• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (TV)

Genres: action, drama, fantasy
Themes: steampunk

Plot Summary: On the island country Hinomoto, humans hide themselves in fortresses called "stations" against the threat of zombie-like beings with steel hearts known as "Kabane." Only armored locomotives known as "Hayajiro" go between the stations.

Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57s944PdlEA
----------------------------------

Lol, this definitely gave me some Attack on Titan vibes. It's also by the same studio with a similar staff so expecting similar style. However, it's also a steampunk related series and that's kind of rare these days. The animation quality by Wit Studio with the soundtrack in the PV looks gorgeous though so very much looking forward to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

This was my most anticipated show of the season and I think it really made itself stand out despite similarities with SnK.

It has great action, soundtrack, and quite a bit of bloodshed. There's not much censorship either and I liked most of the voice acting.

The OP song played at the end so we'll get the ED theme song soon too. Damn, the OST really does remind me of SnK but still fairly good start so far. Out of the characters so far, Mumei is actually the one I'm most curious about with her abilities. Ikoma reminds me of some standard shounen characters and he isn't shy to get into action when needed. Good start so far. I hope it can maintain the quality despite being 12-13 episodes (from what I heard).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
A pretty good start. Although it was dumb that they thoroughly checked the train in the morning but they let the 2nd train in without a second thought at night...

Anyway I can't wait to hear the Aimer ED.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Felt like a Shameless retread of Attack on Titan... And I loved every minute of it. The old school art style was a very nice touch.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
The old school art style was a very nice touch.

Yeah, this show BLEEDS 80s era OVA animation style, this was a strong first ep and hopefully the rest of the series can keep up the pace.
xyz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
A pretty good start. Although it was dumb that they thoroughly checked the train in the morning but they let the 2nd train in without a second thought at night...

They checked the first train after it got into the gate.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
xyz wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

Yes but the train was stopped beforehand because the bridge was raised. I would assume they would do it for all trains. You know in case one of them got infiltrated by the zombies lol.
xyz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
xyz wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

Yes but the train was stopped beforehand because the bridge was raised. I would assume they would do it for all trains. You know in case one of them got infiltrated by the zombies lol.

From the announcement it seemed they would lower the bridge whenever a train was coming. The first train just happened to stop because the bridge was up when it got there. I don't know if there is actually way to check who were on the train from inside the fortress. It didn't show they sent out anyone inspecting the train.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
xyz wrote:

From the announcement it seemed they would lower the bridge whenever a train was coming. The first train just happened to stop because the bridge was up when it got there. I don't know if there is actually way to check who were on the train from inside the fortress. It didn't show they sent out anyone inspecting the train.

Even then it is pretty dumb for them to lower the bridge for every expected train. There was a watch tower near the bridge. Most of people were super paranoid about that guy being infected but then they have this major flaw with the bridge and trains.
xyz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
xyz wrote:

Even then it is pretty dumb for them to lower the bridge for every expected train. There was a watch tower near the bridge. Most of people were super paranoid about that guy being infected but then they have this major flaw with the bridge and trains.

Right. They don't give me the impression that they have things under control nor if they have an advance system in place. It's kind of like dealing with situation the best they can at the moment. Something like that. Maybe that's why they keep moving from one fortress to another once it falls.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

It is like Attack on Titan, but if it was the zombies from Dying Light being fought against with the technology in Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and in Japan.

Really one of the show to look forward to more of.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Although it was dumb that they thoroughly checked the train in the morning but they let the 2nd train in without a second thought at night...

I'm just gonna c&p what I said in the Preview thread. Smile

The first train stopped before it entered the compound because it was early (due to not having to stop at fallen stations) and the bridge wasn't down. Being driven by sane, normal human beings, it stopped and waited until they lowered the bridge. The bridge was lowered because there weren't zombies crawling all over the outside, and (less than fool-proof) checkpoints were in place to prevent any zombies that might be inside the train from escaping.

The second train was right on schedule as expected, so the bridge was already lowered (which I agree seems a lapse of security, but maybe they assumed zombies couldn't read a timetable), and by the time they saw the zombies hanging all over it, it was too late to raise it again to prevent it crashing into the compound.

This is what happens when you make your lower class minions too afraid to deviate from the script or think for themselves (as we saw when the leader pulled rank and wouldn't let them check his guests).
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I have never watched any of Attack on Titan (no reason, just never got around to it) so I don't care about any comparisons, I'm just taking this show on it's own merits. I thought the first episode was good enough to make me watch more, though I'm not ready to proclaim it as great just yet. People acting in a less-than-intelligent manner for plot convenience always bothers me; I'm not saying for sure that is what is happening here but some aspects of this episode just didn't sit that well with me. I will definitely give it a few more episodes to see how it shakes out.
xyz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Only in idealized movies do people always act intelligent. In real life, even intelligent people act dumb at times as they're ruled by emotions.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:35 am Reply with quote
xyz wrote:
Only in idealized movies do people always act intelligent. In real life, even intelligent people act dumb at times as they're ruled by emotions.

Ummmmm no good sir. It's very common for a character to act like an idiot based on the needs of the script in movies. Same could be applied here honestly. I mean with everyone as scared shitless of any possible infected getting through as the show seems so keen on displaying I can't imagine why they wouldn't always have the bridge up just to be safe. I mean at least with Attack on Titan the walls had protected them for such a long time that it makes sense for them to become complacent and screw things up security wise (that's not what happened but if it did it would make sense). But here where stations are apparently being lost very frequently I'm not going to give that kind of shit a pass personally.

Also let's look at how Attack on Titan this series ALREADY is.

Hot headed MC who talks smack to authority? Check.
Giant Walls to keep monsters out? Check

Shows daily life and then has everything go to shit so we can see death and destruction in the first episode? Check

Death of someone close to the MC very early in life? (though to be fair it was a brief flashback in this episode but it's still the same thing Razz) Check.

Has nobility not-so-nice-people who don't care about everyone else as long as they themselves are safe? Check.

Female Protagonist is clearly a badass capable of taking out anyone who proves to be a threat better than anyone else? Check (not a bad thing though)

The monsters were spoiler[actually human before turning? (titan's in AOT have humans in their necks). Check.]

The train crashing through the bridge and busting up the walls scene basically being the same thing as the armored titan smashing through the gate in AOT? Check.

MC has the key to actually defeating the monsters (spoiler[Eren's Titan form V Nail Gun).]
Check.

I mean damn. Some of those are superficial to fair but I couldn't help but feel the AOT vibe when watching this. Even the part where the zombies rise from all the wreckage of the train reminded me of the part where the colossal titan peeks over the wall at onlooking civilians. Part me of kind of likes that but the other part sees it as shameless pandering which it most certainly is. If the show can give itself a original feel with later episodes that's fine. I just have trouble believing that as of now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5