• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Big Order (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote

Big Order (TV)

Genres: magic
Themes: post-apocalyptic

Plot Summary: Eiji Hoshimiya is an introverted high school student with a huge secret — he wished for the destruction of the world when he was younger. Fairies give certain people special powers called Orders. What Order Users can do with their power depends on their wishes. 10 years after the Great Destruction, Eiji struggles to come to terms with his immense power.
----------------------------------

From the same author as Mirai Nikki, character designs are expected to look similar but the story will be quite different. Looking forward to seeing how they will adapt this considering the manga story is still ongoing at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Yup, I got some Mirai Nikki vibes from this. Even Rin displays quite a bit of her darker side when tricking Eiji. The storytelling feels rather generic for a start so far imo but I think that was to be expected.

I think soundtrack is actually good so far for this series. We'll probably get the OP and ED theme song next time.

Lol, I bet this show will have a lot of cliffhangers...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
For my viewing experience, it delves into a "so bad ITS GOOD" type of media, if you found yourself enjoying Mirai Nikki for whatever reason then yeah this is more of the same flavor in regards to story telling.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Very surprised this was allowed to air. Bad enough the episode was called "Big Destruction", but it opens with a major disaster killing tons of people.

Yeah... This was really terrible. I'll give it an episode or 2 , but if nothing changes I'm out.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Very surprised this was allowed to air.

Why surprised? I didn't see anything I haven't seen in other works.

This was not at all as bad as it sounded from Jacob Chapman's review. Glad I checked it out for myself. Thought it was going to be borderline hentai or something.

However, it still has plenty of flaws. The animation in general was not very good. The first two minutes were "What is your wish?" constantly repeated. We still don't know the point of the series. The sound quality was super dull and dirty, (I could barely hear a note, and I watch my anime on an audiophile set up). And so on. Still, I thought Big Order was average enough for me to check out episode 2.

My order? I'll have what he's having Cool
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I don't think it was awful, but the first episode felt way too busy. Although I was kind of feeling compelled to find out what his power was before the episode ended, I feel like to get there too much has to be set up and covered that I think a slower pace might have been better. Despite that I do think the ideas are interesting where a child's naïve wish accidentally brought ruin is an interesting one. Followed up with the fact he is going to use his powers that essentially make him a villain through spoiler[domination], it might prove an interesting watch. The plot does feel a little dark over the top dream for adolescence, but Death Note and Geass are not too different. And I was fond of how horrible it was in the end of him spoiler[dominating] the girl who came to kill him, which I wonder how it might go with the usual story of a girl following the hero when we know that she has spoiler[been brainwashed against her will].

Although I am not so sure how I feel about too dark a story.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Very surprised this was allowed to air.

Why surprised? I didn't see anything I haven't seen in other works.

It just seems like this would've been pulled, given the current situation. The last time this happened, TokyoMagnitude was pulled from shelves, and Madoka Magica was delayed for months.
Noctis313

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
lol, i dont know where all this hate came from
felt like code geass combined with mirai nikki, very promising for me since i loved both
A complain i have is that epi 1 couldve been a lot better if we didn't have this "old style soundtrack" playing on thrilling suspense moments . I hope they use something that reminds the mirai nikki soundtrack on the next episodes, when it gets darker and darker as im expecting
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

That...was awkward.

The episode felt almost like a comedy at some parts because of how much of a fail Rin is when trying to kill Eiji. Meanwhile, I guess the storytelling about Sena works. Not sure how that will fit for the main season though. Oh and the other Orders....when I saw that scene, I was instantly reminded of Mirai NIkki's first episode.

OP song is alright I guess.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Why would they want some kid to be their king? It does not quite feel like a plot hole, they mentioned that he will be somewhat a puppet, but the fact that they let him dominate them makes me wonder. The silver haired guy especially looks like he planned that. I wonder if someone had an ability to turn powers back onto the other person they could essentially control him and the guise that they were being dominated.

A bit sick in how he made immortal assassin his "wife", well it created a bunch of conflicting emotions in her that just highlight how it is messing with her freedom. I do wonder if she could come to the realisation that if she created a situation where both of them would die that she could still come out of it. Although I will take the fact that she sabotaged herself each time by walking into traps first or falling off first as being the command actually taking effect even subconsciously. It still makes it all messed up.

Stark700 wrote:
The episode felt almost like a comedy at some parts because of how much of a fail Rin is when trying to kill Eiji.

It kind of felt a bit Angel Beats, how it can be a serious drama series, but characters dying gruesomely can be just comedy because they can come back.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why would they want some kid to be their king? It does not quite feel like a plot hole, they mentioned that he will be somewhat a puppet, but the fact that they let him dominate them makes me wonder. The silver haired guy especially looks like he planned that. I wonder if someone had an ability to turn powers back onto the other person they could essentially control him and the guise that they were being dominated.

I am more of a mind that it has something to do with removing Rin from the room before he "made a contract" with all the brass, even though Rin cannot kill Eiji (or his sister) that doesn't remove the nature that Rin could say kidnap and torture Eiji, there are fates far worst than death and Rin in her desperation for revenge might learn something about the concept in the long run.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa, whoa. The younger sister reads Nietzsche? What are the Japanese assigning to children for reading assignments?

I found the tsun-yandere antics quite funny. I find the tension between Kurenai and Eiji to be funny because of this. It adds more to the somewhat artificial (how i view it at least) revenge hatred of Kurenai. I'm just as confused as to the motivations of the Ten, Mr. Long SIlvery Hair definitely has malicious intentions but the reactions of two different orders seem to indicate they all have different motives. And did anyone catch where the chain hit the diviner? It was. . . surprising if it hit where I'm thinking.

My biggest question is how his wish actually caused all the destruction. I understand that physics don't apply and he can control all objects in said area but what kind of desires occurred to cause such global disaster. In addition, the fairy said she limited his power to 1/10,000th of its original radius but if he caused global destruction, 1/10,000th is still larger than what we were shown. Or maybe I'm just being dumb and overthinking and most likely calculated wrong.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I understand that physics don't apply and he can control all objects in said area but what kind of desires occurred to cause such global disaster. In addition, the fairy said she limited his power to 1/10,000th of its original radius but if he caused global destruction, 1/10,000th is still larger than what we were shown. Or maybe I'm just being dumb and overthinking and most likely calculated wrong.

The show has been a bit odd about some of this facts. Like if Japan came under control of the UN it would imply that Japan was at least hit worse than elsewhere. It also seems like quite a bit of work for the UN to keep that power going rather than setting up its own government. Which now that I think about it might imply that maybe people on the outside knowing such power came from within Japan and they want it for themselves so they have been manipulating some opinions of Orders, and the people introduced are essentially getting revenge for some things.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My biggest question is how his wish actually caused all the destruction. I understand that physics don't apply and he can control all objects in said area but what kind of desires occurred to cause such global disaster. In addition, the fairy said she limited his power to 1/10,000th of its original radius but if he caused global destruction, 1/10,000th is still larger than what we were shown. Or maybe I'm just being dumb and overthinking and most likely calculated wrong.

It is a narrative "get out of obvious story fail" device so when Eiji is finally allowed to "take off the gloves" it will make complete sense why NO ONE will be able to oppose him even if they tried.

This reminds me of the VERY first chapter of Sora No Otoshimono, spoiler[Tomoki unwittingly requests to be ruler of the world and then Ikaros determines that "no one would tangibly accept Tomoki as the ruler of the world" so the solution Ikaros comes up with was to simply REMOVE EVERY PERSON FROM EXISTENCE ON THE PLANET (this gets swiftly and comically reset]).

Back to Mirai Nikki the Remake, Eiji's power when it will eventually be used to its fullest will simply mean he is a living god and only someone with an equally potent or outright ability trumping Order would compete if Eiji wasn't on a limiter.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'll be totally straightforward. Future Diary (or, if you're stupid, THE Future Diary) is one of the worst anime I've ever seen. Sure, there are worse in terms of quality, but those are usually one note harem anime. This thing is trying so hard to impress and feels like it has so much potential that when it fails at everything, it's a special kind of frustrating rather than a simple shrug of the shoulders.

All I'm saying is, Future Diary was bad and I don't expect much from this creator. As such, if this show finishes and ends up being good at all, I owe the mangaka a personal apology.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3