• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this episode was just too cliche, following a path that has been walked a thousand time before.

I think it would have been five bajillion time more interesting if Kudelia had actually been assassinated (can't recall any show where something similar happen). Part of that is cause I find Kudelia incredibly boring (again she's just super cliche).

Same for the Fumitan part of the story, it's just following the choreography we saw time and time again. Of course she wasn't going to really betray Kudelia and of course she get redemption in the end, no matter how forced it had to be (Kudelia miraculously being a the manifestation, and Fumitan jumping in front of the shoot right at the good moment, the net sniper just giving up for no reason).

Anyway, it wasn't all a waste, now the stage is set for the event of the second cour, hopefully it'll be more inspired.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I guess I the only one who dont feel sad with Fumitan's death?
The drama is way too forced and we already know she gonna betray Kudelia since before 2nd cour of anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16

Despite the cliches and predictability, I still enjoyed the episode. I did get an inappropriate chuckle out of how Mika dragged Kudelia out from under Fumitan like a bag of laundry though. Normally the hero rescuer would just remove Fumi and then gently pick up Kudelia in his arms to whisk her away. :D

I'm still not quite clear on whose side the old man that put Fumi up to this is on. But it was an interesting development that the head of Teiwaz wants in with him.

I wonder if Biscuit's bro will join them, now that he has no useful function within the system.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
I guess I the only one who dont feel sad with Fumitan's death?
The drama is way too forced and we already know she gonna betray Kudelia since before 2nd cour of anime.

She was a double agent that took the "quick way out" as a means of redemption, so not gonna lie I too felt little pity over the death of a character whose long term actions were trying to frame up a hit on the person she ends up sacrificing herself for.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
The triangle love is too forced, it does not feel natural.
Example : in the end when Atra hang on Mikazuki's arm...

They should stop this and pick one already, it feels like they will ruin the show.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I believe you meant Shino, not Ride. Ride's the orange-haired kid in charge of the younger orphans, and Norba Shino is the pilot of the newly-christened Ryusei-Go.
srlracing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
All I want from the next episode is an epic speech from Kudelia (that hopefully the writing and voice actress can support) set to the backdrop of an epic Gundam battle.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
It's really nice to read some articles about Gundam that not only aren't all just negative but show a clear recognition for it's history and willingness to embrace it's current state and even future. It's like holy crap somebody that comprehends the basics of the franchise and shows the patience to see out it's often complicated and sometimes slower stretches.
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
For us big Gundam mecha nerds, this episode really shows Gundam at its best. There is so much new technological stuff packed into the episode and save one scene - where the mechanic is yelling at a guy for being a dweeb - they don't try and shoehorn it in with exposition. They just let it happen fluidly and rely on the viewer to catch the stuff. If someone watching doesn't really care, it doesn't interrupt their viewing and it encourages someone like me to read between the lines and feel satisfied when they discover something new.

I'm crossing my fingers for an epic speech next week though I do hope our team gets to put down a few more Grazes for my enjoyment in the meantime.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just hope he comes up with a cool name to go with his mask like his predecessors have done.

Technically speaking, Gundam's original masked villain/hero, Char Aznable didn't come up with his most commonly used name, if Origin is considered canon. spoiler[He actually took it from a guy he went to school with that joined the Zeon Army. He may have came up with Quattro Bajeena though, though I'm not sure that qualifies as cool]. I'm not sure I would qualify Full Frontal as a cool name, which belongs more in the category of, let's say...unique Gundam character names.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thought of the "now kiss" meme when Mika was holding both girl at the same time?

I have two small quibble with this episode. One that Kudelia is somehow blaming the masked men for Fumitan death, which makes 0 sense and mostly come out as the show trying to get us to consider him as the bad guys (it's like she hasn't realize that Fumitan was part of a plot to assassinate her). And two, I just don't like speech episode, there always so forceful. I am, however, quite happy that the reason why they didn't get shoot was more political than a lame "all the soldier are too moved by the speech to shoot".
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Am I the only one who thought of the "now kiss" meme when Mika was holding both girl at the same time?

I have two small quibble with this episode. One that Kudelia is somehow blaming the masked men for Fumitan death, which makes 0 sense and mostly come out as the show trying to get us to consider him as the bad guys (it's like she hasn't realize that Fumitan was part of a plot to assassinate her). And two, I just don't like speech episode, there always so forceful. I am, however, quite happy that the reason why they didn't get shoot was more political than a lame "all the soldier are too moved by the speech to shoot".
I think she blames him in particular because if it hadn't been for him showing up at the hotel and exposing Fumitan, Fumitan wouldn't have ran off, causing Kudelia to chase her, eventually ending up in that street with the protesters, where Fumitan was shot while protecting her.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Quote:
I just hope he comes up with a cool name to go with his mask like his predecessors have done.

Technically speaking, Gundam's original masked villain/hero, Char Aznable didn't come up with his most commonly used name, if Origin is considered canon. spoiler[He actually took it from a guy he went to school with that joined the Zeon Army. He may have came up with Quattro Bajeena though, though I'm not sure that qualifies as cool]. I'm not sure I would qualify Full Frontal as a cool name, which belongs more in the category of, let's say...unique Gundam character names.

I think that story of how Char got his name dates back to the novelization. It's probably been considered canon for puite some time buy a lot of people.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Quote:

I think that story of how Char got his name dates back to the novelization. It's probably been considered canon for quite some time by a lot of people.

That was just a CYA in case some people considered Gundam the Origin non canon.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah damn good episode.

My only small nitpick is how Kudelia seems to idolize Fumitan and I'm not quite sure if the show expect us to agree with her or if it's supposed to be her deluding herself and ignoring the fact that Fumitan was in a plot to assassinate her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 47