• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eyeshield 21 Football Manga Ends in Japan After 7 Years

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:44 am Reply with quote
And the authors will come to Taiwan this August (I sort of guessed correctly that the manga was about to end when i know the two would be coming, as Shonen Jump has an extremely tight schedule). Questions for the authors are welcomed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
geishageek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
i am saddened but delighted all at the same time. i love eyeshield 21 and am sad to see it end, but i am also hoping that these two go on to create another wonderful story together. also wish that someone out there would release the anime in box set format (probably not going to happen but one can dream)
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote
I knew it was gonna happen, too, because I doubt there's anything left after the X-Mas Bowl. Anyway, I can't wait to finish it, and I'm glad the pair didn't drag out the series beyond what was realistic, like other shonen writers. The world of manga's gonna be a little more generic with Inagaki and Murata on break.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the memories. I'm a big fan of Murata-san's art and its sad to see it end. But you definitely got the feeling that the end was near once the Christmas Bowl arc ended. Although it felt a bit rushed, the last arc of ES21 was a great one. I look forward to their next project.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
Aw, man. I only started this series about a month ago and it's turning into a favorite of mine. At least now I know how long the good times will last.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ucdawg12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
anyone know if maybe it was actually cancelled? the popularity polls show in 16th place (of 19) in the last issue and it looks like its been hanging down there for a while. would be a shame if this is why its ending

polls:
http://members15.tsukaeru.net/hamada/jump/2009/jump0927.html
skafreak51

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it was canceled. I'm almost certain it was meant to end at this point.

It really saddens me, this is my favorite manga ever, but really it will span 37 volumes when all is done and that's really quite good for a sports series.

Hopefully the creators will bring us something else just as amazing.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Last week I read the final chapter and I was happy how the series ended. This is a really fun series to read and the characters really were original.

Honestly, this is one of the best sports manga I've ever read. It had everything (except romance, which is a great thing) and almost every chapter was thriling to read.

Thanks for the great memories, I'll miss reading this, but at least the series ended well.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Here's to the end of a great ride, then. I love Eyeshield 21; I've never seen anything so adrenaline-pumpingly exciting outside of a giant robot series. And I hate football!

I've still got a while until the end, though; I'm still only at volume 24 (out of 26 available here? Has Viz slowed down its releases for this series?)
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Who wants to bet about a year later, Inagaki and Murata will pull a Prince of Tennis and make a sequel series to ES21 in Monthy Jump Square or whatever it's called and they'll name it "New Eyeshield 21".

Myaow wrote:
Here's to the end of a great ride, then. I love Eyeshield 21; I've never seen anything so adrenaline-pumpingly exciting outside of a giant robot series. And I hate football!

I've still got a while until the end, though; I'm still only at volume 24 (out of 26 available here? Has Viz slowed down its releases for this series?)

No, Viz is still releasing the manga bimonthly and will hopefully continue to do so until volume 37 comes out in April of 2012.
The26Scarecrow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I kinda knew Eyeshield 21 was nearing the end after the Christmas Bowl, too. I mean what else could they have done?

But I was still surprised that it was the last chapter because I'd just started reading the series this year, so I still felt like it was new to me. It was all so sudden. Eyeshield 21 easily and quickly became one of my favorite series, so it's a little heartbreaking to know that it's over. But, overall, I thought the ending left us in a good place.
sooocute

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I was about to collect this series soon so it's good to know that it already ended but at same time, it's sad 'cause it's really fun to read. =)
ankoku22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Alex_Strife wrote:
No, Viz is still releasing the manga bimonthly and will hopefully continue to do so until volume 37 comes out in April of 2012.

Hmm... it'd be out in April 2011.

It's a shame to see it end, but at least it ended without wearing out its welcome. Too many shonen series drag on for much longer than they should and I'm glad Eyeshield 21 didn't fall into that trap, in my opinion. Great characters, artwork that explodes off the page, and a ton of humor... it was a great ride from start to finish. I look forward to Inagaki and Murata's next work. ^^
japsh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
i hope they make a sequel about the Rice-Bowl... i want to watch the hiruma VS ryokan VS musashi battle... Very Happy i also want to see how the other players improved... Very Happy
Yuukisena

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad because I was so excited to their new technique monta and sena.......its a heating battle...the last part was already climax and its getting more exciting....I still want to see sena being choose as Tokyo mvp and monta as top 4 best receivers.......its shouldn't have been stop....it had been stopped because there someone said to the author that it needs to be stopped because the game is always repeating and its getting tired to watch it like ojo vs deimon its long episodes right in their battle....that's why its kinda boring......I wish they still let eyeshield 21 end...because there is still fans waiting to watch it........so sad......[/img]
Quote:
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2