• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix, DreamWorks' Voltron Reimagining Teased in Image

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:50 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Didn't you hear? Combiner Wars is getting an online animated series this year, too. And not Headmasters, Titan Masters, it's completely different (not really). Wink
That silhouette looks interesting, are those bird wings? And this being DreamWorks I imagine it'll be CG, right?

Emerje
Which reminds me, where is that Combiner Wars series? They announced it last year, we're already on the second to last figure wave, and yet nothing. Well, as long as I find Onslaught and Trailbreaker I'll be happy. And yeah, this looks like CGI.(though I think Turbo fast was 2d animation, so you never know) Dreamworks movies have nice animation...I've never seen their tv shows but hopefully this one looks good. I probably won't watch it, but I'm down for some cool figures.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Just the fanservice jokes and unashamed casting of the lead as a pervert as opposed to the usual chaste shounen protagonist. I like them, but it feels (coincidentally, not deliberately) like a director went "Hey! We're on the same network as Orange is the new Black!"

Given that those were in the manga it was based on, I don't see how that has anything to do with Netflix.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:53 am Reply with quote
It was mostly a joke about how Netflix's originals tend to be like HBO where the sexual content can be kind of in your face. I like Seven Deadly Sins, a lot, and I find it a welcome switch from the usual shounen cliches. But the joke is there.

Voltron Force suuuuuuuucked. The problem was that they were still making the same cartoon writers would make in 1984 when it was 2011. Annoying kid sidekicks, no real sense of majesty from the robot, Deus Ex Machina Vince. That barely flies in the 80's. After Evangelion, Shin Getter Robo, GaoGaiGar, Gurren Lagann, etc, it comes off as pitiful. After the advances in writing, it comes off as full of plot holes. I hope Dreamworks, whatever they do, doesn't need to be uber adult or change the way we look at mecha the way Evangelion or Gurren did. It just needs to be good.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Didn't you hear? Combiner Wars is getting an online animated series this year, too. And not Headmasters, Titan Masters, it's completely different (not really). Wink
That silhouette looks interesting, are those bird wings? And this being DreamWorks I imagine it'll be CG, right?

Emerje
Which reminds me, where is that Combiner Wars series? They announced it last year, we're already on the second to last figure wave, and yet nothing. Well, as long as I find Onslaught and Trailbreaker I'll be happy.

They finished the script in December. They announced today that it'll be eight seven minute shorts starting this summer.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2