• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dagashi Kashi's English Broadcast Dub Casts Todd Haberkorn, Tabitha Ray, Sara Ragsdale

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:47 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
anddo! wrote:
Please keep the people behind the Prison School dub far faaar away from the script. I'm fine with the actors.

Same lead scriptwriter, so looks like you're out of luck, there.

Jamie confirmed on Twitter that she's the editor while Kristen McGuire is writing the scripts. https://twitter.com/marchimark/status/697257028599697409

Prison School's scripts were written by Tyson Rinehart.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
Plenty of fresh new seiyuu in this show. I'll be watching Dagashi Kashi when all the episodes are out. Smile
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
I'm always up for new voice talent, and I'm sure Tabitha Ray will do fine as Hotaru Shidare... I'm more concerned about the ADR Director. Kyle Phillips previously directed the Ultimate Otaku Teacher dub, and that dub wasn't too well received (Neither was the show itself, but still). Afterwards, he directed the Dance with Devils dub and no one's said anything about that dub, so who knows? :p

I don't know what I should expect this time, but I'll keep my expectations lowered just to be safe. I don't care enough about this show to watch it subtitled, so if the dub doesn't work for me, I might just skip this series altogether.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
I'm always up for new voice talent, and I'm sure Tabitha Ray will do fine as Hotaru Shidare... I'm more concerned about the ADR Director. Kyle Phillips previously directed the Ultimate Otaku Teacher dub, and that dub wasn't too well received (Neither was the show itself, but still). Afterwards, he directed the Dance with Devils dub and no one's said anything about that dub, so who knows? :p

I heard that on his Twitter Kyle acknowledged the poor reception for Ultimate Otaku Teacher and so used it as an opportunity to train and showcase new talent. I imagine he did the same for Dance of the Devils, which wasn't that good of a reverse-harem series and consisted of mostly (maybe even all) new VAs.

And to DoDs credit...For a bunch of newbies it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't much to write home about. I would say this- I liked the VA for the main girl, she added more spunk.

So I say we may have hope given how popular this anime is among the Winer anime. Or at least how popular Hotaru is. Speaking of which- am I the only one who's a little freaked out by the style of her eyes?
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:59 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I wonder if I should give this show a 2nd shot with the dub. Sat down to catch the first 3 episodes last night, dropped it halfway through the 2nd. Didn't interest me at all.

While I did think that the whole candy angle wouldn't hold my interest, I was kind of banking on the characters being interesting enough to want to see their antics. That isn't how it panned out for me, sadly.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:07 am Reply with quote
Made it through two minutes of Hotoru before I turned off the dub. Worse than I expected and I really don't know why they were trying to do. Try "seductive" and "driven" not "maniacal" and "out of breath". The differences are not as subtle as you'd think.

Haberkorn and Inman were fine, Pate was off- don't know if it was better than always hearing Hasabe but then again, it's Hasabe- and I never made it to Ragsdale. It's a five person cast, if it's the off season for casting then don't do it.

Having a good voice director used to be a given for Funimation but taking someone from the engineering end instead of a voice actor for a director's slot is probably not the best way to go. They really had little or no expectations for this show, huh?

I subscribed to them for this show; Good thing I'm entertaining myself to listening how hit and miss those dubcasts from last year were. By the way, No-Rin's dub is fantastic but that one was a finished product from 2015 and had directors and voice actors. Too bad they only streamed the first two dub episodes.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Made it through two minutes of Hotoru before I turned off the dub. Worse than I expected and I really don't know why they were trying to do. Try "seductive" and "driven" not "maniacal" and "out of breath". The differences are not as subtle as you'd think.

Well, I enjoyed it! Laughing

Seriously, I had a blast with how Tabitha Ray played Hotoru. Good thing too, because had this dub not been good for me, I probably wouldn't have given this show a shot. Now I'm ready to watch the whole show dubbed.

Everyone else sounded fine, especially Todd Haberkorn. Pate sounded a little off to me at first, too, but he get's the job done. Smile
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:37 am Reply with quote
Other than bringing a dub out quicker, a nice thing about these broadcast dubs is that they often introduce new(er) Funi VA. By newer, I mean that there are some that have been with Funi for years but may have not been in as many shows or haven't had the chance as a lead or supporting character yet
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode 1, thought it was great.

I think the overly dramatic nature of Hotaru's voice fits perfectly and Saya sounded super cute.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2