• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hundred (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Hundred (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, science fiction
Themes: aliens, harem

Plot Summary: "Hundred"—that is the only weapon that can oppose the mysterious life form "Savage" from visiting the earth.
The protagonist, Kirasagi Hayato, aims to become a Martial Arts Master using this Hundred. He managed to get into the battleship university Little Garden.

However—

"I wanted to see you, Hayato!!!"
"H-How do you know my name?"

Around the roommate, Emil Crossford, who somehow knows him well (?), Hayato gets an uneasy feeling.
What's more, just after the entrance ceremony, he gets asked for a duel by the campus' strongest martial arts master "Queen" Claire Harvey...!?

The ultimate academy battle begins here!
----------------------------------

Another battle harem series. For some reason, this one reminds me of Infinite Stratos especially with the preview.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Well think of it as Infinite Stratos if Charlotte was the main heroine (and Ichika wasn't as dense).
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Hundred reminds me of a lot of shows...

Hayato seems like he's famous at the school already. Little Garden's a weird name for an academy. Yeah, I'm not expecting much from this series except for the action. Claire reminds me of someone really familiar for some reason. Looks like we'll have duel/battle next time between her and Hayato.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Eh, it was okish, I think? I'm not excited about another clueless wishy washy main character and I'm not digging the female character designs, but the opening and ending seemd decent. Overall I don't have a strong impression on this yet, but at least it started off better than Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
At least they are not trying the "he is the ONLY male in the academy" approach, though being top ranking applicant is a different kind of silliness for a premise.

The first episode was decent for this type of set up, if the action sequences is as solid this will be a regular show for my viewings.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Watched this after Cerberus...My head hurts... I wouldn't mind some originality this anime season. Please.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Watched this after Cerberus...My head hurts... I wouldn't mind some originality this anime season. Please.

The best we can hope is simply decent execution at times.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Originality has long been dead. All ideas have been done already. Sooner you accept this, the more you'll be able to enjoy things.

Anyways, this is actually off to a pretty decent start. Main thing I worry about LN shows these days is how rushed things feel but I didn't get that here.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Originality has long been dead.

I absolutely cannot accept this sort of thinking. But, to each their own.

But I do agree with Fenix. Good execution can be just as enjoyable, as Konosuba proved last season. I'll give this a few more episodes.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
I absolutely cannot accept this sort of thinking.

People seem to think that coming up with something 'original' is so easy but when pressed to do so themselves they've got nothing.

As a media consuming culture we've been exposed to many different stories and whether we realise it or not we've internalized the various tropes, clichés, morals, etc. When we try to come up with our own stories we subconsciously draw from this pool of elements. Even if some one can recognise this and purposely try to subvert it, several other people have had the same thought already. It's a no win situation so just write whatever the hell you want.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, man, didn't mean to come off like I was attacking you. Just disagree that it's dead. Sorry if I came off as rude.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Ignoring the question of originality, which really doesn't matter. I'd like to question some of the internal logic of the show.

Let's see if I got this correctly. Earth is under attack by aliens. They can only be damaged, much less defeated by special weapons and the weapons can only be wielded by special individuals with inborn talents. That is not just anyone can be taught to do this. The threat is sufficiently severe that the world has set up city sized ships to act as a training base.

In spite of this the student government members are able to expel qualified candidates more or less on a whim. They are also willing to force a fight on the individual tested as having the most potential talent. A fight that apparently could result in disability or death in spite of his having no training. In this connection I should note that the bit about working together in combat is true, but it is something you get by training that is not inherent.

Either they have more "special" people than they can use, or the threat is not that severe. I think the idea of a student government running a school has gotten out of hand.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
The set-up honestly reminds me of a poorly-done Chrome Shelled Regios. Actually, thinking on it, it reminds me a LOT of Regios. I'll give it a few more episodes before making my judgement, but now I really wanna rewatch Regios. Or read the novels, now that fans have finished translating them.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Whoa, man, didn't mean to come off like I was attacking you. Just disagree that it's dead. Sorry if I came off as rude.

You didn't. It's just something I see everywhere: people demanding originality and treating authors who use well worn ideas like talentless hacks. Yet if you tell them to come up with an original idea they'll find it's not that easy.

So instead of worry about your story being original or whatever, tell the story you want to tell. If the author wants to have a go at the magic high school stories he enjoys he should be allowed to. You don't have to like the final product, of course, but he has the right to tell the story according to his vision.

Besides, If two people each draw a circle, each circle will be not-round in its own ways.

Alan45 wrote:
Either they have more "special" people than they can use, or the threat is not that severe. I think the idea of a student government running a school has gotten out of hand.

I dunno, that auditorium is pretty full so it doesn't seem like Hundred users are all that rare. The student government makes sense, as those elite are likely the ones who'll get commanding ranks in the future so it's best to cultivate their leadership skills now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

The main character looks like a clone of a character I have seen in a dozen different shows, and his backstory. Well leaving that aside. He has a flash of the past where he was with some girl that he does not remember, and then he runs into "totally not a girl" Emile who seems to know who he is personally. Yeah, we all know that Emile is that girl. Would have almost been more interesting if there was not really any heroine like this and Emile was just an effeminate guy.

I don't like to use this word, but the student president is a b!tch, just suddenly trying to expel students over being late from something that they were supposed to do made worse by an unexpected event, and someone talking back at her. And then she puts it on having a fight with a new student. I could see it coming, but that is a terrible personality, and we are probably going to be made to think she is actually not so bad. Well at least it is interesting that it is partially the MC's fault that he will fix. Also Emile for actually trying to stand up for them.

Quite cliché, but a good delivery can save something, and I don't mind this genre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5