• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pizza Hut Launches Evangelion Movie Campaign in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh. The medium-sized pizza. The ultimate price gouger. Laughing j/k

Those cardboard stand-ups look pretty neat though. Giving away only 50 seems like the perfect number to flood online sales.

Also, I know it says 1:1, but how tall is that? 41/2 feet?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much those will go for online. I want one Very Happy
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Pizza Hut is really jumping on the anime bandwagon. I've seen ads not only in Code Geass, as mentioned elsewhere, but also Darker than Black and Kaze no Stigma if I remember correctly. And now they're hooking up with the Evangelion franchise.

To sidetrack a bit, what they've been doing is actually clever from a global marketing perspective. They've paid the Japanese companies to have their logo in the anime itself, so that when it gets exported to other nations, it's still right there. I guess the ads could be taken out later for foreign DVD releases, I'm not sure if that would be allowed. But it's definitely already out there on the fansubs for these shows. Code Geass is licensed for R1, Darker than Black as well, Evangelion will be if there's not an agreement in place already, and Kaze no Stigma (another Gonzo show) should be eventually. So for the money they paid to Japanese companies, they'll also be able to advertise at no additional charge to the US, Canada, and so on. I'm hoping it doesn't become too popular, I feel it is very distracting when you're watching it.

That said, the idea of a collectible pizza box is not one I can really get behind. I mean, it's not exactly clean. Maybe Japanese pizza is made differently so the boxes are not as much of a grease-trap.

Also, if we're talking stand-ups, I'm more of a Misato fan than Rei. Rei's an interesting character and I like her, but I don't really understand the fanboy infatuation that goes on there. Maybe being a bit older than the average fan (31, and 24 when I first saw Eva) I prefer the one closer to my age. Hmm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
They could save money on cardboard (and get in my good graces) by making a Pen Pen stand instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Great...Now I want pizza and Eva more. I'm so hungry.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
I guess the ads could be taken out later for foreign DVD releases, I'm not sure if that would be allowed.

Heh, I love spotting those in DTBlack. It's a marathon.

I heard that the R1 companies could actually get sued for having those ads in due to copyright infringements (since it's not the Western branches that gave, or rather, sold the advertisements rights). Ridiculous, but that'd be fun.

As for the actual topic at hand, dang, I don't even like Eva and I want one of those Rei pinups. That would be amazing next to my door. Also, what an amazing concept-- now those hikikkomori otaku living on pizza can get a double deal. Sheer brilliance, Pizza Hut. I go invest me in some stock now (not really).
Arcwave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
That's great! Go Pizza Hut! I wish I was in Japan...

/j
Roy9076

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Good god! I bet Eva nuts outside of Japan will import those pizzas! 0.0
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how ADV will deal with the obvious pizza hut references. Essentially its free advertisements for Pizza Hut, but they may not want to associate them selves with a violent japanese cartoon.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Oooh... A life sized Rei... Be worth the plane ticket to Japan to pick one of those up personally...
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, that Rei stand-up is niice. You're right, Roy9076, I'd totally import a pizza if it means that I also could have the stand-up. 50 is a pretty small number though. It wouldn't surprise me if Pizza Hut's Japanese website overloads. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
I wonder how ADV will deal with the obvious pizza hut references. Essentially its free advertisements for Pizza Hut, but they may not want to associate them selves with a violent japanese cartoon.
Um, they're already associating themselves with a violent Japanese cartoon by letting the Japanese creators use the images in the first place.

I've also wondered about the global marketing effects of these product placements. I wonder if the North American sections of these companies realize that by placing these products in Japanese series, they're also reaching a large audience of 18-25 year-olds in their home territory who get the fansubs and/or the DVDs. That's got to be pretty lucrative, and we all know the industry could use a little more money here and there.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

I've also wondered about the global marketing effects of these product placements. I wonder if the North American sections of these companies realize that by placing these products in Japanese series, they're also reaching a large audience of 18-25 year-olds in their home territory who get the fansubs and/or the DVDs. That's got to be pretty lucrative, and we all know the industry could use a little more money here and there.

Not to mention that product placement is far more noticeable in anime, there's plenty of it in live-action movies but I hardly ever notice when it's not blatant. It's much more bright and noticeable when animated.

I actually applied for a job at a pizza hut because of Code Geass, just so I could joke with people about being part of the rebellion. Job didn't work out, though, I hated it and quit after around 3-4 months.

Last edited by Unholy_Nny on Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
How much is it to deliver a pizza from Japan? And does the 30-minute rule count down there?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:

That said, the idea of a collectible pizza box is not one I can really get behind. I mean, it's not exactly clean. Maybe Japanese pizza is made differently so the boxes are not as much of a grease-trap.

It's really no different from the myriad Star Wars "collectible" food packaging we've had here; serious (read: obsessive) collectors will go to a Pizza Hut and offer them full price for an empty box.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2