• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spam Flooding

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
There is currently a spambot flooding the manga forum. I'm trying to report the posts, but they can post faster than I can report. Which brings me to my issue:

I know that phpBB2 has a timer built in to limits how often you can make a topic (it's either make a topic or post in general, but they have the same effect). This spambot has managed to post 43 (at current count) spam threads in less than 30 minutes.

What honest reason would someone have to make more than one post per minute? Reasonably, posts should be fairly well thought-out, and should take longer than a minute, so why isn't the timer at least set to 60 seconds between posts?

Which brings me to issue two: Why is there a timer on when you can REPORT posts?! Yes, reports should be well written and explain your reason for reporting, but not all reports take so many words to explain. Like "spam" or "necroposting" or "speculation," just for a few examples.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
At least the flood seems to have stopped. There has been nothing new for over an hour, but all of those posts are still in the manga forum.

It does seem odd that having that many posts in that short time from one account would not trigger an alert, in addition to the reports that we made. I reported only three or four of them because I thought that it would not be necessary to report each of them.
Maybe there is just not anybody around to do anything about it right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I get that there was probably no one on at the time. The point is, is that I can't think of any justifiable reason why someone would need to make multiple posts in less than a minute. So why isn't the built-in floodgate not set to at least 60 seconds between posts? And why IS it turned on for reporting posts?
MrMonttu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I posted on anime forums yesterday, but my topic never showed up...so, I thought it was a bug or I messed up something. Tried to change things and post again...but I guess I made things just worse. Can't see any of my topics anywhere lol.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
MrMonttu wrote:
I posted on anime forums yesterday, but my topic never showed up...so, I thought it was a bug or I messed up something. Tried to change things and post again...but I guess I made things just worse. Can't see any of my topics anywhere lol.

About those attempts of yours: Please read "Teh Rules." Thank you.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I know that phpBB2 has a timer built in to limits how often you can make a topic (it's either make a topic or post in general, but they have the same effect). This spambot has managed to post 43 (at current count) spam threads in less than 30 minutes.

What honest reason would someone have to make more than one post per minute? Reasonably, posts should be fairly well thought-out, and should take longer than a minute, so why isn't the timer at least set to 60 seconds between posts?

Hi Dessa,

This has always been a challenge. A stricter limit would do a better job with spam, but it would also annoy more people. Currently the limit is set to 30 seconds (IIRC). I know that when it was set to 60 seconds before, a number of people complained, and I myself found it quite annoying.

I wish PHPBB would give us more control over this, for example 2 posts in x seconds is okay, but 4 posts is 2x seconds is not okay. But it doesn't, so we have to compromise.

Quote:

Which brings me to issue two: Why is there a timer on when you can REPORT posts?! Yes, reports should be well written and explain your reason for reporting, but not all reports take so many words to explain. Like "spam" or "necroposting" or "speculation," just for a few examples.

We used to get a lot of blank reports and we didn't know why these posts were being reported. Additionally, we found that the report feature could be spammed, and people would abuse it. SO a delay was implemented.

Quote:
There is currently a spambot flooding the manga forum. I'm trying to report the posts, but they can post faster than I can report. Which brings me to my issue:

If you report one post and say "This user/bot is spamming the forum" it is vastly preferable compared to reporting every single post they make. In otherwords, you only need to report the user once.

-t
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1