• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shout! Factory to Release Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir on Home Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kh_gal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I've seen most of what's out, I do find it to be disappointingly average. Things like Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, and Adventure Time have upped my standards, and this is just really bland and average. And I expect a lot more from French animation too, like Oban Star-Racers or Wakfu. I guess to be fair though, half of season 1 of Wakfu is bland kiddie fare too, so maybe this will turn around and get better too. But right now, it's just too damn formulaic for me, at least Wakfu's early eps weren't formulaic.

And Clark Kent might seriously have a more convincing disguise than Marinette. I mean, sure, the friends she doesn't hang out with too much might be fooled, but her best friend? Or her parents? And the akumatized people have better disguises much of the time, yet are recognized instantly, it baffles me. And you'd think that two people who are obsessed with each other and see each other twice a day would figure it out pretty quickly. I mean, I'm trying to suspend belief, as is needed frequently in entertainment, but damn, man!
Also, is it not fairly obvious that Hawkmoth is spoiler[Adrien's father] to anyone else? Sure, he doesn't show up for a few eps so it was impossible to know right away, but the instant he does, it seems fairly obvious. Because, like I said, no one has good disguises and the series is pretty formulaic, therefore, I am assuming I am right.

The CGI is really good though, it's closer to movie than TV CGI, so that's a good sign at least. Though some of the characters (namely, Sabrina, the friend of the mean girl) look rather creepy imo.

While I agree with everything you said, one thing to remember is that the show hasn't completely aired yet, and the creator mentioned on his twitter the development/back story episodes are coming towards the end of season 1. Seasons 2 and 3 are also confirmed for development too.spoiler[And let's not forget Volpina, semi-confirmed to be the third miraculous holder. No doubt she'll be introduced at some point to create complications.]. My guess is that the creator has the intent of fleshing out the story and characters for a longer period of time. Classics like Sailor Moon/Card Captor Sakura have used filler and "monster of the week" episodes to show characters develop. The changes over time between the relationships were subtle, but they were there. I believe that is the case with Miraculous. Hawk Moth needs some serious screen time though.

For those reasons I'm willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt. I'd give it about a B rating at the moment if I had to put a letter on it.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
@DigitalScratch

I didn't mean that I actually "liked" the character Chloe.

Oh I know- I just wanted to put in my two cents about the character. ^^U

For now I say we all just be patient with the show and see if it's willing to bend the tropes of the Magical Girl genre or just keep being a simple, enjoyable watch.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
I've been watching the show as it airs on nick and I find it to be slightly above average of course some episodes are better than others like the Valentine's Day episode where Cat Noir turns evil because of dark Cupids hate arrows and ladybug has to kiss him to break the spell I found it to be the funniest one so far. Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Okay so we finally got a publisher to release this series. That's good. Surprising this story got out faster than it took for Cyber Six to get a release.

Maybe I'll toss it on the animation list for us to pick up. I'll give it a look.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Does it have subtitles? Oh wait, it's Shout! Factory, which almost never has any subtitles on any of its DVD/BD releases (aside from the japanese Transformers). No thanks.

Personally, I don't care if a foreign kids' show has a bad dub or not, even if I am not going to watch it. The distributors could be nice enough to get a faithful subbed version. I am applying this to foreign kids' shows or foreign shows watered down for kid appeal.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Pretty cool it's getting a blu-ray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3