• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
Just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. An Ebay seller has a copy of Paranoia Agent v.4 (sealed) on sale "Buy it Now" for $59. Combining it with other BiN sales I could probably reclaim that lost series for under $100. But whenever I consider buying that voice always comes back- "Moron! Some company will obviously eventually pick it up!"

I'm pretty sure I originally got it for $20 as four volumes out of a 10 for $50 closeout Rightstuff sale many years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
Possible titles of interest right now for me depending on money situation are Chaika the Coffin Princess, Ghost in the Shell Arise, Aura and Library Wars. Maybe Yuki Yuna is a Hero as well, but it is rather hard to justify paying over $200 for what is only a 12-episode series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lalalei2001

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm really trying hard to find a copy of Magic Knight Rayearth Season 2 from the 2010 rereleases. I know Discotek is going to rerelease the whole series in one set, but I already have Season 1 of the 2010 remasters, so I'm conflicted as to what to look for.

(And I'm also impatient.)
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's worth double dipping for the new release of Hana Yori Dango? Is the quality much improved in some way?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
Excellent question. I'm curious too, although I have no intention of double dipping. Last summer I picked up the 12 original volumes still in their shrink wrap for a decent price ($100 CAD) and then found out a little while later that Eastern Star had rescued the title and I could get the new release much cheaper. I wasn't that bummed out, though, because as a collector, I like the idea of having the originals. I am curious though what anybody who is in a position to compare the two, thinks. The new set has literally just come out, so it'll probably be a while to get a reply.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
While I normally pick up newer, less space taking versions, I will not be able to help you here. I bought the first single of Hana Yori Dango back when it came out and hated it. I gave it away a long time ago.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to both of you reliables!
I also like owning the originals, but as HYD is one of my very favourite anime I'm just very curious, and not averse to owning two copies if I see a good reason! Maybe reviews will shed light. If there are reviews...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
We can make a few educated guesses about the differences. First, the original release spread 51 episodes over 12 discs, while the re-release has the 51 episodes plus the half hour movie over 7 discs. That probably means a drop in visual quality but I'm not sure that I, for example, would notice the difference. I don't know for a fact, but I would be surprised if the DVD extras on the originals have been retained. That will be interesting to find out.

The new release does include the movie as noted above which I don't believe has ever been released in any other format in NA.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

Since you mentioned visual quality ... You once speculated about how much difference there would be between an old standard definition show on a player with upscaling and in a Bluray version. A couple of weeks back we got news about a new Tenchi Muyo! OVA coming out. This prompted me to get out the first three OVA series. The first two were on Bluray and looked fabulous, bright, sharp and clear. Then I put in the third OVA. It was so fuzzy I couldn't watch it. I tried it both on my DVD changer and on the Bluray player, both with upscaling. No difference.

I don't usually have any problem watching shows on DVD. I think it was the complete contrast with the same characters that made it impossible to watch the third series. I'll probably be able to watch it later.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
@ Alan45: Interesting. I suspect that such differences have a lot to do with individual titles and the equipment being used. I still marvel how magnificent my Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust DVD looked put through my BD player and on my plasma TV.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
This black friday is absolutely #recking me

I need a new HDR TV, a new PS4 pro, a new PSVR
time to upgrade the home and business networks
and i need new home theater speakers
and all these japanese anime figures coming out all 100$ a pop

then we got the yearly anime sales im hoping to score big, I have a huge backlog of terrible anime titles to buy that have been coming out the past two years

and lots of limited editions just out or coming, suzumiya haruhi, chunibyo 2nd
and I may buy the japanese love live sunshine blu-rays
and I need a new graphic card since my expensive one doesnt support HDMI 2.0 for some reason

and I want to buy some new gundams but I dont know if I want to have a guy in china build them since I dont have time to do the panel line markings

as for anime what I hope to get next week
to love ru darkness 2nd
complete rest of fairy tail collection
show by rock
yurikuma
code geass collection
infinite stratos 2nd collection
kinmoza 2nd

why isnt the girls und panzer movie out yet?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, that's quite the shopping list, potatochobit. Time to start sucking up to Santa!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Whoa, that's quite the shopping list, potatochobit. Time to start sucking up to Santa!

Or casing the local bank for a robbery.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Sucking up or sucking off?

*High fives self* Oooh yeah, still as banal as ever!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
willag ... did ... did ... you just reference performing an act of oral copulation AND Santa Claus in the same sentence???

OH MY VIRGIN EYES!!!

Well, enjoy your lump of coal this year, you naughty girl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 123 of 132