• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dark Horse Manga Hardcovers

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Hello all! I've been buying up the Trigun singles, and one of the things I really dug was how the first two volumes got the hardcover treatment.

Hellsing also got the same, but for the first four volumes. In case I find a series I want to collect in the future, I think it'd be awesome to know if Dark Horse released any other series in hardcovers.

For the record, all of the above were exclusive to Barnes & Noble, but they're very very easy to find online.

Thanks!
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow. A whole week waiting for no reply?

Thanks for nothing.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Percival King wrote:
Wow. A whole week waiting for no reply?

Thanks for nothing.

It was the week before Christmas, traffic has been light. It is entirely possible that no one who read your post has any information to provide you. All I could have said in response it that I don't know the answer. I don't think I've ever seen a Dark Horse hardcover, B&N or otherwise. I assume you would be upset if you got ten answers to that effect.

We are all fans here. There is no all knowing individual monitoring all the forums to provide answers. Your tone is not likely to get others to answer your question.
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I assume you would be upset if you got ten answers to that effect.

Even bothering to say something like that I consider to be a small kindness.

And as to your unknowingness, I wanted to look up a bunch of pictures of them, but even those are surprisingly hard to find. I guess I can't really blame people for not knowing about these since I only recently discovered them. In any case, I snapped a few photos of mine:

Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
Ah! Now this makes more sense.

Barnes & Noble are, in a small way, a publisher themselves. Most of what they publish is public domain though. In this case, looking at your photos I don't see a Dark Horse logo anywhere. I strongly suspect that B&N simply obtained a secondary license from Dark Horse and printed these themselves.

The two volumes they did of Trigun are technically the entire series. At that point the author changed magazines (and possibly publishers) and started the series over as Trigun Maximum. It is a natural break point.

This seems to be solely a B&N thing. They maintain their own web site http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ if you go there and search for manga you will likely uncover all that are available.

Edit: If you type "manga" in the search bar and select, you get all manga. Then come down the left side to "formats" and select hardcover and you get 374 results from all publishers. More than I expected.
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, but...I'm not so sure that's a reliable way to search. At least 70% of those were bogus listings by marketplace sellers. Like this for example:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/naruto-box-set-volumes-1-27-viz-media/1014890594?ean=9781421519807

That is most definitely a paperback collection, yet it's listed under hardcovers.

Then there are a bunch of random ones that don't even make sense, like random volumes of various SJ manga. And lastly, they didn't even show all results that I know exist - like Hellsing for example. They only list the first two volumes, when the first four were actually in hardcovers.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
As with any online retailer, you have to shop carefully. I think I would have skipped any "Market Place" listings as soon as they were identified as such.

My basic point is that if you are looking for titles published by Barnes &Noble, their web site is the place to look. If they are not listing all the titles you know of it is possible they are no longer available (or are not coded correctly). If the two titles you know of are all that show up, that may be all they did.

If you are looking for hardcover manga in general, Yen Press has done several titles, Fantagraphics at least one, Kodansha has a title in hardcover and I think the old Viz Big titles were also, though they may not be in print. You may want to check out the manga forum for other titles. I don't know if anyone has actually tried to list all hardcover manga in English though.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Percival King wrote:
Thanks, but...I'm not so sure that's a reliable way to search. At least 70% of those were bogus listings by marketplace sellers. Like this for example:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/naruto-box-set-volumes-1-27-viz-media/1014890594?ean=9781421519807

That is most definitely a paperback collection, yet it's listed under hardcovers.

It could be listed as a hardcover because of the artbox that contains all 27 books. At least, that's my thought process about it.

That being said... I know my husband has those exact two books and I think they are amazing quality. I can't recall any other Dark Horse series that does hardcover releases, however. I do know that other publishers that release hardcover manga and light novels, although most that I've seen are published by Yen Press.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
A quick search for "hardcover" on Dark Horse's website reveals 0 manga, even if you search the entire span of releases.
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
A quick search for "hardcover" on Dark Horse's website reveals 0 manga, even if you search the entire span of releases.

They were Barnes & Noble exclusives. I didn't even know they existed until recently, so I doubt any special press releases were sent out about them. If they even do that sort of thing.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Dark Horse hasn't published much manga in hardcover (at least to my knowledge). But if you are looking for hardcover:

Fantagraphics release of Wandering Son (though it seems some volumes are out of print)

Kodansha's Vinland Saga (which is awesome!)

Vertical's Gundam the Origin (seriously one of the nicest english manga productions ever)

Some of Vertical's Tezuka releases: Ayako, MW, Book of Human Insects, Message to Adolf, Black Jack, Buddha (though some of these are out of print as well, at least in hardcover form)

Yen Press: A Bride's Story, Emma, Highschool of the Dead omnibus

I'm less familiar with Viz and their history of hardcover release, but I know the new JoJo books are, as well as some of their Junji Ito releases.

Hope this helps.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Stan Sakai's 47 Ronin is a hardback publication by Dark Horse and is quite good. I don't know of any others though, most hardback manga I know of is through Vertical.
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Thanks guys. Smile I actually knew about Vinland Saga, and it was on my to-do list - but it seems like Kondansha is struggling to find a readership for it.

As for 47 Ronin, will look into it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1