• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xyz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping it wasn't going to happen. He was my favorite guy and I was going to ship him with the blue hair girl. But they had to stab the knife into my heart and twisted it a few then ripped my heart out. With my favorite guy gone, I don't know if I want to watch this anymore. Damn it, why did they have the picture at the end of the whole cast when Manato would die 4 ep in? I'm mad as hell and I can't take it anymore.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile Manato's ghost is all:

His master was just being a dick.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Well....they got a new party member: Mary. Yeah, she's nothing like Manato, pretty much the exact opposite by her arrogant personality. Although right now, I'm glad they introduced her since she is an important character.

RIP Manato.

For real though, the party really feels the pain of losing him especially Haru and Yue. RIP Man. Lol, somehow the show still finds a way to adapt some comedy and misunderstanding scenes in this...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lone_Crow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I am getting tired of the slow pacing. Sure, they needed some drama after Manato died, but it is episode 5 and they are still struggling with gobs. They need to up the pace. That beeing said, I still like it for beeing more realistic than most other anime out there.

Question of the day: Is Manato really dead or did he wake up irl?

Oh, and personally I think Marie had some good points. A priest is supposed to stay back and focus on healing, and if she has limited mana it might be a good idea to wait with the healing of small injuries until after the fight is done.

Ranta is the annoying one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote
Lone_Crow wrote:
I am getting tired of the slow pacing. Sure, they needed some drama after Manato died, but it is episode 5 and they are still struggling with gobs. They need to up the pace. That beeing said, I still like it for beeing more realistic than most other anime out there.

Ok, so it is a problem because our characters are still struggling with goblins? What do you perceive is the goal of the anime? Is it for our characters to reach the sort of level of soldiers we saw that guy in this episode? Is this a story where what is important is getting to the end of the game like scenario? I don't think it is, Instead this is a show about all the small things that are actually important that happen in-between, the little battles of character growth that is important, and the a lot of the fantasy stuff is a backdrop. Kind of like how an anime set in a high school is not necessarily about having a high school life and/or learning, it can still have importance, but may not always be so.

I actually had the thought lately that Grimgar is a lot like Kokoro Connect. On the surface a somewhat standard series with conflicts that are not too uncommon conflicts, but underneath it is a very thought out character piece that puts great a lot of attention on the little things and how characters react to it. In the end the "why" or "how" of their situation is not as important as the how and why characters react to their situation. We are so used to the super strong and stable super human characters, that we end up thinking that characters bellow that are failures and that they don't have any story worth telling. But such lower characters are more human, and for that reason their stories are really important.

For my response to the episode. I think rather than thinking that the mood of the episode was ruined at the end by the misunderstanding, I think it is also worth taking into consideration that there was actually a bit of a difference between the reaction of Haruhiro and Yume. It is pretty clear that Yume likes him, you might not consider it in a lustful way, because Yume has continuously conveyed that she is comfortable around him. Yume said that she would not have felt so off if it was Haruhiro who had almost seen her in the bath, of which she followed with it still would have been a problem, she was not meaning to say that she wanted him to see her. The way that she is often seen with him in a position innocently showing off herself when the two of them are having a conversation when scouting or so, is an expression of the relationship that she is comfortable to leave herself like so. And also that he is attracted to her, but he does not to do wrong by her so he tries not to focus on it. To him he sees the relationship that it is open for him to make mistakes and cause problems, but to Yume it is supposed to be all equal.

As loud and obnoxious as Ranta is, his actions this week was of questioning why he and the group have to do this dangerous work anyway, and it is the question they all should have asked. Ranta is not a bad guy, it might seem odd that he is so angry and that such actions are not helpful to those around him, but it is how he is dealing with the situation. I think that the new character, Mary, might be a great match when paired with Ranta. Mary was kind of relentless in getting proper consideration that almost already having Ranta act differently. At the same time Mary is not perfect herself where she is super uncooperative, and if I had to make a guess of why she acts so, it might be similar to why Ranta acts the way he does. I think Mary is scared, she does not want to put herself in danger so she is always being so conservative that she is actually neglecting the needs of others. One deals with their fear by putting on a loud front and running in screaming, the other deals with the fear by staying distant from others, sticking to the cold rules of her class, and out of danger. I would not be surprised to learn if Mary had lost other people before, we will probably find out more next episode.

Also mention for Moguzo for shouting at the other two to stop fighting and that they had to think of their next move.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
I still think the group hasn't got to grips with the whole 'Holy Trinity' (Tank, DPS, Healer) setup that is very prominent in most RPG's. They expect everyone to be on the front line fighting and ultimately that is their downfall.

Manato died because they were using the priest as an off-tank. As Kikkawa explained, Priests are squishy, produce a lot of threat and they die easy. So it's Manato's fault he died. He should have chosen a Paladin class if he wanted to heal and be at the front.

But I totally agree with Mary. She's not a front line fighter, she needs to conserve 'mana', so it's the party that has to adapt, not her. Though her attitude could do with a little adjusting. Oh, they've also altered her look from the LN's where she has a longer version of Shihoru's style.

Whilst I am enjoying Grimgar, I would now like it to now move on from the lingering 'Manato's Death'. It's perfectly fine to be saddened from the loss of a friend, but "Manato done this... Manato done that... We couldn't have done it with Manato..." is starting to grind on me a little.

What happens if someone else dies? Are we going to have another two-three episodes of mourning over them?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
What happens if someone else dies? Are we going to have another two-three episodes of mourning over them?

But wasn't there only one episode mourning Manato? The end of the previous episode barely counts as spending an episode mourning a character. This episodes title was "Crying Doesn't Mean You're Weak. Enduring Does Not Mean You're Strong.", understandably the entire thing would be about them dealing with the loss. Next episode is titled "Her Circumstances", which clearly means it will be on Mary and likely how she will fit in with the group. Yes Manato will be mentioned, maybe both in how she will be taking his role a priest and Haruhiro will be taking the position of leader, but that barely mean they are having "two-three episodes of mourning".
Lone_Crow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ok, so it is a problem because our characters are still struggling with goblins? What do you perceive is the goal of the anime? Is it for our characters to reach the sort of level of soldiers we saw that guy in this episode? Is this a story where what is important is getting to the end of the game like scenario? I don't think it is, Instead this is a show about all the small things that are actually important that happen in-between, the little battles of character growth that is important, and the a lot of the fantasy stuff is a backdrop. Kind of like how an anime set in a high school is not necessarily about having a high school life and/or learning, it can still have importance, but may not always be so.

No, your inflating what I said. i want them to grow skillwise as well, but not necessarily become living gods.
If you set up a fantasy game world then you better use it. All we have seen so far is that dreary town, their house and those ruins. The skills they have learnt so far are underwhelming. World exploration, skill acquisition, tactics and new monsters are key elements in a game, so why are they beeing so poorly prioritized?

The world they have set up so far is pretty sterile - all we see are still pictures of the town and other people there - and the overarching storyline is not progressing at all, which is a key issue here. Like the characters themselves said, they have no motivation to get out of their house to explore the world or encounter new creatures. All they are trying is surviving, and they can easily do that on the gobs, they seem to pay pretty well.
They say that they want to get those badges, but they haven't really explained what is so good about them to warrant 20 silvers.

The storyline just isn't there, that is the problem with this anime.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Lone_Crow wrote:

All they are trying is surviving, and they can easily do that on the gobs, they seem to pay pretty well.

If they can easily live off grinding money from the goblins, then why have we been in mourning the past episode and a half? Manato says Hi!

Lone_Crow wrote:

They say that they want to get those badges, but they haven't really explained what is so good about them to warrant 20 silvers.

I'm pretty sure that they explained the badges in the first episode. Without knowing all the perks off the top of my head, I can at least remember that the badges give you a liveable wage as income. Pretty darn handy if you ask me! Meaning you can spend the money you make on killing goblins and such on better equipment, rather than food and shelter to survive.
Lone_Crow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If they can easily live off grinding money from the goblins, then why have we been in mourning the past episode and a half? Manato says Hi!

Let me rephrase that: Killing gobs seems to be the easiest way to survive there. It is the weakest type of monster, and it is an opponent they already understand, why would they start hunting more dangerous foes?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that they explained the badges in the first episode. Without knowing all the perks off the top of my head, I can at least remember that the badges give you a liveable wage as income. Pretty darn handy if you ask me! Meaning you can spend the money you make on killing goblins and such on better equipment, rather than food and shelter to survive.

I skimmed through episode 1, but the information in it was very sparse. Didn't hear anything about wages. If is their goal then they should talk about it more often and explain it more clearly. I seriously doubt that they would get a wage just to do what they are doing now. Doesn't make any sense to pay to get a wage.
To me it sounds like they might have to take orders or have other responsibilities, and them beeing soldiers and all, those responsibilities would mean fighting. That beeing the case, they would probably have to fight more dangerous foes than gobs. Why would they endanger themselves further if their only goal is to survive?

I might have missed something here, but I just don't see the story unfolding. That beeing said, it is only episode 5 and this seems to be a slower anime. Perhaps their purpose will be made clear soon.
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
I still think the group hasn't got to grips with the whole 'Holy Trinity' (Tank, DPS, Healer) setup that is very prominent in most RPG's. They expect everyone to be on the front line fighting and ultimately that is their downfall.

That trinity is largely an online game setup that need not apply in other context.

In the real world, medics do not have the ability to instantly heal a soldier back to full health. As such, they are not particularly high priority targets, and they often do not even join the frontlines.

In single player RPGs, there is often no dedicated tank and DPS differentiation, because there are usually not well-defined front and back lines.

In P&P RPGs, it's not particularly uncommon for magic to be so abusive that the alleged healer can multi-task as a combat caster, tank, warrior, or all of the above at the same time.

Even in the MMORPG setting, it's not unusual for the healer to be the off-tank by virtue of being able to easily heal himself and by having better than usual protective gear.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I agree that its not all that uncommon to see games where a healer can double as something else like a tank. In this show specifically though it doesn't seem like a priest is meant to be doing that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Shihoru bursts in to apologise, and things kind of go a bit crazy. It gets a bit chaotic, but in truth it is actually kind of health. They are all being open and interacting with each other in ways they may not have been before. They talk things out and become a tighter group.

I kind of figured out halfway through this episode by keeping track of the way Mary acts. It is not that she is being unhelpful, it is that she is consistently having them underestimate her. And oddly she kept seeming to stay really close to Shihoru, which at first might make you think she just wants to stay in the back with the person who has to stay in the back, but there was more to it. Mary was staying the back with Shihoru not because she was not able to fight, but because it added extra security to the person who could not. You could also notice that Mary was making some effort to be friendlier with them. But from experience I can say as a social outcast it can be really hard to put yourself into a group, all the more so if you feel any hostility against you, you feel that you don't belong, and it yet probably only makes others think that you in general don't like them.

What I really like about this show is that while people think it is boring and characters are just being difficult, a lot of the scenes are filled with little details about the characters that explain why they are acting a certain way. Just some small talk between characters could mean a pretty large amount of character growth or detail about a character.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
This anime is slow as hell. I think they can have 100 episode for this anime at this speed.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
It's actually not that slow. Next episode should finish off the first novel, so that's just one extra episode per novel compared to some other titles that cover one book in 6 episodes.

At the very least the pace should pick up afterwards since they'll have to cover the 2nd novel in 5 episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8