• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash English Broadcast Dub Cast Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow Funimation must be expecting this to be their big hit of the season if they put Mike McFarland on it. Though he may just be there to back up Felecia Angelle.

As for the cast the only ones I really know are Ricco Fajardo and Jarrod Greene (the former of which I can't remember the voice). I've also heard of Justin Briner but can't for the life of me remember what he's been in that I've seen.

All in all this was a show I was interested but didn't start watching yet so I'll check out the dub when it drops.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I've also heard of Justin Briner but can't for the life of me remember what he's been in that I've seen..

He's Mika in Seraph of the End, young Worrick in Gangsta, and Qwenthur in Heavy Object. All opposite Micah Solusod, I might add.
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Wow Funimation must be expecting this to be their big hit of the season if they put Mike McFarland on it. Though he may just be there to back up Felecia Angelle.

Agreed. It reminds me of Kevin Seymour's past work with Melissa Williamson (Though I find dubs with two directors to be better than ones by themselves ala, Kevin with Melissa. Matt Greenfield with Amanda Winn Lee.)

Though the show kinda bombed for me when they spent 3 min talking about T&A and lesbian overtones right in the 1st episode. I'll just enjoy the past, "trapped in fantasy/mmo world." stuff thank you.

But maybe I'll watch it along with the dub since I expect good scriptwriting in this compared to the meme/political reference bits in their previous ones.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Hey Jarrod Greene is in a thing, i love his voice.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I've also heard of Justin Briner but can't for the life of me remember what he's been in that I've seen..

He's Mika in Seraph of the End, young Worrick in Gangsta, and Qwenthur in Heavy Object. All opposite Micah Solusod, I might add.

I never finished Gangsta or started Heavy Object but now that you mention it i do vauguely remember his voice from the few episodes of Seraph I've watched. Ill have to go over them again just to reaclimate myself with him.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

I never finished Gangsta or started Heavy Object but now that you mention it i do vauguely remember his voice from the few episodes of Seraph I've watched. Ill have to go over them again just to reaclimate myself with him.

He sounds kinda like a cross between Jerry Jewell and Spike Spencer with a dash of Erik Scott Kimerer thrown in for good measure.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the dub clips for Grimgar and Dagashi Kashi on Funi's Youtube. Not that bad.

Tabitha Ray takes a bit getting used to on DK but she seems to be having fun with the role. Haberkorn is good as well and as i expected Inman is perfect as his dad.

As for Grimgar the VAs sound like they fit the characters they play and it did make me more interested in watching it. So it succeeded in that regard.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
As for the cast the only ones I really know are Ricco Fajardo and Jarrod Greene (the former of which I can't remember the voice).

Oh him, he's the one of them I remember well, I thought Ricco was great as Daryun in Arslan.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:28 am Reply with quote
A lot of New talent here I don't recognize a single one of them. Confused
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:39 am Reply with quote
A girl breaks down crying in a guy's arms, muttering "I'm so useless". Way to make me grit my teeth, dub!

I was hoping the dub writing would make the sexism easier to take but they just made it worse. Before I was just mad that the non fighter came to the girl's rescue because she was scared -and she felt better in his arms even before we knew anything else about them, hehe girls on the battlefield- but now she's crying in his arms because she's useless. The non fighting white mage, the most useless in a fight?

Is that supposed to be a step up from crying from being scared because she's crying because she's useless? They're all useless, it's the point. Do we need a Tom Hanks like character here to yell "There's no crying in goblin hunting!" to point out the sexism?

Yumping Yiminy.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
^ She said "I feel so useless." She was attacked while trying to cast a spell, so she didn't see it coming. If a white mage came to my rescue, I'd feel useless, too! Laughing
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

He sounds kinda like a cross between Jerry Jewell and Spike Spencer with a dash of Erik Scott Kimerer thrown in for good measure.

Also, he sounds like Micah (which is why they're always cast together), who in turn is constantly confused for Johnny Yong Bosch.

This cast seems fitting. The only ones I really know are Briner and Wiedenheft, and that's always a good thing.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
^ She said "I feel so useless." She was attacked while trying to cast a spell, so she didn't see it coming. If a white mage came to my rescue, I'd feel useless, too! Laughing

Of course you would feel useless - you have the King of "I'm Useless" as your profile picture. Joke aside, this show isn't as sexist as other anime typically are (*cough* Naruto *cough*), after all none of these characters can do squat against a measly goblin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1