• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spice & Wolf Light Novel Series Gets Sequel on 10th Anniversary

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
I'm also hoping for some more anime to be announced.

Good for S&W fans though. Never read the LN before but quite interested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blackice85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:25 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

I'd love more of the anime too but I don't feel like it's likely. Did read a bit of the LN though and I enjoyed it, just never got around to getting all the volumes or the manga. I assume Yen Press will pick up the sequel too.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
I'd love for the anime to wrap up. Who knows?
partially

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The announcement features an illustration (seen right) of Holo by the novel series' illustrator Jū Ayakura, with the text "The story of Holo the Wise Wolf and the peddler Lawrence is set in motion once more!!"

The image you have is of Yen Press's Volume 1?
KamikazeJawa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:

Yeah that's the volume 1 cover, THIS is the actual image:

Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:

Given that the existing anime covered 4 (maybe 4 1/2 counting some of the side stories) out of a 17-volume series, and given the series' pacing, we'd have to be talking about a Durarara-scale 'wrapping up' - not that I'm at all opposed to S&W getting another four cours!
Tri-GuyDVD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
Well i was really hoping for S&W season 3 but i guess not Sad
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they make more Spice and Wolf Anime in the future of course they could do to S&W like what they did with Hellsing and make 10+ hour long ova episodes. Smile
aznapwned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

The author announced a while ago that there would be no anime sequels following the 2nd season unfortunately. Basically confirmed it'll never happen unless she retracts her public statement
PewPewK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:06 am Reply with quote
KamikazeJawa wrote:
partially wrote:

Yeah that's the volume 1 cover, THIS is the actual image:

Nah, that's not the new cover. That's the cover back from Dengeki February 2011 (I assume it was the preview image they used in the new announcement, but I highly doubt it's the new cover unless they're recycling art.)

aznapwned wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

The author announced a while ago that there would be no anime sequels following the 2nd season unfortunately. Basically confirmed it'll never happen unless she retracts her public statement

That's true, but if he starts writing a whole new series, an anime adaptation of that or the remaining parts of the first series isn't too out of the realm of possibility.

The creation of an anime isn't so much up to him as it is some studio desiring to pick it up. No studio would pick up the remnants of Spice & Wolf currently, but if sales were to be reinvigorated by a new novel series, it could happen. Wouldn't get hopes up though, we'll probably just get a pachinko machine instead.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
oh thats nice, i really enjoyed the day to day life of a peddler just going about his normal business trying to earn a decent living. Personally i'd have liked if there was more conflict and perhaps secret conspiracies and more deities acting aggressively but i suppose then it'd be an entirely different genere.

My only question is if this is gonna be a brand new ongoing series that picks up right where it left or is it gonna be like an extended epilogue or one last story of sort. If i recall correctly spoiler[she and lawrance were married and had a daughter ]. I suppose it could even be a prequel or an inbetween story that happens during the original novel but wan't told till now. It just feels like the story was over given the way i heard vol 17 ended.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
Given that the existing anime covered 4 (maybe 4 1/2 counting some of the side stories) out of a 17-volume series, and given the series' pacing, we'd have to be talking about a Durarara-scale 'wrapping up' - not that I'm at all opposed to S&W getting another four cours!

Well given they essentially skipped one of the novels, they are a little further ahead. I doubt they would go back and animate what they had skipped.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
A third season would also be quite welcome.
blackice85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
grooven wrote:

Yeah that's why I expressed my doubts, a lot of material left and it's been quite a while since the last season. Also I believe the order of events was changed in season 2, not sure how much that would effect overall continuity, but probably not much.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:01 am Reply with quote
blackice85 wrote:
Also I believe the order of events was changed in season 2, not sure how much that would effect overall continuity, but probably not much.

They skipped book 4 completely, they didn't change the order at all, it was never animated. They directly went from 3-5. It doesn't affect continuity at all really. There are a number of volumes in the series that you wouldn't notice if they disappeared, it is that sort of series after all. A sort of series of vignette pieces with an overarching plot that barely features in quite a few of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2