• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Prince of Stride: Alternative (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I think that a school and a top fashion business alike would get into a lot of trouble if they were caught forcing a student to model, but crossdress and have pictures taken against their will. Actually getting sponsored, I think that the implication is that they are unlikely being paid, and was signed by their advisor, which I am sure there is some law.

Got a bit annoyed by the surprises in the episode: "What! He is our advisor and coach?" "What! Your older sister is a director of a fashion company?" "What! He makes a pretty girl?" "What! We are going against a powerhouse?" Except just imagine each of those are the characters going "Heeeeeeh!?". Maybe I am just coming from having watched so much but none of it really felt worth any shock.

Oh, and I laughed after the mysterious long haired guy said what he did about running when the wind blows. It kind of felt just random stuff one might say to sound deep in any situation. "The wind is troubled today. But this wind is weeping just a little." That is just a couple sentences that it reminded me of.

I don't think it is all negative though.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

"OK, so we got a bunch of cute boys, but they'll be running and sweaty most of the time. We need more appeal"
"Well, we could dress them up in several types of different clothes, I guess?"
"Brilliant"

I guessed Yagami had some history with Stride by the reactions of the club members on the second episode, and here we can see it's going by-the-book. Not surprising, but not bad, either.
I noticed the animation being kinda bad this episode, but nothing that made me dislike it. I actually liked this episode as much as the first one, the comedy was kind of tongue-in-cheek and the action was alright too.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

The sneaky no nonsense teacher amused me. The modeling bit didn't surprise me, but it did have it's funny moments. Just for the fun of it, I think I may start counting how many times you hear the hand slap/clap (?) noise.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

That was better than I had thought. Not much filler stuff but got right into the competition. Saisei is definitely a team not to be underestimated and they proved themselves as they took the victory. However, I expect rematch in the future.

Good music usage and coordination of the striding as well.

I'm impressed by this week's episode, hope it can keep it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Galaxy Standard] make an appearance.
Those guys were pretty friendly.
New opponents, new race!
Those guys had interesting tactics to throw off their opponents.
The race was fun & intense!
Really enjoyed this episode.
It's official, I'll be watching this.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I was a bit confused by the part where we saw the runners talk while there was a computer image of the course next to them. I kind of felt that it was not obvious that the computer image was supposed to be showing what their course was going to be, so it had me thinking that it might have been the runner before them, and it was right before they switch over. It possibly was just my mistake, but I think the show could have done something to make it work more.

I am going to be unfair and compare it to Haikyuu, and say that it did not do enough to make the audience feel pumped or care about the characters and where they fit in. Or really same for Free. Although I thought one scene with a character having water on their face was a bit Haru like.

And it feels like the show it is ignoring its female character, Nana, more than it should. Now that might sound a little silly when she shows up quite a bit and is through the race, but it kind of ignores that she is literally what is holding the entire team together. Her decision of telling one of the boys to start running will be the deciding factor, and for team strategy. Fine if the show wants to be all the boys, but position gives her the prime chance to be involved in each of the boys' physical abilities, their frame of mind, and really relationships. Big excuse for each boy to have a different relationship with her as she is the voice in their ears telling them what is happening and what to do.

I guess you could say that Gou never really had a part like that in Free!, but she got away with her muscle fetish as comic relief and a relationship to one of the principle characters not part of the team. Nana does not have that, but she is part of the team, even this early on I feel she is underutilised. And here I am as a straight male saying how a show is not being reverse harem enough. Well I don't think the fujoshi are getting much anyway.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Well that got rough. I mean, this is a high level match that Honan's Stride club got themselves involved in.

Nagatsuka looks like a Titan LOL. Almost a scary though that Kadowaki had to face someone like that.

And that shortcut during the race was quite the risk. First half was boring to me except for some of the race obstacle mechanics. Second half was much more thrilling with the race. What I find interesting is how they use the music for this series. Quite well done there. Kadowaki was quite a daredevil imo with that shortcut. I give him some praise for that just because of the risk involved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
Practicing gimmicks... spoiler[Ayumu] really tried.
spoiler[Yagami] sure is cheerful ^^
No wonder since they're at a spoiler[hot spring].
spoiler[Fujiwara] was harassing everyone... ROFL those BL moments.
End of summer battle time!
spoiler[Ayumu did himself in, but at least they finally won!]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
I liked this episode more because it actually put some focus on the importance on Sakurai part of the team, that effectively they won because they could rely on her watching over. The runner on the other team got distracted which messed him up because he was playing both roles.

We have seen some practice, but it seems pretty minimal, like we have just jumped into competition when they are effectively a pretty new team.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Ah, Kuga...I think he's the most misunderstood characters in this series. Got mixed thoughts about him but he definitely fits on the team. And it's also nice to see more of his background story too. Good to see him return at the end.

On another note, Ayumu should be making a recovery soon. This just goes to show how risky striding can be when not careful...
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Since Ayumu is in hospital, there a member short.
Time to recruit someone fast!
spoiler[Hozumi was feeling really bad about Ayumu..
Kugu]
doesn't seems like the best replacement considering the past.
spoiler[He might bring them victory, but...
It was brave of Hasekura to ask him.]

We'll see how it'll function in the next race.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
So they are waiting to sign up for a race, in full gear which says that they are about to race, and the guy only shows up just before the need to sign team up, clearly for dramatic purposes. Kind of a dick move that he waited so long to show up, they could have straight out dropped out because he gave little indication he was going. Would he have had to sign up with the school to say that he would be at this athletic event? Don't know about Japan, but I think schools often require some sort signing a form to say that they accept the risks of a school club activity. And that does not even touch what the show says so much about it being important for practice in connecting athletes to each other. Does she even know how he runs to tell him when to go or when to tell the one after him to get ready?

Overall I think the show is being far too overdramatic. Covering for abuse of the senior, perhaps partially responsible for damage along with a bad call, and perhaps giving him some record for getting in a "brawl" just does not make sense.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
There's not a lot about this show that makes sense, you just have to turn off your brain and enjoy the pretty colors. Smile

I don't think they were going to race that day, they just showed up in uniform to mark their team. Unlike baseball or basketball, their gear looks ok for streetwear, so since it's outside anyway, they don't look odd suiting up for a drawing. But I could be wrong, and they really are going to race with no practice with their new member. I wouldn't put it past this series to do that.

Also, maybe it's different in Japan, but a broken collar bone doesn't require a hospital stay or mumification. They just slap a brace on you (like a Jansport pack with no pack) and send you home. You can have a sling if you ask.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Interesting episode with tons of action.

I feel like this race would of been better if it was slightly longer but was still a fun watch overall with the players' rivalry. Glad to see that Kyousuke is officially part of the team now and he played his role well. They deserved that victory too and it was well earned. Ah, this show got better now. I had my doubts at first for the first three or so episodes but these last few episodes have been good. I hope the team can maintain this momentum because they have a lot of potential. Quite excited to see what else this team will do in the future.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't think they were going to race that day, they just showed up in uniform to mark their team. Unlike baseball or basketball, their gear looks ok for streetwear, so since it's outside anyway, they don't look odd suiting up for a drawing. But I could be wrong, and they really are going to race with no practice with their new member. I wouldn't put it past this series to do that.

You were saying?

It is okay, somehow she was able to "visualise" how he runs despite only seeing him run in that video.

Also, maybe I am just trying to pick a problem, but was one of the checkpoints a train station? Are we meant to believe they entirely blocked entrance and exit from a station for a high school match. I imagine having these races set up must really disrupt the businesses in the area.

And I was not entirely fond of how antagonistic they were making the other team, it feels kind of cheap. Mostly because I have been watching a sports anime that can make every team lovable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4