• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daichi Sorayomi's Keijo!!!!!!!! Aquatic Sports Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:

Hello, yes, I'll take 'Guy who has never seen Free! for 500.' After that I'll take 'Guy who did not finish reading my post after the first sentence for 1000.'

Double Jeopardy! I'll take "Guy who should not antagonize other users with undue snark".

So how about we all keep it civil. Thanks.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
It seems that Keijo could be a counterpart to Free, as they both have to do with aquatic sports. I think I might give it a watch sometime, since I'm interested in how this titular sport show will play out.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
By the way, I kind of noticed that Nozomi looks like Love Live's own Nozomi. They even share the same name.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Woa-ho, this looks like hot garbage. And this is a shounen series? Jesus, what happened to shounen?

Sad part is if this dropped the anime cheesecake angle it could actually be a pretty good fighting series. I'd pay to see and read cheesy shounen King of the Hill (the game, not the cartoon) with cute girls.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Woa-ho, this looks like hot garbage. And this is a shounen series? Jesus, what happened to shounen?

Sad part is if this dropped the anime cheesecake angle it could actually be a pretty good fighting series. I'd pay to see and read cheesy shounen King of the Hill (the game, not the cartoon) with cute girls.

I took a look out of curiousity since I like to give shit a look before judging it. Series turned out to be highly amusing.
yusuke19

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
I've read this series before, it's not really aiming towards fanservice at all. It rarely is , it's more on the "foolish-comedy" side of sports with a splash of yuri. I mean, yeah they're in baghing suits, but it's really funny. And why is everyone complaining about fanservice anyways?? Everyone is getting too serious about this. It's just comedy. And before u judge read the manga or give the anime a chance, sheesh.

Thank you
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I...like how this looks like. I really like the artwork, and the story sounds amusing. Plus, the girls look cute. I'm defiantly gonna watch this.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
I remember reading the first chapter of this a while back. It was ok. No, it isn't as 'disgusting' or 'filthy' as a lot of people are assuming. Can anyone tell me when a synopsis was ever a great source to represent a series? It's something written to give you an idea of what the series is about, but not what the entire series is about.

For comparison, let's take the synopsis of 'Free!' from ANN:

"Four boys named Haruka, Makoto, Nagisa and Rin all participated in a swimming tournament shortly before graduating elementary school and later parted ways. Years later, they reunite when Rin challenges Haruka to a race and wins. Not wanting to be defeated so easily, Haruka gathers Makoto and Nagisa and a new recruit named Rei to form the Iwatobi High School Swimming Club."

So it basically makes it out to be a generic, swimming-club series. But from what I've heard, it's much more than that. The synopsis is supposed to give you a very generic understanding of what the genre is. Perhaps it will have surprising character development and a storyline. Obviously they won't give it away in the intro summary.

So fanservice, yes. Outrageous, disgusting fanservice (from what I read), no. Always be wary about judging a book by its cover. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it misguides you.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:41 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm very certain to skip this, but it makes me sad to see so little imagination put into the actual concept and just come up with the most effortless way to tack the fanservice on top. Look at StoPri, that's also an invented sport and the rules don't require the guys to take off their shirts.

You do realize this isn't an invented sport, right? It's a thing that exists.

The joke is that in this series it's an actual sport with lots of money going around, and not just sideshow entertainment like in the real world.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:53 am Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:

You do realize this isn't an invented sport, right? It's a thing that exists.

The joke is that in this series it's an actual sport with lots of money going around, and not just sideshow entertainment like in the real world.

Could you point me to more information on the subject? When I search for Keijo (not sure if the sport has any other name, but the article implies that's the name of the sport), the only results I get are screenshots from the manga, which aren't really helpful. Even searches under the Japanese title only seem to point at the manga. I have a hard time imagining there's a real "serious" event that consists of women shoving their boobs and asses against each other. The premise of shoving people off a platform into a pool is not unheard of, it's the MO that makes it suspect and eye-roll worthy
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:10 am Reply with quote
Well, some people call all-girl mud wrestling a sport when that's clearly fanservice.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure it actually even has a proper name - not more than "girls playing tug-of-war while standing on floating platforms" does. Which is also a thing that exists.

It's not like they're "proper" or "serious" things or anything, or even actual sports for that matter. But it's most definitely not something that the mangaka came up with himself.

This actually reminds me of the time when people had no idea that ouendan is a thing, and were completely baffled by Elite Beat Agents.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
I've read a little bit on "Keijo!!!!!!!" and judging by the response to it,it looks like this is going to be pretty controversial. I agree with those who say it's "Free!" for the male set. You can be sure about this. Feminists aren't going to like this one,not one bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3