
English translation of the Special Booklet

Since this is listed as an import edition I'm assuming its safe to assume there will be a domestic release later on? I only ask because I saw via your twitter I believe awhile ago a tweet that hinted at it getting dubbed and after Rokka I'll be extremely sad if this is yet another case of a series Ponycan stated they wanted to dub is getting the sub only treatment as that would make them 0/2 out of the 4 they mentioned wanting to =/
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Who the hell buys this stuff? $90 for a set of 4, sub-only episodes.

Even Aniplex of America laughs at this. They offer SIX episodes! Six!

But really. Should we be expecting them to go belly up any time now? I mean honestly - that's roughly $22 per episode. Sub-only.

And each one of Miyazaki's movies goes for roughly $20. Do they seriously think that that an episode of Denki-Gai holds more value than a Miyazaki feature?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8