• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
Holy crap he lives! That's like the third hypothetical bullet he dodge, he has like plot armor that protect him from the plot itself!
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Ep 15
Kudelia, or to be exact the martyrdom version of Kudelia has been intended as a key point in the series.
Whoever has been pulling the strings has wanted her dead, not because she has any real power, but because her death in the right context would allow those in control of Gjallahorn to act much more openly as to "ensure peace".

As for the episode, this cements the deal that Atra is a great character and certainly has a worthy amount of inner strength.
As for Biscuit's older brother he is simply a nodding yes man even if he thinks he is trying to help "his people" it is simply selling them out in a different fashion, yet from his perspective marshal law is preferable to being literally crushed by a mobile suit's foot so throwing a young ladies life away that he doesn't know personally would certainly be worth the lives of a few thousand dock workers.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 16:

That was predictable but still emotional to see tbh.

I think Fumitan's decision to sacrifice herself was because it reminded her of a reflecting image of her own past. Aina was literally talking to a dead body at the end there after Fumitan got shot

I hope she'll be able to get over this somehow but it won't be easy. Looks like next episode will be pretty exciting with action.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 17:

Pretty good action this week.

Lol, "Gali Gali". The irony about Gjallarhorn is actually amusing in a way. I'm curious how the other colonies will respond to Aina next time. Should be interesting to see. About time she makes a huge impact though. I guess in some way, she still feels responsible for a lot of things in this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 18:

Lol Mika isn't afraid of anything, not even that mysterious Chocolate Man. I'm actually surprised at how casually that conversation went.

Good for Aina as she uses words rather than just violence to survive there. The ending hit them hard knowing that Fumitan is never coming back. Never forget Anime cry
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Ep 18
This is the first time without some implying flashback that Mika was "impressed" by someone, the only others that have done so have been Orga and Atra.

Yet at the same time the characters have an idea that they are in fact in someone else's machinations, Kudelia at the same time goes down the path as she MUST do something even if it means accomplishing someone else's goals.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 19:

Great episode, tons of action and that was almost a close call for Mika.

Chocolate man and his piloting skills are also quite impressive. Carta's still a weird character imo though as a commander and we even find out a little bit about her past.

GG Ein. I think he died? Or unless I'm mistaken but it looks like he took quite a hit there. Mika gave me a little scare almost at the end but glad to see that he survived; not too surprising though.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
Ep 19
A big orbital Blockade episode, this is just action incarnate.
Even if it was light on narrative there were still moments to brush on character history and motivation.

This is the stuff that keeps us coming back to a Gundam title, big overly pompous mech fights.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 20:

Yup, a buildup episode, one that has delicious food (fish) and chilling before the big fight coming next. Earth in this series looks pretty normal as I had envisioned tbh.

I hope Aina plays a prominent role in the upcoming battle.
Really feel like she can make a difference.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:41 am Reply with quote
EP 21.

OMG this week's Gundam!!!! T_____T It's been a while since an anime has literally gotten me teary.

For them to use Orphans no Namida this week is just cruel. AHHHHH!!!!!
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 21:

One of my favorite characters in this series, gone...although not surprising, I'm still sad to see it. I wonder how Biscuit's siblings will get over this because it's something that they'll never forget.

Great action though, loved the mecha fighting involving Carta's forces.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Ep 21
So Mikazuki went full on Yandere mode when Carta tried her luck in taking down Orga.

spoiler[Until there is a funeral, I am not completely convinced Biscuit is dead yet.]
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Ep 21
So Mikazuki went full on Yandere mode when Carta tried her luck in taking down Orga.

spoiler[Until there is a funeral, I am not completely convinced Biscuit is dead yet.]

spoiler[ I accidentally gave myself false hope by thinking that it was Biscuit in the healing pod and not Ein, but nope, Biscuit got bodybagged. and I don't reckon he's coming back. I'm not happy that they killed off one of my fave chars in the show currently, but I guess that's the way...the cookie crumbles.]
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Ep 21

The foreshadowing in this episode was obvious, but I was still spoiler[sad to see Biscuit die. Seeing the sisters in the beginning and the comments that were made, like 'you'll still have many chances to do that']. Obviously not, unfortunately.

I liked this episode, but I can't help but wonder what comes next (apart from more tragedy, I fear), because I feel this show (purposely?) lost its focus slowly along the way. In the beginning, the focuses were on a. get independent b. get off Mars and c. go to Earth. All pretty uncomplicated concepts, though the show already started to feel uneven at point c, somehow. However, nobody in the series questioned what would happen afterwards... except for Kudelia doing her 'thing' on Earth. I had hoped for more background info and character insights on Orga or people like Eugene. They do get their spotlight from time to time and Kudelia is rightfully an important character - but she's not my favorite (and neither is the chef girl).
As a villain, Carta (that was weirdbrow's name, right?) failed to entertain me. She had one background scene that made her slightly better, but all in all she's neither deliciously evil and doesn't have a motive of any kind we can sympathize with. Only her wish to be revered as one of the strong ones. Well that failed and isn't anything new and more importantly: it wasn't interesting at all.

The other thing I liked at the beginning, was how easy it was to root for these orphan kids that'd had a tough past, but they don't really play with that angle anymore. We don't see anything of their pasts, save for Biscuits'. Masked guy is an obligatory thing in Gundam universe, but he just conveniently plays the card of 'if you're in trouble and need anything, call me - until at one point I'll hilariously abandon you and fight you HAR HAR'

I loved that they used Orphans no Namida again at the end. It's one of the strongest ED's I know. Not just because of the singer's powerful voice and how it suits the show, but it so neatly blends in with the episodes. You almost don't notice its beginning, but it plays along nicely with the content's emotional scenes. There have probably been many songs that are better standalone pieces than this one (though I really love this song), but Orphans no Namida is really a song that functions as an ED.

Best moment this episode was when Carta's group set up in an obligatory dramatic pose (almost Ginyu Force like) and Tekkadan just went like 'don't care, won't wait' *damages one of the left armors*.
Okay, that was a pretty good Carta moment. She was almost entirely uninteresting then Wink.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 22:

Oh man, the pain and sorrow of this show...

Seriously feel bad for Biscuit now. I mean, considering his recent loss as well. I can't even imagine how Orga felt since he's the last guy to see him alive. Life is too fragile in this series

I kinda like how Aina is taking on a more strategic role as well. Really curious to see if her plan succeeds. Also, Orga's speech looks like he's hyping up the troops. Can't wait for the counterattack. Gjallarhorn, they better watch out. I hope Orga's forces succeeds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13