• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gegege no Kitaro "jumbo size"?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegionXIII

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
I'm totes new to this forum, so I don't know if this is the right sort of board for this sorta question, but I got turned on to gegege no kitaro by someone I was living with a while back, and since the manga-ka recently died I decided to read it. I really like it, but its definitly more geared for kids. It got me thinking that I could try and use it as a tool to brush up on japanese, I looked and does seem to have all the furigana I would need. I just can't imagine reading furigana on a normal sized volume is easy and I guess my question was does anyone know if they ever released a like bigger size print of gegege no kitaro, kinda like they're doing with the dragonball manga? (In japanese of course) google is not giving me great answers just because it's so insanely popular here that theres so much merch that comes up when I search.

Thanks! <3[/u]
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
It appears that they are reprinting the earliest works in new editions, but they don't appear to be large-size editions. They're available in the US through Kinokuniya ($43 each, it looks like), and I'm finding them on Amazon.co.jp as well. Amazon.co.jp is listing the size for volume 9 of the new releases as 520 pages, and 18x12.8x2.2cm, so it might be fairly thin pages, too.

For what you're looking for, though, you might consider the Bilingual Editions that Kodansha put out. I have a couple volumes of the Bilingual Cardcaptor Sakura, and they're really nice. The pages are all in English, with the Japanese in the margins. It's small, so it doesn't help with furigana, but they're made to help Japanese kids learn English, so, theoretically, they should help in the reverse as well.
LegionXIII

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
ah cool thanks! I saw the bilingual editions, that was gunna be my next choice, those jumbo sized releases are always pretty nice because you can your face right in the picture so I figured I'd try my luck. Fortunately I've seen those bilingual editions for pretty cheap.

For the sake of not just shutting down the thread I'd be super interested in hearing if you or anyone else has any suggestions for good series to learn with. Everyone always says doraemon but I'm not TOO into doraemon. As far as stuff for younger kids I'm def more into the like, gegege no kitaro/dragon ball age stuff.

Anyway, thanks for all the super detailed info!
lys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
Drawn & Quarterly is also publishing collections of the Kitaro manga in English (nicely produced editions; the bilingual editions I've seen for other series are pretty cluttery with the typesetting since they're meant as study aides rather than collectible art). At least one should be out already, with more on the way next year. I think D&Q's books collect selected stories, rather than reproducing the manga's entire run chronologically. D&Q has also published quite a few of Mizuki's other series in the last couple years, if you want to read some of his works for older audiences.

As for studying as you read, any series that's classified as shounen or shoujo should have full furigana, so it doesn't have to be just the series for really young readers but can be middle/highschool demographic too... oh, but your concern is the size of the type in those books. (for what it's worth, I usually have no issue reading the furigana in normal-size vols unless I'm reading in dim light (which is a bad idea anyway :) )) Perhaps you could investigate a Japanese manga magazine like Shounen Jump, or any others that match your interests? They serialize current titles rather than classics like Kitaro/Dragonball, but the magazine pages are like twice the size (or more) of a typical manga volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1