• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dagashi Kashi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
I like the 4th episode, it was funny and felt nice and calm. Not too much Fanservice but enough to get some laughs.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4: so it's come to this.

Yes, it was funny and yes, it was fun but honestly, to get down to the point, we just watched two adults play.... with a sprinkling of adult play just to throw everyone off the scent. She's tied up, she's blindfolded, she wants something long and hard in her mouth, we get it... but she may as well be 10 and he 9.

Also, four episodes in and Kokonotsu just finally noticed that 1) he's been drawing the two girls in his life and 2) Hotaru's stacked... compared to his image of her and in reality? No wonder he's not much of an artist.

I can see the humor in it but the narrative side of my mind wants character... going down the checklist of related or probable aspects... realization is the only thing this premise can support right now. Yes, she trusts him and yes, she likes him and even if she hired his father away, she will still come by and visit regularly at this point. I want Hotaru to admit to herself and Kokonotsu she's having fun and then for her to think about what that means but I don't think its premise can even support that much.

Nope, candy and gags. I don't know because these designs are a bit more detailed than what's necessary. I like the show but it's... well, a big fancy box of candy that only has a few pieces inside it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if fugashi comes in gluten free Laughing

The part where his dad walks in on him blindfolded was great.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
I liked the first part with the drug jokes, reminded me of one of those old PSAs. Second part was good too, Hotaru being a bad gambler is funny.

Broadcast dub starts next Wednesday, look forward to who's going to be in it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
I think it was a misstep to merge the 'drug' bit with the YouTube bit. As a result the drug bit fell flat since they removed the punchline: Yo going to 'rehab' was just a ruse to force Kokonotsu to run the shop for awhile.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I think it was a misstep to merge the 'drug' bit with the YouTube bit. As a result the drug bit fell flat since they removed the punchline: Yo going to 'rehab' was just a ruse to force Kokonotsu to run the shop for awhile.

I liked the way it was executed, because, for once, an anime didn't bluntly mentioned to the viewer something was both obvious, and happened before (her "sad" story about the whistling dagashi back in episode #2).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

I have a few... no, I only have one woman in mind for Hotaru. It's kind of sad, really; Five characters and four of them are of the "Well, who's available right now?" reactionary roll.

It's bad enough that I can't hear anything but Hasabe coming from To. I don't really want the same thing on the dub.

Episode 5: I watched it. I thought the funniest gag was To making actual ramen from all the scraps because I didn't think all that much as "dagashi are drugs" routine. This is America and here, it's sugar and it's a lot more drug like than anything made from it or compared to it. White powder, sold by the pound and ounce and certainly causes addiction. In comparison, that dagashi addiction is just silly and not in the funny way because I couldn't help but think they were filled with sugar.

Anyway, isn't that a choking hazard? Or is that supposed to be some sort of bonus?

The YouTube segment made me wonder about brand names in anime and why they were using that product by its real name. SONY was a phony so why keep YouTube and not use something like MeTube or PerTube? Yes, I have a problem with puns and I know I need help.

The third bit just made me wonder who was buying all the dagashi. They went through a whole case and no one thought about the cost of their actions?

On the other hand, I'm still trying to figure out where Hotaru is staying so maybe I'm thinking too much about it. She's there until late at night and back right in the morning; She's got to be renting, right? It's supposed to be the boonies.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

I have a few... no, I only have one woman in mind for Hotaru. It's kind of sad, really; Five characters and four of them are of the "Well, who's available right now?" reactionary roll.

I'm posative it'll end up being either Sarah Weidenheft or Mikelia Krantz, those two are super popular right now. Personally I would like Lindsey Sidel but if she's going to be playing the Lead in AssClass again chances of her being the lead in both when they both air during the DubbleTalk segment is slim.

Quote:
On the other hand, I'm still trying to figure out where Hotaru is staying so maybe I'm thinking too much about it. She's there until late at night and back right in the morning; She's got to be renting, right? It's supposed to be the boonies.

That's the subject of a manga chapter, don't worry it'll probably show up in the show.

If you're really that curious thought spoiler[She lives in a mansion her family owns a few blocks over.]
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The YouTube segment made me wonder about brand names in anime and why they were using that product by its real name. SONY was a phony so why keep YouTube and not use something like MeTube or PerTube? Yes, I have a problem with puns and I know I need help.
Must be a sub addition, because the actual brand name wasn't there in the original: Kokonotsu pronounced the name "yūchūbe" (the normal Japanese pronunciation of YouTube being "yūchūbu") and the logo in the scene with Hotaru and Saya said "YOUCHU-BE".
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I liked the way it was executed, because, for once, an anime didn't bluntly mentioned to the viewer something was both obvious, and happened before (her "sad" story about the whistling dagashi back in episode #2).

But that still doesn't work because Yo comes back the same night. If it cut to the next day or something that'd be different.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
I can always appreciate when a show can use its characters effectively to drive comedy, and this show is a good example. I don't laugh out loud while watching it, but that's not something I do even for very funny shows. Instead, I have found myself smiling through whole episodes of this show, because its rather funny, but in a very natural way. That's a sign of a good comedy for me.

The drug bit was very well executed, especially in the more subtle word choices.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
GeneStriker wrote:
I don't laugh out loud while watching it, but that's not something I do even for very funny shows.

Not me either, but I had an LOL moment when Saya was shown seeing the video. Then again when Kokonotsu realizes he was in it and it was posted.

This anime must be devilishly hard to review.

At the end of the day what makes it is the Hotaru character. One moment she is almost normal, the next she has lost it, and the next she is over-the-top. She is the master of the mood in the room and even Yo becomes a straight man in her presence.

One thing for sure is if I won the right to tell her to do anything I wouldn't waste it. I'm not sure what it would be but it would definitely be naughty.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote
Anyone know why this anime stopped airing since 2 weeks ago? Last updated on 6th Feb and stopped at episode 5.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Anyone know why this anime stopped airing since 2 weeks ago? Last updated on 6th Feb and stopped at episode 5.

I suspect it was due to Japan celebrating the National Foundation Day, which is a national holiday. There should be an episode this week.
irfanf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's hard to feel upset with Dagashi Kashi.

Youtube's broken Content ID and Fair Use REALLY makes anime reviewer disagree on that
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6