• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: When Marnie Was There, The Boy and The Beast Shut Out of Annie Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
that's too bad

Marnie was there is a good movie .. if you are willing to sit through the whole movie
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mifune: Except that FUNi does dub most of its anime, so..

Do they screen them? Do they submit them? You are only giving on small piece ans saying "see look!" ("so...")

And I am pretty certain why Miss Hosukai was not submitted was that they didn't have a dub. It was eligible for Oscar because it won other recognized international awards (not because it was screened here, like I said it hasn't screened yet.)

And Funi's catalog is what percent feature film, which is what we have focused on due to it being relevant to the article. Television productions are a completely different ball of wax. I will ask this: which single episode out of shows that have aired on a U.S. network (or already won a qualifying award in the case of the Oscars) do you think could win?

That right there may help explain why the U.S. television networks are dominated by sitcom and otherwise stand alone stories. I personally find it rather rare that anime gives us a cogent episode that is award worthy; Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū did this season, but it would still have to air on a U.S. network and be submitted.

And this is compounded with the fact, when it comes to the Oscars, that many of the members don't even watch the animated shorts at all. Stating such things as "who has time for that?" or just "didn't watch, I abstain."-- but let's look at the nominations out of the 60 shorts submitted-- Bear Story (Chile), Prologue (U.S.), Sanjay's Super Team (U.S.), We Can't Live without Cosmos (Russia) and World of Tomorrow (U.S.)

Now, yes seems a bit biased towards the U.S. but why don't we take a closer look at those American productions, shall we? First off, World of Tomorrow has won an astonishing 41 awards elsewhere. I don't think there should be any argument that this is a quality work with that kind of record.

Prologue is by "animation legend Richard Williams" (as Cartoon Brew describes him) and if you have seen any of this, you may understand why this was nominated. (and he himself is Canadian–British) At any rate, he is somewhat like the equivalent of Miyazaki or Takahata in the west. More know by the younger generations for Who Framed Rodger Rabbit but the older gens may associate him with the Pink Panther movies.

And finally Sanjay's Super Team which is a Pixar/Disney and we all know about Disney's production capital. Even if we hate the stories or don't care for artistic style (such as the Pillsbury Dough Boy being cast for Big Hero 6), one has to admit that they have the budget and the capital to produce technically beautiful works. But who wrote the story and what is it about? "Inspired by Sanjay Patel's (who grew up in San Bernardino, CA of immigrant parents) own childhood when he felt conflicted by the modern world and the Hindu traditions of his family, Sanjay's Super Team follows the daydream of a young Indian boy, bored with his father's religious meditation, who imagines Hindu gods as superheroes."(wiki) Not your typical Anglo-American Oscar nominee-- though I have not seen this work and doubtless it falls under Disney's strict guidelines of "quality".

At any rate, I still think you are missing the point of what I was saying. If you want an awards ceremony that is truly international, where those who vote actually understand animation and the awards they give actually have meaning, then look to Annecy. Even Ottowa is better than the U.S. counterparts.

But I don't think that is your issue really, it isn't about what is quality animation internationally but that it isn't "anime" (Japanese) which is exactly the mentality that created the Hollywood bias in American film. It is a win by "nationalism", but that gets into politics so I will stop here...
Sergio-san

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Go Mifune wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Mifune: Except that FUNi does dub most of its anime, so..

Do they screen them? Do they submit them? You are only giving on small piece ans saying "see look!" ("so...")

And I am pretty certain why Miss Hosukai was not submitted was that they didn't have a dub. It was eligible for Oscar because it won other recognized international awards (not because it was screened here, like I said it hasn't screened yet.)

And Funi's catalog is what percent feature film, which is what we have focused on due to it being relevant to the article. Television productions are a completely different ball of wax. I will ask this: which single episode out of shows that have aired on a U.S. network (or already won a qualifying award in the case of the Oscars) do you think could win?

That right there may help explain why the U.S. television networks are dominated by sitcom and otherwise stand alone stories. I personally find it rather rare that anime gives us a cogent episode that is award worthy; Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū did this season, but it would still have to air on a U.S. network and be submitted.

And this is compounded with the fact, when it comes to the Oscars, that many of the members don't even watch the animated shorts at all. Stating such things as "who has time for that?" or just "didn't watch, I abstain."-- but let's look at the nominations out of the 60 shorts submitted-- Bear Story (Chile), Prologue (U.S.), Sanjay's Super Team (U.S.), We Can't Live without Cosmos (Russia) and World of Tomorrow (U.S.)

Now, yes seems a bit biased towards the U.S. but why don't we take a closer look at those American productions, shall we? First off, World of Tomorrow has won an astonishing 41 awards elsewhere. I don't think there should be any argument that this is a quality work with that kind of record.

Prologue is by "animation legend Richard Williams" (as Cartoon Brew describes him) and if you have seen any of this, you may understand why this was nominated. (and he himself is Canadian–British) At any rate, he is somewhat like the equivalent of Miyazaki or Takahata in the west. More know by the younger generations for Who Framed Rodger Rabbit but the older gens may associate him with the Pink Panther movies.

And finally Sanjay's Super Team which is a Pixar/Disney and we all know about Disney's production capital. Even if we hate the stories or don't care for artistic style (such as the Pillsbury Dough Boy being cast for Big Hero 6), one has to admit that they have the budget and the capital to produce technically beautiful works. But who wrote the story and what is it about? "Inspired by Sanjay Patel's (who grew up in San Bernardino, CA of immigrant parents) own childhood when he felt conflicted by the modern world and the Hindu traditions of his family, Sanjay's Super Team follows the daydream of a young Indian boy, bored with his father's religious meditation, who imagines Hindu gods as superheroes."(wiki) Not your typical Anglo-American Oscar nominee-- though I have not seen this work and doubtless it falls under Disney's strict guidelines of "quality".

At any rate, I still think you are missing the point of what I was saying. If you want an awards ceremony that is truly international, where those who vote actually understand animation and the awards they give actually have meaning, then look to Annecy. Even Ottowa is better than the U.S. counterparts.

But I don't think that is your issue really, it isn't about what is quality animation internationally but that it isn't "anime" (Japanese) which is exactly the mentality that created the Hollywood bias in American film. It is a win by "nationalism", but that gets into politics so I will stop here...

When you say you find it "rare" that anime gives us a cogent episode that is award worthy do you mean shows that are episodic only or in general? Because I think just like anime gives us at least 5 really good series per year it also gives us episodes that are noteworthy.
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Sergio-san wrote:
When you say you find it "rare" that anime gives us a cogent episode that is award worthy do you mean shows that are episodic only or in general? Because I think just like anime gives us at least 5 really good series per year it also gives us episodes that are noteworthy.

"noteworthy" =/= "award worthy"

And yeah, I mean any type. episode spanning stories have the difficulty of leaving the audience lost by not understanding the larger story and episodic tend to be pared down by cultural references, particularly comedies. A comedy (sitcom) that relies on cultural reference (even such where it is sub-culture, like Joshiraku) will leave the audience blankly staring.

So are you implying that there are a great number of TV broadcast anime episodes that have:
excellent animation production from beginning to end
excellent writing from beginning to end
(which implies if it is a multi-episode story, that the episode has an message that is encapsulated in it that has a satisfactory ending and not reliant on future episodes.)
Is easily understandable to foreign audiences.
Is dubbed so that:
Is aired on a U.S. network (or receives an acceptable award elsewhere)
Is submitted for nomination.

The only one I can think of in recent memory is Shouwa and it was a double episode.

And I think you will find, if you actually research, that by far most anything you think of was never submitted. Complaining about someone not winning a race they never entered is meaningless.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I think the idea is that, since most anime are serial, while there are some very good episodes, they are usually not standalone and require knowledge of what happened in previous episodes. This is important, as voters are likely to not have ever seen a particular series before (even western animation is like this, unless it's a huge cultural force like The Simpsons, and if it's anime, it's completely out of the question), and it'd be ludicrous and unreasonable to send an FYC package containing the entire series up to that point just so they can nominate that one episode. That's too time-consuming.

For a serial, the only episode that can be sent without losing new viewers, unless it's a one-off short story independent of anything else, is the pilot episode (and sometimes, they ARE sent in FYC packages), but pilot episodes in anime tend not to stand on their own, more commonly used to introduce the premise and the protagonist.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Go Mifune:
Quote:
Do they screen them? Do they submit them?

They did in this case. There was even an ad in Awards Daily for it.

Quote:
And I am pretty certain why Miss Hosukai was not submitted was that they didn't have a dub.

That's not why it was not submitted. It wouldn't be worth it, even if they did spring for a dub. You want the real truth? The Academy votes on arthouse films the way Hollywood casts movies with Asian and black characters: with emphasis on as many white people as possible in them. That's why British period pieces get in all the time, but nothing from Kurosawa ever won. And the voters hate anime so much, that even when the film does take the time to include white and/or European characters in it, they snub it. [*Cough* Giovanni's Island *Cough*] But a godawful rapey puppet comedy with an offensive geisha sex toy is picked in a heartbeat, because they like laughing at those wacky yellow people-like in Lost in Translation or Breakfast at Tiffany's. So that's how they think.

Quote:
First off, World of Tomorrow has won an astonishing 41 awards elsewhere. I don't think there should be any argument that this is a quality work with that kind of record.

That's fine, but Otomo's got his own share of awards, too. And yet nothing submitted by him ever got in, including the Combustible segment of Short Peace.

Quote:
And finally Sanjay's Super Team which is a Pixar/Disney and we all know about Disney's production capital. Even if we hate the stories or don't care for artistic style (such as the Pillsbury Dough Boy being cast for Big Hero 6), one has to admit that they have the budget and the capital to produce technically beautiful works.

It got in because it had Disney/Pixar money, and is a McDonald's version of Indian culture. But try bringing in something more traditional, and seeing how far it goes.
Sergio-san

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Go Mifune wrote:
Sergio-san wrote:

"noteworthy" =/= "award worthy"

And yeah, I mean any type. episode spanning stories have the difficulty of leaving the audience lost by not understanding the larger story and episodic tend to be pared down by cultural references, particularly comedies. A comedy (sitcom) that relies on cultural reference (even such where it is sub-culture, like Joshiraku) will leave the audience blankly staring.

So are you implying that there are a great number of TV broadcast anime episodes that have:
excellent animation production from beginning to end
excellent writing from beginning to end
(which implies if it is a multi-episode story, that the episode has an message that is encapsulated in it that has a satisfactory ending and not reliant on future episodes.)
Is easily understandable to foreign audiences.
Is dubbed so that:
Is aired on a U.S. network (or receives an acceptable award elsewhere)
Is submitted for nomination.

The only one I can think of in recent memory is Shouwa and it was a double episode.

And I think you will find, if you actually research, that by far most anything you think of was never submitted. Complaining about someone not winning a race they never entered is meaningless.

I complained about Marnie, I wasn´t complaining about these episodes not winning anything when I asked you, I just wanted to know your opinon. I said that we get some really good ones that are noteworthy in my opinion. I know they don't have all of those requirements but in my opinion episodes from Mushishi or Space Dandy can at least meet the first two conditions. Also, you're right, not all movies were submitted. I should have rearched about that.
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I think the idea is that, since most anime are serial, while there are some very good episodes, they are usually not standalone and require knowledge of what happened in previous episodes.

Exactly. And comedies are generally imbued with a good deal of cultural references, even in the same language there can be issues, i.e. British "dry humor". Or the humor is sexual in nature or fanservice and that just won't fly at most awards ceremonies, not just the U.S. ones.

And the serial nature of anime is what I love about it.

Sergio-san wrote:
I complained about Marnie

My "complaining about..." comment wasn't directed at you.

Sergio-san wrote:
but in my opinion episodes from Mushishi or Space Dandy

I don't know about Space Dandy because I dropped it after about the 5th episode, though I am a little skeptical about the fanservice and sexism in it being acceptable to award judges, even if "Jugs" (I think that is what it was) is an obvious poke at Hooters. -- don't forget that one of the problems with U.S. awards are that they think that animation is "for kids".

But Mushishi I think had some episodes that could pull it off. Unfortunately, the Next Chapter(s) didn't win any awards nor was it aired here. If Cartoon Network would air something other than Shonen action series, maybe some could get submitted.

I mean really, those are the hurtles, screening (or airing) and submitting. But seriously, in case you have not figured this out yet, Spirited Away won because Disney screened it nationwide. I actually live near a city which has a week long animation festival. When they announced the cities for Kizumonogatari it was not on the list, it still isn't but they did add one across the river in our sister city.

I am seriously wanting them to screen all the Project Itoh movies here, but I am not too hopeful and even if they do it may be only in 10 cities or something. This lack of screening is what ought to be complained about, if they do well then they will be submitted and have a chance.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:25 am Reply with quote
The Annies have a category specifically for animated series aimed at adults (which they refer to as "general audiences"), so they don't ignore them. Most of the nominations in the other categories, from what I've observed, however, are mostly children's shows, albeit mostly children's shows that have narrative and artistic merit for adults, like Phineas & Ferb or Samurai Jack.

For Space Dandy, it would've been very important regarding which episode was chosen. Episodes like "A Merry Companion Is a Wagon in Space, Baby," "There's Music in Darkness, Baby!," and "The Transfer Student Is Dandy, Baby!" could've worked, as they are largely free from sexual fanservice and tell a complete story without needing to understand the main characters beforehand, albeit Dandy's jailbait wait at the end of "A Merry Companion" might be offputting. Episodes like "Sometimes You Can't Live Without Dying, Baby," "A World Without Sadness, Baby," and "An Other-Dimensional Tale, Baby!" are also very good episodes but require you know what the recurring characters are like to understand them and thus would've been bad choices to submit.

As far as pilots go, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood had a pilot not in the manga created solely to introduce the main characters, the setting, and the premise, as well as hint at other events to happen later on; this would have been great to submit. If it weren't for the ridiculous amount of fanservice, albeit used parodically, Kill la Kill would've had a good pilot to submit too, due to its covering all of the necessary ground in that first episode and its extensive use of conveying energy from limited animation. There are definitely many others, but those are what come to mind right now.
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
They did in this case. There was even an ad in Awards Daily for it.

What anime and what awards ceremony- I have no idea what you are referencing.

Go Mifune wrote:
And I am pretty certain why Miss Hosukai was not submitted was that they didn't have a dub.

GATSU wrote:
That's not why it was not submitted. It wouldn't be worth it

Now you are just projecting your beliefs upon the decisions of Japanese companies. So glad you are here to tell us why the Japanese made the decisions they have made...

GATSU wrote:
You want the real truth?

And here you are trying to box me in to defending the Oscars or strangely thinking that that is what I have done so far, which is pretty odd considering that I have said repeatedly that they are worthless (particularly with reference to animation.)

GATSU wrote:
...but nothing from Kurosawa ever won.

You mean Kurosawa Akira? The one they gave an award to 5 years (1952) before they had a category for it for Rashomon? The one they awarded one to in 1976 for Dersu Uzala? The same one they nominated Ran in 4 categories and it won one? Kurosawa Akira who won an honorary Academy Award for lifetime achievement?

GATSU wrote:
And the voters hate anime so much, that even when the film does take the time to include white and/or European characters in it, they snub it.

There is a huge difference between hating something and not understanding it at all. And I am talking about animation in general here. But sure keep on giving it the credit it doesn't deserve and people will think that the Oscars for animated films actually mean something.

Which again brings me to state, if you want a meaningful award, look to Annecy. but with the way that you morphed your discussion, where I discussed 3 separate awards ceremonies, into one thing, as if the problems of the Annies are the same as the problems with the Academy Awards (they aren't).

And it is very interesting that you actually ignored my points about Annecy, entirely.

GATSU wrote:
That's fine, but Otomo's got his own share of awards, too. And yet nothing submitted by him ever got in

To which one? Remember I just said we are talking, or at least I have been, 3 different awards ceremonies (two of which are basically PR events.) But coupled with your belief that the Japanese "don't bother" to submit, try the following. Get yourself a die, better yet a set of dice; mark five sides of one U.S, one side U.K. and the other two Japan, one Canada, one Germany, one France and the other two sides "other" for numerous countries that are able to occasionally submit something. Then roll them and see "who wins" the most.

You should already know the answer to that.

Quote:
Sanjay's Super Team

GATSU wrote:
It got in because it had Disney/Pixar money, and is a McDonald's version of Indian culture.

And what did I stress.... "Disney's production capital"-- and others I should not have to point out, they are obvious in my quote. But you ignore the results that that creates, "polished" productions-- (why, because that isn't something you give a ---- about.) But actually twist it, with some pretty offensive language, to suit your uninformed position. And here is a hint, it isn't about "Indian culture"-- it is about the experience of being raised in the U.S. culture with parents who have traditional values from a different culture.

Apparently, I need to make this absolutely clear: stop giving the Oscars any credence. And take the Annies with a huge grain of salt.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Go Mifune wrote:
Apparently, I need to make this absolutely clear: stop giving the Oscars any credence. And take the Annies with a huge grain of salt.

I shall cautiously second this principle, if for no other reason than the joyful convenience with which it allows one to arrive at judgements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dcadint

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Are you kidding me. So a stick figure animation won over Ghibli's When Marnie was There. Don't get me started on Inside Out, I mean it was mildly entertaining but it really didn't do that much for me. Marnie should have taken best overall.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I now saw the winning Boy & the World. The film 100% deserved to win. 8,5/10 and the toon is a highly unique technical marvel. Dersu Uzala, dropped by Go Mifune is a must too and so is Nokan from 08 which also won an Oscar.
Space Dandy 9/10 was also a deconstruction of Ecchi so i would have actually submitted the "fan-service" episodes. They featured all sorts of things but certainly NO actual fan-service. My biggest worry would be that too few people would get what they meant. Not that the scene where a Tetsuo-esque boob monster nearly berried him was subtile or something.... Or the one where he fell in love with a "cube". Do i smell biting social commentary, or what?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
The episode where Space Dandy's love interest was a tesseract was partly based on Flatland. That's why the planet that got absorbed into the prince's dimension at the beginning of the episode was named Planet Abbot. It was named after Edwin A. Abbott, author of Flatland. Of course, Flatland itself was biting social commentary of its own time.

That episode would've been pretty neat to present though, nonetheless. It's a good standalone story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3