• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Star Wars: TFA Is 1st Film Since Frozen to Top 10 Billion Yen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
It's already slowing down in North America but it's great to know that Star Wars: The Force Awakens did great in Japan but sadly, it doesn't have any chance in catching up with Avatar although it does have a good chance in beating Titanic though and this film being the first non-Cameron film to make $2 billion is still not a small feat.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
A PS4 is region free, sometimes, though, the media player inside the are not.. I'm not sure if a Japanese PS4 will play, say... some US DVDs and the like. The only import that I know is NOT is the Vita stuff. Like the Vita TV; they are region locked.

There is also the whole button remapping issue. X and O will have to be remapped. Both my PSPs (I have 2; one is the Final Fantasy VII anniversary one) were imported and they were "Backwards" from my PS2 and PS3 habits. Not sure why that was changed to begin with but whatever.

So yeah, it should work no problem as far as I'm aware; I've not heard anything freaky with the PS4s.

Here it is on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Disney-Frozen-SONY-PS4-PS-PlayStation-Game-Console-Japan-Limited-Edition-JP-/141898302145?hash=item2109cc42c1:g:PeIAAOSwgQ9VjoRH

Yikes, it's $1,300? I think I'll pass on that one. I had anticipated around a grand, though not significantly over it. But thanks for the extra information.

Lycosyncer wrote:
It's already slowing down in North America but it's great to know that Star Wars: The Force Awakens did great in Japan but sadly, it doesn't have any chance in catching up with Avatar although it does have a good chance in beating Titanic though and this film being the first non-Cameron film to make $2 billion is still not a small feat.

If anyone can keep up with James Cameron in sheer box office numbers, it's J.J. Abrams, even if he's presently a rung below.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
You have to think about how popular Frozen became in Japan and how many products, including a Frozen themed PS4 came out.
...if something like this becomes popular, taking the spots over popular anime and Japanese local media then it will become just as relevant as anime and manga to this site.

You can't really compare anime to movies though. Most anime movies are tie ins to television series and meant to be watched fans of said series. Very few anime movies are stand alone features. Anime is primarily a television medium and built around the weekly episode format.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

Yikes, it's $1,300? I think I'll pass on that one. I had anticipated around a grand, though not significantly over it.

Dunno why people would pay so much for it - like most PS4 bundles, the design is just a decal and they don't even bother to change the controllers. Laughing
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:38 am Reply with quote
PS4s are region free but rare-ish region locked discs do exist. The right holders are to blame here as they occasionally try to fight imports with that technique.
I bought my PS4 for 305 Euro on Ebay more than 1,5 years ago and i could probably get one for 250-275 now if i hounded the site for a week or so. Shop Smart! Shop S-Mart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

Yikes, it's $1,300? I think I'll pass on that one. I had anticipated around a grand, though not significantly over it.

Dunno why people would pay so much for it - like most PS4 bundles, the design is just a decal and they don't even bother to change the controllers. Laughing

Yeah, if I am going to fork out 13 hundred, it better be full color and full body. This is just crap.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Congratulations to Star Wars: The Force Awakens for surpassing the 10 billion yen mark. It seems that the film is attract some serious interest from Japanese viewers, particularly considering that it has subtle Japanese influences in some way, if Darth Vader is anything to go by.

Not to mention that the beginning scene with Rei gave off a massive Nausicaa vibe. Or was that just me?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yeah, if I am going to fork out 13 hundred, it better be full color and full body. This is just crap.

Yeah, companies getting lazy with customs! Confused

Jayhosh wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Congratulations to Star Wars: The Force Awakens for surpassing the 10 billion yen mark. It seems that the film is attract some serious interest from Japanese viewers, particularly considering that it has subtle Japanese influences in some way, if Darth Vader is anything to go by.

Not to mention that the beginning scene with Rei gave off a massive Nausicaa vibe. Or was that just me?

No indigenous giant fauna sandworms (hey it's a desert) Laughing
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
A PS4 is region free, sometimes, though, the media player inside the are not.. I'm not sure if a Japanese PS4 will play, say... some US DVDs and the like. The only import that I know is NOT is the Vita stuff. Like the Vita TV; they are region locked.

There is also the whole button remapping issue. X and O will have to be remapped. Both my PSPs (I have 2; one is the Final Fantasy VII anniversary one) were imported and they were "Backwards" from my PS2 and PS3 habits. Not sure why that was changed to begin with but whatever.

So yeah, it should work no problem as far as I'm aware; I've not heard anything freaky with the PS4s.

Here it is on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Disney-Frozen-SONY-PS4-PS-PlayStation-Game-Console-Japan-Limited-Edition-JP-/141898302145?hash=item2109cc42c1:g:PeIAAOSwgQ9VjoRH

Yikes, it's $1,300? I think I'll pass on that one. I had anticipated around a grand, though not significantly over it. But thanks for the extra information.

Well it is over a year old at this point. So it's year-old limited edition so yeah, it's got the whole "collector's value" price point. I couldn't find it on Play-Asia. I checked there first. Ebay was the only place I could find the actual one with just a quick search. You could possibly find it cheaper than that.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
You have to think about how popular Frozen became in Japan and how many products, including a Frozen themed PS4 came out.
...if something like this becomes popular, taking the spots over popular anime and Japanese local media then it will become just as relevant as anime and manga to this site.

You can't really compare anime to movies though. Most anime movies are tie ins to television series and meant to be watched fans of said series. Very few anime movies are stand alone features. Anime is primarily a television medium and built around the weekly episode format.

But there are anime movies so yes there is a comparison. Popular forms of entertainment are popular forms of entertainment regardless. It's like saying a fully CG anime isn't an anime because it's not a hand-drawn anime or... stop-motion or puppet movies can't compare to animated or live-action.

Some people find no enjoyment in watching a movie; some find no enjoyment in watching a 20 episode long series. It's subjective to individuals.

There are LOADS of stand-alone anime movies by the way and a lot that go to theater. A lot of REALLY good ones, too. If you think they're all simply tie-ins you're SORELY miss-informed. Studio Ghibli should be evidence enough of that. TV series add-ons is no different than our made-for-tv bull-crap and reboots that is the same stuff over-and-over again. But then again Hollywood is just full of sequels anyway so they're no better.

Regardless, entertainment is entertainment. And, at this point, the interests bleed. I wouldn't be surprised if a manga isn't made of Star Wars at this point.
...Oh, that's right, there IS a Star Wars manga edition.

And I can't compare them?

Allow me to take Unico, one of my favorite Anime movies and compare it to Little Mermaid, my favorite Disney movie.. They're both products of their time one from before the error of censorship even of anime translations in the United States. They both showed me fantastic worlds that I loved and I enjoyed watching the movies constantly. I saw them as no different than each other: both movies I enjoyed. So yeah, I'll compare ANIME and movies all I want.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:37 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
Well it is over a year old at this point. So it's year-old limited edition so yeah, it's got the whole "collector's value" price point. I couldn't find it on Play-Asia. I checked there first. Ebay was the only place I could find the actual one with just a quick search. You could possibly find it cheaper than that.

That's fine. I like Frozen, but I'm not a super-fan to acquire one around that price. I'll just see if something else that's really interesting comes by for less.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

That's fine. I like Frozen, but I'm not a super-fan to acquire one around that price. I'll just see if something else that's really interesting comes by for less.

Well, there has been both Nendroid figures Elsa and Figurart figures of Elsa and Anna. I was tempted to buy the Nendroid one at one point but never did. They looked really nice.
...There are probably also Frozen themed little Tsum-Tsums but those you can probably find locally.

Other than that the best merchandise is long gone sold as limited Editions (those dolls that Disney store released), the PS4 that is now being sold only by those that bought them, and things that just are "collectible" that didn't catch.

But if you've never seen the play figure set's that Disney store puts out, they're actually nice little collector sets: http://www.disneystore.com/figure-sets-play-sets-more-toys-frozen-figure-play-set/mp/1358350/1000262/

The only good Japanese products though are, as I said, the Figurarts and the Nendroid. Smile I know ANN here covered the Nendroid at one point. Not sure about the Figurarts figures.

Here's what the Figurarts looks like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frozen-Elsa-Anna-Figures-BANDAI-Figuarts-Zero-Free-Shipping-From-Japan-/262013238579
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
Heh, pretty neat. It's always interesting to me how people in Japan approach western franchises, as we're on a website that's all about the other way around. I got all the Frozen stuff I want though. My interest in that PS4 was that, if I were to get a system like that, it would've been even better to get it on an interesting theme.

I know of places to get rare Tsum Tsums offline, by the way. I don't collect them though, but I know people who do.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
....My interest in that PS4 was that, if I were to get a system like that, it would've been even better to get it on an interesting theme.....

Keep a look out, then. 'Cause they like to release loads of Limited Edition PS4s in Japan. Right now it's the Star Ocean ones...
...and Street Fighter V ones on pre-order.

You pretty much have to get the popular series ones RIGHT as they announce them, though, or you'll get the Collector's Price.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
That's fine. Based on what you say, they keep coming out with more of them, so when one finishes up, another limited theme will appear soon after.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3