• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The Top Ten Games of 2015

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Berseria takes place in such a remote time and place that its world bears only vague resemblance to what Tales of Zestiria showed. Is there any point to the connection?

Is there a point to connect Final Fantasy X-2 to VII? Nope but marketing is marketing after all.
Tale never had a good sequel and Zestiria is a (decent) mess so i am slight worried but they can now promote the deeply needed anime better. Marketing strikes again!

I will assume that you aren´t a fan of the MGS continuity Todd. Or of finished products Cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Undertale is supremely overrated. There were too many disappointments this year to warrant even a top 5 for me but Yoru no nai Kuni is my game of the year with Tokyo Xanadu being a very close 2nd.
Brandon Alexander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Undertale is supremely overrated.

everyone has an opinion. to me its the best thing iv ever played. to others it could be terrible and thats fine as long as they dont state there opinion as fact. so have a good day and a merry christmas
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Undertale is supremely overrated. There were too many disappointments this year to warrant even a top 5 for me but Yoru no nai Kuni is my game of the year with Tokyo Xanadu being a very close 2nd.

Yeah, Undertale is good, but not the best game ever. And personally found it boring to the point that I deleted it so fast as possible I am just no fond of that game.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
God Eater: This is honestly the best news God Eater fans could ask for. It took a long time, but we're finally going to stay up to date with the series after all that silence from Bandai Namco.

Quote:
And this time the title stays blasphemous.

Thank Gods, I mean God, for that. ;D

Tales of Berseria: Berseria better have a playable lizardman. Don't tease me Namco, and just make one. I would ask for literally nothing else from the series since I don't think a playable dragon will ever happen. Making it related to Zestiria isn't necessarily a bad thing; Zestiria's world felt quite small in comparison to other Tales titles, so at least seeing more of it, even if it's in the distant past, will give us a better framework of what Sorey's planet is really like outside of the small island we've explored thus far.

Ys VIII: I'm seriously behind on my Ys. I still haven't acquired a Vita, so I still need to play Celceta, and I have yet to try Oath in Felghana for that matter. Haven't finished Ys II yet despite I'm pretty much ready to declare it done (final boss's damn flying bowling ball attack is just too all over the screen). Looking forward to this one, but I'm surprised Falcom hasn't yet remade Ys V. It's the only Ys title from the bygone Super Famicom era that needs its remake so that we can finally play it officially.

Though it's unrelated but still in the same vein as Ys, I badly want Tokyo Xanadu.

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter:

Quote:
If Falcom heeded those suggestions to forcefully modernize, we wouldn't have as engaging an RPG as their The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky sub-trilogy. That, and a more reckless and trendy Falcom likely would've gone bankrupt five years ago and killed off all chance of us seeing a Popful Mail remake someday.

Tell me about it. Falcom sticks to their formula and their games still sell. Modernization has ruined series like Final Fantasy to the point I don't even know what name brand I'm looking at anymore.

With Cold Steel's recent release, Legend of Heroes is definitely getting its stride back in the U.S. After the horrifically bad way the Gagharv trilogy was handled by Namco Bandai back then, it's only logical for the series to go up rather than languish in a sad pile of poorly translated titles.

Undertale:

Quote:
Undertale challenges video-game conventions and weaves a memorable story along the way, and while it sprinkles on in-jokes summoning everything from Illusion of Gaia to Earthbound (and perhaps even Moon: Remix RPG Adventure), it's very much a singular creation.

At what point does it reference Illusion of Gaia? And does anyone else think the choice of cinnamon pie is a possible reference to Lufia?
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
And this time the title stays blasphemous.

Thank Gods, I mean God, for that. ;D

I gotta ask: why did they ever change God to Gods anyway for the first game's localized title? Who were they afraid of offending exactly if they'd left it as God Eater?
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
And on top of the real top 10 games of 2015 we have Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as #1.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

My experience with Undertale is a bitter one. I ended up playing it, but only after the needless insisting of "If you're a fan of RPGS you NEED to play it". So I play it and within the first minute it's like "Oh, but wait, don't actually play it like an RPG. Don't actually fight and kill enemies and level up, don't grind for gold and buy stuff, etc, this isn't an RPG". I suddenly remembered why I don't bother with indie games or fandoms. Also as a general rule, anytime an indie game is toted as being revolutionary and unique, and then I can instantly cite a laundry list of games that it clearly is referencing and borrowing from, I have to question if those people have played any games before the Xbox 360/PS3/Wii generation boom. We've been doing games like Undertale since 1989 with the release of Sweet Home and Mother for the NES. Possibly even earlier.

belvadere wrote:
At what point does it reference Illusion of Gaia? And does anyone else think the choice of cinnamon pie is a possible reference to Lufia?

There might be more blatant references later, but snail pie was a food dish in Illusion of Gaia.

As for my game of 2015, I don't really have one. Ranked lists seem arbitrary and hard to do. I like Phantom Pain, and Heavensward, but also Xenoblade X, and all for different reasons. They're also different games so it's hard to really compare them.

If Xenoblade X doesn't come out with a sequel or at least an expansion/DLC then I'll mark some points off it for the cliffhanger, especially the new cliffhanger they introduced at the end of Yelv's affinity mission since Yelv was a DLC character that came out after the game initially in Japan. That being said. all the set-up and world building they do could make them easily establish new games set in the same world in the future after they get off Mira.

If I'm going off which game I played the most this year, then I suppose it would be Heavensward. Though MMO games naturally get played more than other games.

-Stuart Smith
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Undertale is supremely overrated.
What would a year-end top ten list be without the inevitable "overrated" comment?

Full-disclosure: I haven't played it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
There might be more blatant references later, but snail pie was a food dish in Illusion of Gaia.

Ah snail pie, the "awkward" conversation food item in IoG. How I remember Will's Aunt Lola always cooking the strangest things. XD

Thanks for answering my question. : )
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Undertale at #1 and Heavensward on the list. All is right with the world.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
It drives me crazy that people keep forgetting that this isn't the first prequel game that they've done. Heck, the first sequel game wasn't even a year before the first prequel game, so both prequels and sequels have about the same history in the franchise.

Tales of Symphonia is a prequel to Tales of Phantasia. Having played Phantasia, you will pick up on bonuses while playing Symphonia that you wouldn't have, if you hadn't played it.

There's nothing to suggest that Berseria and Zestiria will be anything different from Symphonia and Phantasia. This isn't a "takes place a few years before/after" thing. The most connection to Zestiria we're likely to get is going to be references to "historical" places and bloodlines.
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
i hadn't even heard of Undertale until just recently. i frequent gamefaqs regularly, and they were holding a series of "Best Game Ever" polls. some old school looking game i'd never heard of was climbing the ranks. figured it was just some older little game with a hardcore nostalgic fanbase. little did i know it was the latest indie craze. it thrashed everything to take top spot. it even beat Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for "Best Game Ever"... Confused

I'm not expecting Xenoblade Chronicles X to get as much attention as it deserves for GotY awards from the various gaming sites, since it seems a decent number of folks hate on Nintendo and/or JRPGs in general Razz but by god that world is gorgeous Very Happy

also time to start looking forward to next years' games! can't wait for Fire Emblem: Fates, Bravely Second, and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir!
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
This is my opinion on Undertale summed up:
- No it is not revolutionary, and it doesn't try to be (it's just the fandom making it out that way). It does however do some uncommon things, like how the whole game's plot is meta or it's use of bullet hell style gaming.
- It's not a perfect game, nothing is, but it is very well put together. Everything feels conclusive and thought out. The music fits with the aesthetic and is indeed very good. The gameplay is varied, creative and always changing.
- This game won't be liked by everyone, but what's so amazing about it is that it has an incredible potential to be punch-in-the-gut good for a fair amount of people who play it. It's comedy, characters, message and emotional twists have their own childlike yet clever special flair/personality, and if you're lucky it might just be your thing.

In short, it's a game made for a niche audience. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean that the reviewer was wrong in loving it.

Also "overratedness" isn't critique to a game itself, but to the fandom. Try to keep that in mind.

Last edited by CeaseActivity on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:52 am; edited 7 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
CHAOS;CHILD,Ryu ga Gotoku 0.
I was blessed with the games of a splendid sequel this year.Tokyo Xanadu was disappointing other than the character of the wirepuller.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4