• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Death Note English Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Odekerk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope the dub has improved since the trailers.
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
only 12?!
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote
It's a good thing that I haven't heard of most of the people on that list. Then, I would be making judgements left and right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gacktx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Wth were they thinking Brad Swaile as Light. Oh yea cause when I think evil genius I think Quatre....
Pake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Same here Odekerk. I just googled the trailer and my first thought was "Why is Light happy and cheerful sounding?" There just seemed to be a lack of sinister intent behind the voice like the original version gives.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Like I said in The Click thread, I am beyond excited about this dub.

Alessandro Juliani is a wonderful actor, and does a great job on Battlestar Galactica, and Brad Swaile did a great job on Gundam Wing.

I'm really glad they didn't cast any "regulars", like the Bosch or Crispin Freeman.

Quite frankly the dub will be better for it IMO.

Gacktx wrote:
Wth were they thinking Brad Swaile as Light. Oh yea cause when I think evil genius I think Quatre....

There wasn't much "evil genius" to Light's performance sans a few scenes of internal monologue (which I still think Swaile will be able to handle it easily).
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I too think the dub will be better for the number of unknowns and first-timers.

Alessandro should be interesting for L. I think I've seen him a little in Galactice, but I can't remember. I have however heard him in Oban Star Racers as Koji. Koji is a very un-L voice. It's still a good voice though; I can imagine him changing it to fit L. Looking forward to the dub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes (OK, I got carried away with the exclamation points.)
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Light's a spoiled brat. He thinks he's better than everyone else almost from the start which is part of why I had a hard time getting into the story (took L to draw me in)--Light as a protagonist is very hard to like. And I like my share of baddies (Akabane. Faust 8th. Xellos.)

So I've been hearing Light (in my head) as somewhat superior know-it-all type
Gacktx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Light>L
Oronae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Light's stupidity and arrogance are the driving forces of conflict in the series and the only things that keep it from ending with spoiler["and then Light did the eye trade and killed L/Near/Mello/Naomi/Raye/Whoever"] or spoiler["and then Light decided challengeing L was stupid and pointless since there is no way in hell he can ever get caught if he doesn't keep leading L to himself.] the number of scenarios that could have gone entirely differently even at the very end of the series, spoiler[he could have easily done the eye trade and killed Near a couple weeks after the wearhouse incident.], were he not so arrogant and vain is really amusing. Which is why no matter how much the series wants to convince me he's a genius I refuse to accept it. Light may have the ability to come up with needlessly complex plans but he consistantly makes such stupid mistakes that any of that is easily negated.
Gacktx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
Light's stupidity and arrogance are the driving forces of conflict in the series and the only things that keep it from ending with spoiler["and then Light did the eye trade and killed L/Near/Mello/Naomi/Raye/Whoever"] or spoiler["and then Light decided challengeing L was stupid and pointless since there is no way in hell he can ever get caught if he doesn't keep leading L to himself.] the number of scenarios that could have gone entirely differently even at the very end of the series, spoiler[he could have easily done the eye trade and killed Near a couple weeks after the wearhouse incident.], were he not so arrogant and vain is really amusing. Which is why no matter how much the series wants to convince me he's a genius I refuse to accept it. Light may have the ability to come up with needlessly complex plans but he consistantly makes such stupid mistakes that any of that is easily negated.

Cept the fact that if he wasnt all those things there wouldnt have been much of a show...
Oronae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Gacktx wrote:
Cept the fact that if he wasnt all those things there wouldnt have been much of a show...

On the contrary one could tell a story with a non-retarded Light. It would just be a very different type of story, one without super-detectives trying to hunt down a mysterious mass murderer but rather the real root of Death Note's story: the story of what one man does when given absolute power over life and death. A story which is of course far harder to tell convincingly than what we are given which is why I do not blame Ohba for relegating it to the background in favor of crazy detective antics. Light's quest to create a new world is in the end not the focus of the series because it would be a very difficult story to tell, and that's okay I suppose, the series is still very good.Though I'll not claim I wasn't a tad dissapointed that it is a story that shall likely remain untold.
kushiel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
...I'm scared, yet intrigued. Brian Drummond only has two different voices - Vegeta and Zechs. He's one of those voice actors you can totally guess after just a line or two, and he just doesn't seem like Ryuk. Interested to see how this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bakaShin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:

it was only at the end where light's stupidity and arrogance drove him to his demise. in the beginning it was the mistakes he made and trying to always be in the defensive trying to cover it up which was impossible due to the evidence. the trade is simply the easy way out (trade = killing everyone = no story) and i cant see anyone like light thinking he would need to do it.

i hope Ocean Studios does a good job into this, i hope its not just gonna be shonen style VA which i am growing ever so tired of hearing.
Oronae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
bakaShin wrote:
it was only at the end where light's stupidity and arrogance drove him to his demise. in the beginning it was the mistakes he made and trying to always be in the defensive trying to cover it up which was impossible due to the evidence. the trade is simply the easy way out (trade = killing everyone = no story) and i can't see anyone like light thinking he would need to do it.

i hope Ocean Studios does a good job into this, i hope its not just gonna be shonen style VA which i am growing ever so tired of hearing.

Though it does definitely get worse towards the end it's still pretty bad in the beggining if Light hadn't deliberately spoiler[showed them Kira was a student, demonstrated his ability to set the time of death, demonstrated that he had access to taskforce information, used criminals that were in jail to test his limits, killed the FBI agents when they were about to call off monitoring him, constantly showed off what a genius he was to L to get closer to him... the list goes on...] they would have never placed him on the suspect list in the first place. His arrogance leads him to directly challenge L someone who has no chance of -ever- finding him if Light doesn't act against the investigation.

Even after Light spoiler[kills Lind L Tailor] they still only know he's in the Kanto region of Japan and there is nothing guaranteeing to them that Kira can't just pick up and move. Think about it for a moment how would you go about finding Light amongst millions of people when you know nothing about him beyond that he's in a certain geographic region? I'll allow that L may be a genius but it's still impossible to find Light if Light just ignores you and carries on "judging criminals" as per usual.

It's also interesting to note that Ohba tones down Light's evilness fairly quickly. Originally he was also planning to kill non-criminals who squandered their abilities or were unpleasant in general as well as legitimate criminals but he never does this. Mikami suggests doing it later on in the series and light gets all pissed off at him...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4