• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace of Diamond (TV) (All Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
who is that third guy with Tetsu and Tanba, the one Zono assured that he would do something next game?

Masaaki Kadota. He played left field, I think.

Btw, does anyone know what Kosei was referring to when he thought Mishima reminded him of a weird-looking horned mascot that was in the news?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 37:
Interesting to see that Ichidai could be a player who could make bit differences on this team. A good amount of focus about Kosei this episode to. The coaches' commentary in the background for this episode were also quite meaningful.

ED card:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Totally forgot about Miyuki getting run over when Furuya asked him if he was coming to the hospital too. I thought the implication was that Miyuki said he wasn't going so that Furuya could lie about the severity of his injury later and still pitch tomorrow even if he was hurt.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 39:

LOL, Raichi's speech was funny. Short but to the point.

I honestly can't wait for the finals soon. Should be an interesting match and I wonder how Furuya will play his role. Got quite a bit of laughs from this week's episode with the comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they've put the series back on the time-stretcher rack again. :/

Poor Kuramochi, he's being put in exactly the same situation he was in with Ryuosuke about whether to snitch about an injury. What did he learn from that?

All I can say is, it better be his ribs or spleen. Tables will be flipped if it's his shoulder, since we already went through that with Chris. What did Miyuki learn from that?

Furuya's aura blast still makes me laugh. You'd think that would get really old, but somehow it never does for me.

So is there just one Koshien tournament in the summer, and they have until then to prepare if they win this fall tournament, or does Koshien happen twice a year? If it's all in the summer, do the teams that lost this fall get another shot to qualify in the spring? I still don't quite grasp all the details around when series are held, who's still eligible to play them, etc., and this goes for volleyball and basketball too.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So is there just one Koshien tournament in the summer, and they have until then to prepare if they win this fall tournament, or does Koshien happen twice a year? If it's all in the summer, do the teams that lost this fall get another shot to qualify in the spring? I still don't quite grasp all the details around when series are held, who's still eligible to play them, etc., and this goes for volleyball and basketball too.

There are two Koshien tournaments, one in the spring and one in the summer. There is also a lesser tournament in Tokyo in the fall, the Meiji Jingu Baseball Tournament, whose winner is guaranteed a spot in the spring Koshien. You can find more info on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_school_baseball_in_Japan (that page also has links to pages for the spring and summer tournaments, which have yet more info)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
So they're playing in the MJ tournament now to secure a spot in the spring? I do recall them saying there were teams from all over in this rather than just whittling down all the Tokyo schools like they were doing when the 3rd years were still playing.

"In November 2004, in response to a growing trend among Japan's youths, the Baseball Federation announced that players could not participate with dyed-hair or shaved eyebrows."

So Ogawa couldn't play even if they'd won. I guess he'd have time to grow them back by spring, but doesn't that rule apply to all the games and not just the Koshien ones? Plus, his coach being involved in the hitting a student scandal would also probably disqualify their team. But seriously, why would not having eyebrows be an affront to baseball?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Ogawa could slide by on the technicality that his eyebrows were plucked by not entirely missing?

Anyway, episode 39...

Mostly just a 'calm before the storm' breather episode. I prefer these to episodes where we watch other teams play, but this one didn't have much going on. It's nice to catch up with the third years again, though, even as we're learning more about the newer first string players. I like Aso's design. And aw, shy Raichi is sort of adorable.

Furuya's injured, Miyuki's injured...not so great for the team. At least they're aware of Furuya's ankle and can stop him from further damaging it. Miyuki plans to just soldier through it. Obviously he knows better--he's not encouraging Furuya to hide his injury and he saw what Chris went through. It'll be pretty awkward/tense when the team inevitably finds out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
Well, I expect he'll have to sit out at least part of the upcoming game, because you can't show kids playing injured with no consequences, and if he messes himself up too badly, he'll be out for Koshien, and we can't have that either.

So I think they'll use this as an opportunity to show that the team is a team and not a star wagon and that other players can step up to fill the roles of the temporarily fallen and all that noble stuff, and give them some screen time too. :D

And yeah, shy Raichi was adorable. :)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 116

It's always so heartwarming when the shy kids get to shine and show the people who've written them off. Nerd daydreams, I guess. Smile But Raichi's classmates were fun to watch.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
Kuramochi is a certain kind of awesome.

Interesting to see Seido doing well so far. I mean, their hard work and training does pay off. And also lovely the stylistic pitching in this week's episode. Just lovely.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
Nori is so awesome. Even when he isn't really playing, he still offers energy and support to the team. Nice. Glad to see Sawamura in action again and I think he has improved.

Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, I expect he'll have to sit out at least part of the upcoming game, because you can't show kids playing injured with no consequences, and if he messes himself up too badly, he'll be out for Koshien, and we can't have that either.

In this case though, they don't get to immediately go to a Koshien- winning the fall tournament wins them a spot in the Spring Invitational Koshien. There's a separate "lesser" national tournament after this, but I don't think it comes immediately after this one.
While it is important to rest for the future, this might be their last big game for weeks.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I like Raichi's dad. He has the best reactions.

Poor Kawakami. Finally gets some real airtime and then this happens... Sort of felt unfair of the coach though? His hand was numb and he couldn't control the ball well. Wasn't like he was being cocky or airheaded. Even if he hadn't started to panic, I doubt it would've made much of a difference. But aw, Furuya's reaction was nice.

And everyone is pretty much aware that Miyuki is hiding an injury. Well, that didn't last long. Next ep is sure to be tense. I'll miss Shirasu's shifty glances whenever he saw Miyuki, though. That character needs more development.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
If the Coach knew Kawakami was injured, wouldn't he have had the trainer look at him right away? It's not like he can pitch any more this game. I'm not sure he knew.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 23